Mom traveling in Japan w/2 kids... suggestions please

Old September 11th, 2003, 01:54 AM
John W.

Default Mom traveling in Japan w/2 kids... suggestions please

janeane wrote:
Mom traveling with 2 boys (ages 10 & 12) in October. Spending 1st
week on a 'student summit' in Murakami (north of Niigata). 2nd week
we're on our own and anxious to experience the culture, people and
sights of Japan.

Why Sadoshima?

Planned on spending a couple days on Sado-shima, 2-3 days around
Kanazawa and stopping in Takayama on the way back to the airport in
Tokyo. ****however, I am very open to suggestions**** A 14 day JR line
pass is a definate purchase.

Is it necessary? If you're on a 'student summit' will you be traveling
around a lot? Will you actually use seven days of travel? Is travel
to/from the summit paid for? I'd check out all your options; the passes
are easier, and if you're going to use for more then seven days (such as
if the summit is only five days; you get the idea) then it's a no
brainer. Use http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/ if you need to rough
figure rail costs. Also, investigate the regional passes available.

Would love to hear suggestions, options and experiences of traveling
with a budget in mind... and perhaps what you have witnessed other
children enjoying.

Perhaps think about Kamakura; though I've yet to take my son to it (he's
four), I've heard from other parents that the kids really like the big
buddha (you can go inside it).

John W.