Internet Access from China

Old September 12th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Jeck

Default Internet Access from China

Hi all,
I am going to go in China, I will bring my laptop.
Does somebody know how can I connect to Internet on my hotel by using
dialup connection? Is there any free or low cost provider that offers
this service?
Thank you

Daniele

Old September 12th, 2005, 03:25 PM
PTravel

"Jeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,
I am going to go in China, I will bring my laptop.
Does somebody know how can I connect to Internet on my hotel by using
dialup connection? Is there any free or low cost provider that offers
this service?
Thank you

Daniele

Where in China? What hotel?

Most hotels that cater to Western tourists have broad-band internet
connections in the room, just like in the West. You may find access to some
websites blocked.

Old September 12th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Jeck

Hi
I have to travel in Shanghai, Beijing and Chaozhou. The problem is I do
not still know where I will stay (in which Hotel). My question is it is
possible that in China there is no service of dial-up like in Europe
where you can connect to Internet everywhere by paying only one local
telephone call fee ?

Daniele

Old September 12th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Spehro Pefhany

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:25:52 GMT, the renowned "PTravel"
wrote:

Most hotels that cater to Western tourists have broad-band internet
connections in the room, just like in the West. You may find access to some
websites blocked.

Secure sites (such as webmail and some financial sites) sometimes seem
to be incredibly slow from China.

Old September 12th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Alan Street

In article .com,
Jeck wrote:

€ Hi
€ I have to travel in Shanghai, Beijing and Chaozhou. The problem is I do
€ not still know where I will stay (in which Hotel). My question is it is
€ possible that in China there is no service of dial-up like in Europe
€ where you can connect to Internet everywhere by paying only one local
€ telephone call fee ?

I've used iPass in Wuhan.

http://www.ipass.com/

€ Daniele

Old September 12th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Dieter Aaaa

Jeck wrote:
Hi
I have to travel in Shanghai, Beijing and Chaozhou. The problem is I
do not still know where I will stay (in which Hotel). My question is
it is possible that in China there is no service of dial-up like in
Europe where you can connect to Internet everywhere by paying only
one local telephone call fee ?

Daniele

I used GRIC (now GoRemote) 5 years ago in
Beijing, Datong, PingYao, Jingsheng, Xi'an, Chengdu, Leshan, Dazu,
Chongqing, Yichang, Sanjiang, Longsheng, Guilin, Yangshuo, Guangzhou,
Shanghai, Suzhou, Hong Kong, Shenzhen and some other cities.

But why don't you want to make use of the broadband connection, available in
most hotel rooms ?

Old September 12th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Larry

Jeck wrote:
Hi all,
I am going to go in China, I will bring my laptop.
Does somebody know how can I connect to Internet on my hotel by using
dialup connection? Is there any free or low cost provider that offers
this service?
Thank you

Most Western-style hotels, and upscale local chains (e.g., Shangri-La)
offer broadband connections. There are also dial up, pay-as-you go
numbers that change from time to time. Your hotel will know the current
ones. Also plenty of Internet cafes.

Larry

Old September 13th, 2005, 05:43 AM

wrote:

Most hotels that cater to Western tourists have broad-band internet
connections in the room, just like in the West. You may find access to some
websites blocked.

Secure sites (such as webmail and some financial sites) sometimes seem
to be incredibly slow from China.

Last time I was there (early spring, 2005) access to Google groups was
blocked in both Beijing and Shanghai. I was able to configure an open
proxy to get to them.

Old September 13th, 2005, 07:08 AM
Alan Street

€ wrote:

€ Most hotels that cater to Western tourists have broad-band internet
€ connections in the room, just like in the West. You may find access to
€ some
€ websites blocked.

€ Secure sites (such as webmail and some financial sites) sometimes seem
€ to be incredibly slow from China.

€ Last time I was there (early spring, 2005) access to Google groups was
€ blocked in both Beijing and Shanghai. I was able to configure an open
€ proxy to get to them.

Were they blocked at the DNS level or the IP address level? The last
time I was in China (admittedly four years ago) I found my company's
domain name blocked, but I knew the IP address of the web and mail
server and could access it that way.
Old September 13th, 2005, 08:21 AM
Jeck

Yes, It can be a choice but I do not know if in my hotel this will be
available. If yes, do you know how much does it cost?
Thank you for your suggestion

Daniele