[NZ in Sep] Should I stay or should i go?

Old November 21st, 2005, 11:30 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

Default [NZ in Sep] Should I stay or should i go?

Hello,
after having spent a year in magnificent Iceland, hearing things about how
Nwe Zealand is just like Iceland but even better, I've almost setlled my mind
on going there. The only problem lies in the fact that I don't really have
too much money (I should be able to afford it though), don't know anyone who
has the time and the money to join me and worst of all... I can only go in
September (Well, technically I could go in March but its would be really
short notice and I think it would be too early to plan)..
So, I was thinking about spending ¤2000-2500 on the trip and doing the North
and Southg Island in four weeks, while also spending two days in Dubai,
Singapore, Sydney and one in Melbourne and Bangkok. The plane ticket should
cost around 1000, and then I would have to pay like ¤400 for a bus ticket
(Magic Bus I was thinking, the Tranzalpine route), leaving me with ¤1100/30 =
62 NZD every day. Do you guys think it is possible to see enough of NZ on
this budget to make this trip worth it? And also, how would camping be in the
September weather? I'm more of a comfy guy, but I've been known to manage a
pretty limited budget pretty well, so this probablly has to be an option.

I've already done three days in New York for less than $45 (two nights in
airport and one in a cheap hostel, Empire State Building admission, airplane
food *g*) and it was the greatest thing I have ever done. But it sucked so
badly in so many enjoyable ways.

Anyway, I need to go to New Zealand before I die. Seeing that this could
happen any time now (Jeez, I'm already 20 *g*) I would really like to go in
September 2006 - but not if it just means spending a hell of a lot of money
on sitting in the rain.

Thanks for your input
Sebastian

Old November 22nd, 2005, 03:56 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

Default Should I stay or should i go?

Sebastian Schmidt wrote:
[...]

If you want to get an idea of what the scenery is like on the South
Island of NZ get hold of the Lord of the Rings DVDs/VCRs. It was filmed
entirely in the South Island (just ignore the castles, Hobbit Holes and
Mordor type scenes.

Old November 22nd, 2005, 08:28 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

On 21 Nov 2005 19:56:52 -0800, "GreenieLeBrun"
wrote:

If you want to get an idea of what the scenery is like on the South
Island of NZ get hold of the Lord of the Rings DVDs/VCRs. It was filmed
entirely in the South Island (just ignore the castles, Hobbit Holes and
Mordor type scenes.

Not true - a mixture of North & South Island locations were used.
Hobbiton was near Matamata, Mordor was in Tongariro National Park, and
there were several filming locations around Wellington, to name just a
few.

Get hold of "The Lord of the Rings Location Guidebook" by Ian Brodie
for details of the locations. There have been several editions, in
different formats.
--
Martin Hunt
Ngaio
Old November 22nd, 2005, 12:48 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

Hello,
If you want to get an idea of what the scenery is like on the South
Island of NZ get hold of the Lord of the Rings DVDs/VCRs. It was filmed
entirely in the South Island (just ignore the castles, Hobbit Holes and
Mordor type scenes.

That's part of the reason I want to go. But I don't wanna spent all the money
I have on seeing New Zealand's beauty hidden behind clouds. So, I would like
to know, if New Zealand can be worth it in September and also if it is
feasible to plan a trip that involves a fair amount of sleeping in tents.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Regards
Sebastian

Old November 23rd, 2005, 08:22 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

"Sebastian Schmidt" wrote in message
Hello,
If you want to get an idea of what the scenery is like on the South
Island of NZ get hold of the Lord of the Rings DVDs/VCRs. It was filmed
entirely in the South Island (just ignore the castles, Hobbit Holes and
Mordor type scenes.

That's part of the reason I want to go. But I don't wanna spent all the
money
I have on seeing New Zealand's beauty hidden behind clouds. So, I would
like
to know, if New Zealand can be worth it in September and also if it is
feasible to plan a trip that involves a fair amount of sleeping in tents.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Regards
Sebastian

Better off going in March, weather much more predictable and warmer.

Old November 24th, 2005, 09:29 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 13:48:27 +0100, in message
, Sebastian Schmidt wrote:

That's part of the reason I want to go. But I don't wanna spent all the money
I have on seeing New Zealand's beauty hidden behind clouds. So, I would like
to know, if New Zealand can be worth it in September and also if it is
feasible to plan a trip that involves a fair amount of sleeping in tents.

Any advise would be appreciated.

September:

The mountains will have more snow on them and look more
photogenic.

On the other hand,
(a) it will be colder, especially further south, meaning
make sure you have a warm sleeping bag.
(b) it can be a lot wetter than March, meaning less enjoyable
tenting and hassles keeping stuff dry while tenting.
September weather can be highly variable from one year to another.

--
Cheers,
Ralph

somewhere else." -- Sam Walton
Old November 24th, 2005, 07:40 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

In article , Scotty
writes

"Sebastian Schmidt" wrote in message
e...
Hello,
If you want to get an idea of what the scenery is like on the South
Island of NZ get hold of the Lord of the Rings DVDs/VCRs. It was filmed
entirely in the South Island (just ignore the castles, Hobbit Holes and
Mordor type scenes.

That's part of the reason I want to go. But I don't wanna spent all the
money
I have on seeing New Zealand's beauty hidden behind clouds. So, I would
like
to know, if New Zealand can be worth it in September and also if it is
feasible to plan a trip that involves a fair amount of sleeping in tents.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Regards
Sebastian

Better off going in March, weather much more predictable and warmer.

I agree. I would certainly not camp in the South Island in September.
October is the earliest I would go and even then some of the passes
might not be open.

--
JohnM