Costa Cruise Ships?

Old December 9th, 2009, 04:56 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kenn Smith

Default Costa Cruise Ships?

OK. Brian, if it will make you happy I'll reduce the number to
66,000,000. The population of the US is roughly 309,000,000 souls so
21% of that would bring the number up to 64,000,000 and change. I
didn't limit my statement to ADULT smokers so we'll toss in a million
and change for under 21 smokers.

The 21%, btw, is subject to question. I have seen numbers as high as
30% - who really knows?? Who really cares? I don't.

Old December 10th, 2009, 05:21 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kenn Smith

Brian, I think that you missed the intent of my original post which was
to poke a little gentle fun and what I considered a ridiculosly
overbroad statement - "all" being an absolute expression encompassing
tens of millions of people.

So far as your statement that our smoking bothers the other 250,000,000
or so souls, does it really? If I smoke in the privacy of my home am I
bothering anyone? If I smoke in appropriate smoking areas does it
bother anyone? If I smoke in my automobile does it bother anyone? If
so, why should it? Those are about the only three places I smoke so
exactly who am I bothering??

This is unprovable but I suspect that the majority of smokers are more
respectful of nonsmokers space than the nonsmokers are of ours. On the
Mariner we had two instances of people coming into what was clearly
described as a smoking area and make a fuss about the smoke. They
didn't stay long.

Old December 10th, 2009, 08:37 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Gadget World

Costa is the most amazing cruise out there.

Yes, it's different. You won't hear the same jokes you hear on every
other cruise ship and you won't see the same entertainment, menus or
people.

If you cruise to see your neighbors, stay home.

But if you cruise to meet lots of folks from lots of different places,
this is the ship for you!

The cruise staff is talented and actively gets you involved. The Roman
night is the best original
entertainment night afloat.

Entertainment goes from classical to opera to popular is is top notch.

The people do smoke, and do other things like in real life. German,
French, Spanish, Italian and even some English are spoken, ut we can
hear Englsh anytime at home.

The topless gals are beautiful. an you get all this without having to
fly across the ocean.

The only thing I don't like on Costa is the specialty steak house. The
meat is impossible to eat, but the dining room is where all the action
is and the food is good if you are willing to discover how Europeans
eat.

I'm going again this month and look forward to Cruising Italian Style
again.

Gadget

Old December 10th, 2009, 11:38 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kenn Smith

Kurt, you're correct; there are idiots on both sides. My perspective is
probably distorted because I would never invade a nonsmokers space, as
in smoking in a non smoking area, I have had multiple experiences where
my smoking space was invaded, even to the point of receiving lectures on
the "evils" of smoking. Those lectures didn't last very long and I don't
view myself as an evil person.

As I told my cardiologist Tuesday, "Hell, I'm 77 years old, I've
outlived many of my contemporaies, something is going to kill me most
likely sooner than later - why should I quit something I enjoy?" She
agreed to leave the issue alone.

Old December 11th, 2009, 01:58 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian[_1_]

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 11:21:13 -0600, (Kenn
Smith) wrote:

[...]

Smokers are probably better in general than they used to be when many
were quite arrogant but I have seen many smokers smoking where they
shouldn't be.

If you smoke in your automobile and stick the cigarette out of the
window so it goes into my car, it does bother me. If you live in a
condo or apartment, the smoke does normally go into adjacent units.

There may well have been a couple of people who came into a smoking
area when they shouldn't but there are smokers who smoke when they
shouldn't. I've had several experiences in hotels where people were
smoking where it was explicitly prohibited as an example.

And then there is a question of places where there should be
non-smoking areas but smoking is allowed. Smoke drifts.
Old December 11th, 2009, 02:01 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian[_1_]

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 12:37:16 -0800, (Gadget
World) wrote:

[...]

Have fun.

Since I get asthma attacks from smoke now instead of merely being
congested and feeling ill, it doesn't sound like a cruise line for me.