Glacier National Park in May

Old April 12th, 2005, 05:38 PM
David & Barbara Schmidt

Default Glacier National Park in May

We are thinking of taking a trip from Mt. Rushmore to Yellowstone to
Glacier and back through Utah and New Mexico in mid-May.

We want to be able to drive the Going-to-the-Sun rd. in Glacier. I
checked the park's website at nps.gov, and all they seem to give is a
day to day on what roads are open.

Does anyone know how we could find out if the road will be open around
May 20th or exactly when it will open?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Barbara Schmidt

Old April 12th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Keith W

"David & Barbara Schmidt" wrote in message
We are thinking of taking a trip from Mt. Rushmore to Yellowstone to
Glacier and back through Utah and New Mexico in mid-May.

We want to be able to drive the Going-to-the-Sun rd. in Glacier. I checked
the park's website at nps.gov, and all they seem to give is a day to day
on what roads are open.

Does anyone know how we could find out if the road will be open around May
20th or exactly when it will open?

They dont know exactly in advance, it all depends on how much
snow pack there is and what the spring season is like.

May 20th is VERY early however, the road is typically opened
in early June. The earliest opening date on record was May 16 and the
latest opening date was June 23

As late as June 20 two years ago we were turned back
before the summit by fresh snowfall

For updates on plowing see

http://www.nps.gov/glac/whatsnew/montana.htm

My advice is plan on using an alternate route.

Keith

PS: A lot of roads around Yellowstone may still be closed then.

Old April 12th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Todd Michel McComb

In article ,
David & Barbara Schmidt wrote:
Does anyone know how we could find out if the road will be open
around May 20th or exactly when it will open?

As stated, your odds of good luck are fairly low. In terms of your
specific question, you call the rangers and ask them. That's the
most reliable information you're going to get, and it's the only
real information you're going to get if you're relying on guesswork
as in this case. They might be able to tell you right now that
there's no way it's going to happen for you.

Glacier is an incredible place to hike. I hope, whenever you go,
you get out of your car.

Old April 14th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Marianne

"David & Barbara Schmidt" schreef in bericht
We are thinking of taking a trip from Mt. Rushmore to Yellowstone to
Glacier and back through Utah and New Mexico in mid-May.

We want to be able to drive the Going-to-the-Sun rd. in Glacier. I
checked the park's website at nps.gov, and all they seem to give is a
day to day on what roads are open.

Does anyone know how we could find out if the road will be open around
May 20th or exactly when it will open?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Barbara Schmidt

Hi Barbara,
Years ago we've been in Glacier NP in june and there was too much snow to
hike. Check out the conditions before you drive there. Perhaps you can spend
more time in Yellowstone or in South Dakota.
Why not drive the other way round so you arrive in Glacier later in May?

Marianne

Old April 15th, 2005, 09:09 PM
David & Barbara Schmidt

Well, coming from Dallas, TX Glacier is going to be the mid point of
either way that we go. I was hoping we would take the trip after my
school semester is over and before summer school starts.

Babs