Cruise Itinerary suggestions wanted

Old March 1st, 2011, 02:35 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Carol Eskra

Default Cruise Itinerary suggestions wanted

Keep in mind the longer the cruise the older the people are! Your
grandchildren may prefer to be with younger people, and not have to look
at walkers, wheel chairs, canes etc.

Old March 1st, 2011, 08:04 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

On 3/1/2011 7:35 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 19:33:17 -0600, Janet Wilder
wrote:

On 2/28/2011 7:24 AM,
wrote:
On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 22:09:32 +1100, Gettamulla Tupya
wrote:

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 23:26:03 -0500,
wrote:

My next trip with a grandchild will be next (2012) summer. This is a
12 year old girl with an interest in art. She has been to London,
Paris, the Bahamas, Cozumel, Rhode Island and Yellowstone. Her
brother did Barcelona, Rome, Naples and Venice. They live in Miami.

Her initial desire was Africa and/or Egypt but I said THAT was not
going to happen. Next she thought Greece and Italy. But the trip has
to be in the summer because of school and sports, and I cannot stand
hot weather.

I can't find any cruises on mass market lines to Australia, and I'm
not sure that she would like South America. I'm still hoping to get
my husband to go with me to Alaska.

So what do you suggest that would interest a young girl and wouldn't
be too hot in June/July?

How about flying to Australia and doing a cruise out of there? Or perhaps a leg or two of
the World cruise on the Dawn Princess?

I'd love to do Australia, but I don't see any cruises there in that
time frame. I'll look at the Dawn Princess. I thought about the
Norwegian fjords (I'd love to do that) but I'm not sure how much a
child that age would like just scenery. I did the Baltic with another
granddaughter in 2009, and I really don't want to repeat that itin so
close.

While I would LOVE a river cruise myself, I don't think it is ideal
for a 12 year old girl. I suspect there would be a lot of older
people/few children, and perhaps a lot of smoking and wine drinking
and more sophisticated entertainment. In 1976, my mother took her
mother (my daughter) on the QE2, and my daughter was bored. This
child is a little more laid back than her mother was, but still I
think would like to watch TV rather than the waves.

All the US river boat companies prohibit smoking except for one outside
deck at the top. Wine is available at dinner but no one forces you to
drink it. There is juice, water and even soda. The "entertainment" on a
river cruise is always something that reflects the region of travel.
Usually it is local musicians who come aboard to play, or a local
historian to discuss some of the things you are seeing. It's much more
educational than "entertaining" but it can be very enjoyable.

I have seen people on the Cruise Critic River travel boards who have
taken teen aged children on a river cruise. While yours might be bored
if there are no other kids on board, you might sign onto Cruise Critic
and check the boards or post there to see if there are any families on
any sailings and consider joining those cruises.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Old March 1st, 2011, 10:48 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle[_3_]

wrote in message
I'd love to do Australia, but I don't see any cruises there in that
time frame. I'll look at the Dawn Princess. I thought about the
Norwegian fjords (I'd love to do that) but I'm not sure how much a
child that age would like just scenery. I did the Baltic with another
granddaughter in 2009, and I really don't want to repeat that itin so
close.

While I would LOVE a river cruise myself, I don't think it is ideal
for a 12 year old girl. I suspect there would be a lot of older
people/few children, and perhaps a lot of smoking and wine drinking
and more sophisticated entertainment. In 1976, my mother took her
mother (my daughter) on the QE2, and my daughter was bored. This
child is a little more laid back than her mother was, but still I
think would like to watch TV rather than the waves.

I tend to agree. We took a Danube River Cruise in September of 2008, from
Budapest to Nuremberg and there was not enough to hold a 12 year old's
interest...there was not a single child on the river boat...all adults.
Possibly because the time of the year, but having had children that age, I
think that because there are no activities onboard while cruising. The
scenery is beautiful but I would be concerned about boredom for a twelve
year old.

--Jean

Old March 2nd, 2011, 02:57 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian[_1_]

On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 16:48:46 -0600, "Jean O'Boyle"
wrote:

I tend to agree. We took a Danube River Cruise in September of 2008, from
Budapest to Nuremberg and there was not enough to hold a 12 year old's
interest...there was not a single child on the river boat...all adults.
Possibly because the time of the year, but having had children that age, I
think that because there are no activities onboard while cruising. The
scenery is beautiful but I would be concerned about boredom for a twelve
year old.

--Jean

How was smoking on the cruise?
Old March 2nd, 2011, 05:45 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle[_3_]

wrote:

I tend to agree. We took a Danube River Cruise in September of 2008, from
Budapest to Nuremberg and there was not enough to hold a 12 year old's
interest...there was not a single child on the river boat...all adults.
Possibly because the time of the year, but having had children that age, I
think that because there are no activities onboard while cruising. The
scenery is beautiful but I would be concerned about boredom for a twelve
year old.

--Jean

How was smoking on the cruise?

Not a problem. There was none in the dining room and if there was any, it
must have been done up on the open deck. I really don't recall it there
either and it is something that I would have since I am sensitive to it. I'd
have to dig out the brochures on it and see if perhaps it was mentioned in
them.

--Jean

Old March 3rd, 2011, 12:29 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian[_1_]

On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 23:45:18 -0600, "Jean O'Boyle"
wrote:

Not a problem. There was none in the dining room and if there was any, it
must have been done up on the open deck. I really don't recall it there
either and it is something that I would have since I am sensitive to it. I'd
have to dig out the brochures on it and see if perhaps it was mentioned in
them.

--Jean

I get asthma from smoking so it's a concern for me. On large ships, I
can keep away from it.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 01:49 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

On 3/1/2011 8:56 PM, Brian wrote:
On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 08:35:03 -0500, wrote:

While I would LOVE a river cruise myself, I don't think it is ideal
for a 12 year old girl. I suspect there would be a lot of older
people/few children, and perhaps a lot of smoking and wine drinking
and more sophisticated entertainment. In 1976, my mother took her
mother (my daughter) on the QE2, and my daughter was bored. This
child is a little more laid back than her mother was, but still I
think would like to watch TV rather than the waves.

My wife would like to do a river cruise in Europe and I have some
interest also but the smoking aspect concerns me. I hadn't thought
about how bad it could be on a small boat.

The US companies do not permit smoking except for a small area on the
top deck. I don't know if the European companies permit smoking inside
the ships.

The best way to look into it is to check the web sites of the major
companies. They all list their smoking policies.

I have traveled with Uniworld and will be traveling with AMA. There is
less of a bother with smokers on a river cruise than on an ocean liner.

Old March 3rd, 2011, 04:07 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Gadget World

I think an itinerary that shows her that not all children get spoiled by
exotic luxury cruises would be most valued when she grows up.

I am sure happy that my family didn't spoil me with luxury cruises, or I
would not have anything to strive for myself.

When some guy finally marries her and wants to take her on a honeymoon
cruise, don't be surprised if she says: "big deal, I've done them all!"

Gadget