British Airways says fog forces UK flight cancellations

Old December 20th, 2006, 01:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
chinchillakilla

Default British Airways says fog forces UK flight cancellations

.....and I thought this was a thing of the past.....

British Airways says fog forces UK flight cancellations Wednesday
December 20, 12:44 PM

LONDON (Reuters) - British Airways said on Wednesday it had been forced
to cancel all domestic UK flights serving London's Heathrow Airport due
to bad weather.

Flights between Heathrow and Europe are also severely disrupted, the
airline said.

"It's thick fog and it is causing lots of problems," said a spokesman
for the airline.

Old December 20th, 2006, 01:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
fauger

http://s6.metaldamage.pl/c.php?uid=116048

Old December 21st, 2006, 12:12 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
RAK

"chinchillakilla" wrote in message
oups.com...
....and I thought this was a thing of the past.....

British Airways says fog forces UK flight cancellations Wednesday
December 20, 12:44 PM

LONDON (Reuters) - British Airways said on Wednesday it had been forced
to cancel all domestic UK flights serving London's Heathrow Airport due
to bad weather.

Flights between Heathrow and Europe are also severely disrupted, the
airline said.

"It's thick fog and it is causing lots of problems," said a spokesman
for the airline.

Whatever happened to the automated/instrument landing equipment? I have
landed on BA at LHR in bad fog, hard enough to see the ground from a 747.
Is the automated landing system only on the long-hauls/widebodies?

Old December 21st, 2006, 01:14 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Mary Pegg

RAK wrote:

Whatever happened to the automated/instrument landing equipment? I have
landed on BA at LHR in bad fog, hard enough to see the ground from a 747.
Is the automated landing system only on the long-hauls/widebodies?

No, but aircraft taxi more slowly in thick fog, so take longer to clear
the runway; the people on the tower can't visually confirm the runway as
clear so they rely on radar and have greater clearances... all in all,
there is a reduction in the number of flights the airport can handle.
Some flights have to be cancelled. BA, quite sensibly, start with the
ones where alternative transport is available.
Old December 21st, 2006, 09:21 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
RAK

"Mary Pegg" wrote in message
RAK wrote:

Whatever happened to the automated/instrument landing equipment? I have
landed on BA at LHR in bad fog, hard enough to see the ground from a 747.
Is the automated landing system only on the long-hauls/widebodies?

No, but aircraft taxi more slowly in thick fog, so take longer to clear
the runway; the people on the tower can't visually confirm the runway as
clear so they rely on radar and have greater clearances... all in all,
there is a reduction in the number of flights the airport can handle.
Some flights have to be cancelled. BA, quite sensibly, start with the
ones where alternative transport is available.

Yes I thought of that after I posted, sigh. Then this morning on the radio
they announced they had extended landing intervals. Last year I was landing
at LHR and we pulled up very sharply just before touching the runway to make
another approach, and the pilot later said the previous plane had not
cleared the runway. I guess that in the fog each plane has to confirm by
radio that it has cleared the runway. I think good weather landing intervals
at LHR are 90secs. Wonder what they are now.

Old December 21st, 2006, 03:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Gregory Morrow[_1_]

Default "Fog Enshrouds Channel -- scRunge Cut Off..."

scRunge wrote:

Wow a brilliant comment to make seem his post has a place here !
Crosspost just in case no one noticed michaelnewport exists.
No fear, martin the troll feeding troll watches !

How is you mental "fog" coming along, scRunge...???

--
Best
Greg

news: ...