Cruise Itinerary suggestions wanted

Old February 28th, 2011, 04:26 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

Default Cruise Itinerary suggestions wanted

My next trip with a grandchild will be next (2012) summer. This is a
12 year old girl with an interest in art. She has been to London,
Paris, the Bahamas, Cozumel, Rhode Island and Yellowstone. Her
brother did Barcelona, Rome, Naples and Venice. They live in Miami.

Her initial desire was Africa and/or Egypt but I said THAT was not
going to happen. Next she thought Greece and Italy. But the trip has
to be in the summer because of school and sports, and I cannot stand
hot weather.

I can't find any cruises on mass market lines to Australia, and I'm
not sure that she would like South America. I'm still hoping to get
my husband to go with me to Alaska.

So what do you suggest that would interest a young girl and wouldn't
be too hot in June/July?
Old February 28th, 2011, 11:57 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article ,
wrote:

So what do you suggest that would interest a young girl and wouldn't
be too hot in June/July?

Number one suggestion would be the Baltic's. Norwegian Fjords or
British Isles would be two other suggestions.

--
Charles
Old February 28th, 2011, 01:24 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 22:09:32 +1100, Gettamulla Tupya
wrote:

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 23:26:03 -0500, wrote:

My next trip with a grandchild will be next (2012) summer. This is a
12 year old girl with an interest in art. She has been to London,
Paris, the Bahamas, Cozumel, Rhode Island and Yellowstone. Her
brother did Barcelona, Rome, Naples and Venice. They live in Miami.

Her initial desire was Africa and/or Egypt but I said THAT was not
going to happen. Next she thought Greece and Italy. But the trip has
to be in the summer because of school and sports, and I cannot stand
hot weather.

I can't find any cruises on mass market lines to Australia, and I'm
not sure that she would like South America. I'm still hoping to get
my husband to go with me to Alaska.

So what do you suggest that would interest a young girl and wouldn't
be too hot in June/July?

How about flying to Australia and doing a cruise out of there? Or perhaps a leg or two of
the World cruise on the Dawn Princess?

I'd love to do Australia, but I don't see any cruises there in that
time frame. I'll look at the Dawn Princess. I thought about the
Norwegian fjords (I'd love to do that) but I'm not sure how much a
child that age would like just scenery. I did the Baltic with another
granddaughter in 2009, and I really don't want to repeat that itin so
close.
Old February 28th, 2011, 03:57 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 10:40:45 -0500, Tom K
wrote:

On 2/27/11 11:26 PM, wrote:

My next trip with a grandchild will be next (2012) summer. This is a
12 year old girl with an interest in art. She has been to London,
Paris, the Bahamas, Cozumel, Rhode Island and Yellowstone.

Art...

OBVIOUSLY the Hermitage comes to mind.

But so do:
Amsterdam (Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh museum, even Anne Frank Haus for a
young girl),
Dublin Ireland (National Gallery),
Italy (Museums Everywhere, St. Peters, Vatican Museum, etc.),
Brussels Belgium (Royal Museum),
Stockholm (Nationalmuseum),
Edinburgh Scotland (National Gallery with a number of Rembrandts).

I believe that the museum in Dublin has a Caravaggio painting discovered
a number of years ago in a monastery.

Even small Norwegian cities like Bergen and Trondheim have nice museums.

Here's a site that lists art museums in Europe by country:

http://www.artcyclopedia.com/museums-int.html

I think I'd try to find something that does Amsterdam and the British
Isles. Amsterdam would be my primary focus point. Maybe even as an
embarkation port so you could spend another day or two there.

Thank you - My other granddaughter was particularly interested in Van
Gogh so we visited the museum in Amsterdam and also looked at the ones
in the Hermitage. I think this one is less focused on past art and
more interested in her own art.

I did Ireland on a bus tour in 2007 with her cousin - originally I was
going to do it as a cruise, but I was advised that the area doesn't
'do' well from a ship because there are so many thing to see.

There is an early June Med cruise - do you think it would be too hot
then?
Old February 28th, 2011, 10:03 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Cal Ford

Early to mid June would be just fine in that region. Will not be hot yet and may
in fact be a bit chilly. If she would like a chance to work on her own art then
perhaps a River Cruise would be in order. Start in Amsterdam for the museums
there but thereafter everyday would bring opportunities for either canvas or
photographs.

In the Anne Frank house there is preserved some of the art that that young girl
used to express herself during those dark years. Worth seeing for sure.

Just a thought,

Cal Ford

In article ,
says...

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 10:40:45 -0500, Tom K

Old March 1st, 2011, 01:33 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

wrote:

[...]

June and July are winter in Australia.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Old March 1st, 2011, 01:35 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

wrote:

[...]

While I would LOVE a river cruise myself, I don't think it is ideal
for a 12 year old girl. I suspect there would be a lot of older
people/few children, and perhaps a lot of smoking and wine drinking
and more sophisticated entertainment. In 1976, my mother took her
mother (my daughter) on the QE2, and my daughter was bored. This
child is a little more laid back than her mother was, but still I
think would like to watch TV rather than the waves.

June and July are winter in Australia.

Some parts of Australia are fairly near the equator, so maybe not that
cold. We are both interested in Australia, but I don't see anything
listed for that time period except on Dawn Princess and that one does
not do Australia but goes off to Thailand, Vietnam etc.

I see there is an Australia/New Zealand cruise this June that would
work well, but that ship doesn't have anything listed past March 2012.