Need a companion

Old September 6th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Traveller

Default Need a companion

Hi guys,

I am a 22 year old who lives in Canada and am planning to backpack
through Europe for about a month around April 2005. I was looking for
someone else who would like to accompany me, so any of you people out
there who are interested just email me or reply to this post. I would
also appreciate any tips and advice from you guys as this is my first
attempt at backpacking.

Thanks.
Old September 6th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Rita

On 6 Sep 2004 07:09:24 -0700, (Traveller) wrote:

Hi guys,

I am a 22 year old who lives in Canada and am planning to backpack
through Europe for about a month around April 2005. I was looking for
someone else who would like to accompany me, so any of you people out
there who are interested just email me or reply to this post. I would
also appreciate any tips and advice from you guys as this is my first
attempt at backpacking.

Thanks.

I find the concept "backpacking through Europe" to be a bit odd.

Whether one travels with a suitcase or a backpack to hold one's
clothing and other belongings, makes little difference. If you
wish to travel on the cheap, stay in hostels, etc., you don't
need a huge backpack as bedding is supplied. You can get along
nicely with a smallish bag, rinsing out clothing as you go, and
everything you need is available in Europe.

"Real" backpacking to me means going with a pack into the wilderness
and living rough.

Sometimes I travel to Europe with a small backpack, sometimes with
a suitcase on wheels. I travel the same way, whatever the luggage.

A huge backpack in Europe impedes travel, gets filled up with useless
clutter, and is pretty silly, in my view, unless one is really camping
out. It does seem to please those who tote around these monstrous
bags, however, leading them to think they are doing something very
different than budget travelers who carry less bulky stuff on their
backs.

Old September 6th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Jim Ley

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 14:22:28 GMT, Rita
wrote:

"Real" backpacking to me means going with a pack into the wilderness
and living rough.

Yeah, but I think that's more of an Americanism, backpacking has a
much less defined term and doesn't even really talk about large
backpacks, it's more the concept of travelling around an area for a
long period of time with only a poorly defined schedule or route.
high on flexibility long on time.

Jim.

Old September 8th, 2004, 07:02 AM
st

wrote:

[...]

Much more comfortable physically taking a big pack than a suitcase. I
have no qualms walking around with a big pack on my back for an hour
or two. but carrying a suitcase...

--
"It's too late
to be late again

Old September 8th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Andrzej

Much more comfortable physically taking a big pack than a suitcase. I
have no qualms walking around with a big pack on my back for an hour
or two. but carrying a suitcase...

i absolutely agree.. a huge suitcase in europe [or anywhere] impedes travel
(so to speak)

i find it much better to have the luxury of a harness no matter what type of
travel you are doing