Mariner Review II

Old December 5th, 2009, 03:47 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kenn Smith

Default Mariner Review II

Our ports of call were Eden, AU; Hobart; Port Chalmers, NA; Picton, NZ;
Christchurch, NZ; Wellngton, NZ; Napier, NZ; Tauranga, NZ and Auckland
where we disembarked. In every case except Eden we were pierside. Eden
saw us tendered in over glassy smooth bay waters. We took excursions in
every port but Auckland.

No matter where you go the countryside is beautiful. It is early Spring
there and everything is lush. We decided that every Kiwi is a gardener
- never saw so many roses in my life. Vineyard fence lines were lined
with roses and the support posts at the end of vine rows had roses
growing on them. We learned that he roses served two purposes,
beautification and as an early warning system for any fungus which could
hurt the vines. The fungus would attack the roses first thus giving the
vintner time to protect his vines.
Clever.

Each of our excursions was memorable in its own way. The Taieri
(pronounced Tyree) Gorge Railway, for example, starts at sea level in
Christchurch and follows the river up to an elevation of around 1,800
feet. As you rise you are looking further and further down to the
river, probably about 300' down by the time we hit the turnaround point.
At the turnaround point several locals offer their home made crafts and
items, most of excellent quality and at reasonable prices. We made a
couple of purchases for our son and dil there.

The railway is run by volunteers. We had two gentlemen in our car
explaining what we were seeing and serving coffee, tea, beer, wine and
sandwiches. Both were entertaining.

In Wellington we were bussed through the city with stops at places of
interest - the museum is fabulous - then through the countryside with
miles of vineyards on either side and ended up in a remote little cove
where a catamaran picked us up and gave us a water view tour of the
sound and harbor. The catamaran skipper nosed it right into the shore
at several spots so we could get a closeup look at the flora. In the
crystal clear water we could see mussels by the thousands. We were
dropped off about two blocks from the ship and walked back in a
horizontal rain. On that excursion we had all four seasons in one day.

In Tauranga we took the Rotorua - Geysers & Maori Culture excursion. I
wasn't sure what to expect on this one and almost cancelled but didn't.
It turned out to be one of the best days of the cruise. A 90 minute
drive through beautiful countryside - did you know that Kiwi fruit trees
are trained on wires just like grapes are - took us to Rainbow Park, a
nature preserve, for an hourlong visit. Then a short drive to a gondola
car station where we boarded gondolas destined for an elegant brunch
atop the mountain. After brunch we were entertained by a troop of Maori
singers and dancers - very, very good singers - love their harmonies.

Then it was on to the Maori Cultural Site and geysers for a couple of
hours. I was sort of expecting a tourist trap type thing; it was
anything but that. The Maori are serious about protecting and
preserving their culture and history and it shows at the site although
it has, of course, the obligatory gift shop at the exit. Good stuff
there but pricey. Picture Yellowstone NP squeezed into a smaller space
and you get and idea of the geysers and hot springs area.

They also had the biggest rainbow trout I've ever seen! They are free
ranging fish coming in and out of Lake Rotorua. On the way back to the
ship we passed a couple of well groomed golf courses with kangaroos and
wallabies hopping around all over them. Gail and I decided that if we
could go back to NZ for an extended visit we would go to Rotorua and
rent a cottage there for a couple of weeks and hire a car and driver to
take us around as we desired. No way am I getting behind the wheel of a
right hand drive automobile and learn to drive on the left side of the
road.

Old December 7th, 2009, 07:04 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
D Ball[_2_]

On Dec 5, 9:47*am, (Kenn Smith) wrote:
Our ports of call were Eden, AU; Hobart; Port Chalmers, NA; Picton, NZ;
Christchurch, NZ; Wellngton, NZ; Napier, NZ; Tauranga, NZ and Auckland
where we disembarked. *In every case except Eden we were pierside. *Eden
saw us tendered in over glassy smooth bay waters. *We took excursions in
every port but Auckland.

Hi, neighbor,

We got home last night, so I am just now reading about your trip--it
sounds like you had a wonderful time! I have enjoyed reading every
word. Thanks for all of the details about both shipboard life and the
ports. Your vivid descriptions certainly whet the travel appetite. And
the bonus sailboat rescue tale was fascinating!

So, how do you feel about cruising now?

Diana Ball
Austin, TX
Old December 7th, 2009, 09:11 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kenn Smith

Default Mariner Review IIDiana

How do I feel about cruising now? Well, I emailed my TA and told her
she was fired! She turned my hesitant wife into cruising junkie. How is
one supposed to deal with that?

We're looking at next cruise options now. It might be a short o Carib
one or a longer Med one - Regent has a good looking 10 day Med in
September which hits several ports I hit while teaching classes aboard
USN ships.

Old December 8th, 2009, 05:07 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
D Ball[_2_]

On Dec 7, 3:11*pm, (Kenn Smith) wrote:
How do I feel about cruising now? *Well, I emailed my TA and told her
she was fired! She turned my hesitant wife into cruising junkie. *How is
one supposed to deal with that?

We're looking at next cruise options now. *It might be a short o Carib
one or a longer Med one - Regent has a good looking 10 day Med in
September which hits several ports I hit while teaching classes aboard
USN ships.

You are in trouble now! I'm betting you'll book that 10-day Med, and
then between now and then, when you least expect it, a deal too good
to pass up will come along...and just like that, you'll be at sea
again!

Diana