How Clean Are the Whirlpool Baths on Cruise Ships?

Old December 10th, 2009, 04:57 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Monica

Default How Clean Are the Whirlpool Baths on Cruise Ships?

I'm wondering how well cruise ships (Carnival) maintain their whirlpool
baths in their suites. I know these tubs are infamous for spewing out black
gunk and such due to recycled bath water left in the lines. When we
remodeled out master bath 2 years ago I chose an air jetted tub for this
reason. Our room, on Carnival Ecstasy, has a whirlpool bath. Thinking I
don't want to use it unless someone can tell me that they flush these things
out and sanitize the water lines between cruises.
Thanks,
Monica

Old December 10th, 2009, 12:41 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

Monica wrote:
I'm wondering how well cruise ships (Carnival) maintain their whirlpool
baths in their suites. I know these tubs are infamous for spewing out black
gunk and such due to recycled bath water left in the lines. When we
remodeled out master bath 2 years ago I chose an air jetted tub for this
reason. Our room, on Carnival Ecstasy, has a whirlpool bath. Thinking I
don't want to use it unless someone can tell me that they flush these things
out and sanitize the water lines between cruises.
Thanks,
Monica

That is something you can ask your cabin steward... but from the FWIW
department, if I were worried about this, I'd fill the tub and turn it
on. Let the water circulate, observe and drain. You can ask the cabin
steward for some disinfectant to add to the water if you want.

I've been in these suites a few times... pretty nice! You should have a
good time.

--

George Leppla

Countryside Travel http://www.CruiseMaster.com
Blog http://cruisemaster.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/CruiseMaster
Old December 10th, 2009, 02:40 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Gadget World

If the water drips out of the jets for a while after the whirlpool is
turned off, that's great as all the old water is out.

If not water that is left in the system can become a bacteria problem.

Private whirlpools are not the problem, but the whirlpools that kids and
others use as urinals can develop dangerous levels of bacteria.

Have a great time in your suite whirlpool. You paid for it.

Gadget

Old December 10th, 2009, 03:24 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RicodJour

On Dec 10, 9:40*am, (Gadget World) wrote:
If the water drips out of the jets for a while after the whirlpool is
turned off, that's great as all the old water is out.

That's assuming that the jets are at the absolute lowest point in the
system, that none of the piping has fittings and there is a continuous
downward slope. This is simply not the case in any water-jetted
whirlpool.

If not water that is left in the system can become a bacteria problem.

Private whirlpools are not the problem, but the whirlpools that kids and
others use as urinals can develop dangerous levels of bacteria.

Standing water is a breeding ground for bacteria and mold regardless
of the occupants' activities, but you are right that outside
influences are the greater concern.

Old December 10th, 2009, 10:51 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Old Sarge[_2_]

On 12/9/09 10:57 PM, in article , "Monica"
wrote:

I'm wondering how well cruise ships (Carnival) maintain their whirlpool
baths in their suites. I know these tubs are infamous for spewing out black
gunk and such due to recycled bath water left in the lines. When we
remodeled out master bath 2 years ago I chose an air jetted tub for this
reason. Our room, on Carnival Ecstasy, has a whirlpool bath. Thinking I
don't want to use it unless someone can tell me that they flush these things
out and sanitize the water lines between cruises.
Thanks,
Monica

I look at cruise ships as floating hotels and as such look at their
sanitation the same. Do not drink from glasses in your cabin until you wash
them. If you are concerned about the whirlpool, clean it before using it.
As for the shower, anyone that's cruised before knows the size of the shower
is such that all you need to do is soap down the walls and rub against them.
There's hardly room to move your arms around or bend over. Although the
sheets may be clean, the rest of the cabin leaves much to be desired. The
crew only has a very limited time in which to get the cabins ready for the
new passengers that are already beginning to board the ship. Just don't
lick the walls or floor.

Old December 10th, 2009, 11:57 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nonny

"Old Sarge" wrote in message
Just don't
lick the walls or floor.

That may be easier said than done. What happens after Happy Hour?

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.

Old December 11th, 2009, 05:51 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Monica

Cleaning out the tub isn't really the issue. It's the bacteria/mold/fungus
gunk that builds up in ALL water jetted whirlpools if not continually
maintained in a way that prevents it.
Was just wondering if anyone knew how Carnival sanitized the jets or if it
was even done after each cruise.
And I DO remember the tiny showers. One reason for upgrading to a room with
a tub.
Note to self: Don't be lickin' any floors! g
Monica
"Old Sarge" wrote in message
On 12/9/09 10:57 PM, in article ,

Old December 12th, 2009, 06:06 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Old Sarge[_2_]

On 12/10/09 5:57 PM, in article , "Nonny"
wrote:

"Old Sarge" wrote in message
Just don't
lick the walls or floor.

That may be easier said than done. What happens after Happy Hour?

I go to bed. Can't drink anymore due to medication issues.

Old December 12th, 2009, 06:10 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Old Sarge[_2_]

Well Monica, you can never tell. Some strange things go on in those
staterooms. I haven't had a room with a tub yet as I prefer showers
(rubbing my body against the walls to soap up). For some reason, both
staterooms I've had leaked water from someplace as my carpet was always wet
in front of the bathroom.

Note to self: Monica isn't stupid.

On 12/10/09 11:51 PM, in article ,
"Monica" wrote:

Cleaning out the tub isn't really the issue. It's the bacteria/mold/fungus
gunk that builds up in ALL water jetted whirlpools if not continually
maintained in a way that prevents it.
Was just wondering if anyone knew how Carnival sanitized the jets or if it
was even done after each cruise.
And I DO remember the tiny showers. One reason for upgrading to a room with
a tub.
Note to self: Don't be lickin' any floors! g
Monica
"Old Sarge" wrote in message
On 12/9/09 10:57 PM, in article ,

Old December 13th, 2009, 12:23 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nonny

"Old Sarge" wrote in message
Well Monica, you can never tell. Some strange things go on in
those
staterooms. I haven't had a room with a tub yet as I prefer
showers
(rubbing my body against the walls to soap up). For some
reason, both
staterooms I've had leaked water from someplace as my carpet was
always wet
in front of the bathroom.

Took too long to get the door open, Sarge? grin

On a serious note, Monica's comment on jetted tubs sure parallels
an experience I had at a hotel once. I'd never been in a Jaccuzzi
before and wanted to give it a try when I found one in my room. I
filled it with hot water and then turned on the pump. There was
some of the most disgusting "stuff" suddenly ejected into the
clear, hot water that I'd ever seen. I can only hope that it was
either antifreeze or oil from the pump and not the biological
material I suspected. Needless to say, I used the shower from
then on.