The problem with airlines!!

Old March 27th, 2008, 07:24 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Default The problem with airlines!!

On Mar 27, 1:42*am, "Mr. Travel" wrote:
wrote:

As far as your other comment. *Just because they sell the lowest fare
on their website does not mean it is a deeply discounted fare.

You stated the full fare was over 3 times the price you paid.
What amount of discount do you think would qualify as "deeply discounted"?

You got a discount. I would guess there were multiple available fare
choices for the same flights in economy, not just the one you chose and
the highest priced one.

If you mean the no restriction fare as the full fare then I guess I
received a deeply discounted ticket but then I guess 98% of the
passengers received a deeply discounted fare. To me a discount is
off of what an average person would pay. I do not consider, nor do
many other people consider a no restricted fare as a normal fare. How
can it be the fare you base your savings on if a very, very small
percentage of the passengers on that flight use it. I paid $350 for
my roundtrip ticket about a week later I saw it for $279. That is a
discount. Like I said above getting a deeply discounted ticket is
luck of the draw. It has nothing to do with me going to the airlines
website and because their website says it guarantees the lowest price
that I received a good deal. I may have received the lowest price
that hour but doesn't mean overall I received a smoking deal. The
$279 was a smoking deal. To clarify I am not complaining about the
purchase price, I am complaining at the way the airlines try to sock
it to ya if your schedule happens to change.

Here is the problem I have. I just looked at priceline to see what I
could get a one-way ticket for $115 and that includes all taxes and
fees (this was not a name your price fare, I could book this today for
that price). I can get a cheaper ticket going elsewhere then with the
company I originally got my ticket from. If I go with UA and pay all
of their ridiculous fees, they not only get that they will also get
the money from selling my seat on my original flight. All this and I
can get a one way ticket on another airline for cheaper then what they
are quoting. That is great customer service. Makes me want to keep
flying UA. And yes I know than I should buy the ticket off priceline,
which is probably what I am going to do.
Old March 27th, 2008, 07:56 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Well, let me tell you how this ends. I called up United to tell them
that I could get a ticket cheaper from another airline and asked what
would happen if I cancelled my flight home. They told me they would
refund the ticket price of the one way and then take off $100 for the
change fee when I use it for a later flight. I would have ended up
receiveing like $20. She than told me she would be willing to charge
me the $100 for the change fee but send me a $100 voucher to use
within the next year. That is what I wanted from the beginning,
someone who was willing to work with me on the situation and not
charge me up the wazoo. All the other representatives said that there
was going to be a difference in fare charge for any flight I picked on
the day I wanted to go home. This lady said what time would you like
to fly home and I will see what I can do. This is what I am talking
about, talking to someone who actually acted like they cared and
wanted to try and fix the situation. This is what i don't get, I
talked to 3 different people today and she was the only one that was
willing to do that. If any of the other representatives would have
offered that I would have been very happy and it is a win-win
situation. They get their $100 change fee, I get a $100 voucher that
I have to use on United which means they still have my business.
Isn't that what they wanted in the first place, is to keep my
business. It amazes me how much different each call can be as far as
the willingness to help out customers. Well persistence pays off. I
wish the first lady was as helpful as the last. Anyways, appreciated
your comments. I will check back to see the comments on how it ended.
Old March 27th, 2008, 07:57 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Something I will look into.
Thanks,
Kyle

Old March 27th, 2008, 08:16 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

On Mar 27, 2:57*am, wrote:
Something I will look into.
Thanks,
Kyle

Sorry I erased the original message. Look into Southwest.
Old March 27th, 2008, 02:20 PM posted to rec.travel.air
John Kulp

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 20:44:37 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I said how many, not who buys them. =A0But you are right those that want
to change it at anytime can pay 3x more than what I paid for my
ticket. =A0What a deal...

Then why are you complaining if you got such a great deal. =A0You're the
one reneging on the deal not UA.

Apparently you have never heard of sarcasm. I don't think I got a
great deal but that was the market at the time not much you can do
about it. Not sure where you get greedy. I think frugal or I am sure
you will say cheap. I can't just throw money around, apparently I am
not rich like you. I like deals as most people do and I don't like to
get screwed. In MY opinion they are trying to screw me. I choose not
to get screwed, because I have a choice this time.

As far as your other comment. Just because they sell the lowest fare
on their website does not mean it is a deeply discounted fare.
Apparently you do not travel much. Getting a deeply discounted fare
(by your defintion) is all luck of the game and I guess, your
defintion of a discounted fare. Prices change all day long for your
information. Again, I understand they are a business but that doesn't
mean they need to kill you with their fees. Yes according to you I
gave up the choice when I went for the "deeply discounted ticket" in
your words. But, they will let me change my ticket just take it to ya
when you do it.

Poor you. Try sticking to your contract and stop pretending you are
entitled to something else because you think you should be when you
renege on it. That's the whole issue here full stop. They would
stick by their contract and you won't. Complete rant, as I originally
said.
Old March 27th, 2008, 02:22 PM posted to rec.travel.air
John Kulp

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 23:31:33 -0700, "Mr. Travel" wrote:

wrote:

I know with the subject this could go anywhere, but just need to
vent. I have a flight home from TX to UT in about a month. My plans
have changed so I wanted to try and make it home a few days earlier.
Well, called united and sure we can change your flight for only $100
plus the difference in the fare. I told them they were crazy and
after yelling for a bit they were able to bring it down from $180 to
$150. Just a note I could by a one way fare for just a little over
$200 on their website. So at this point not saving me a whole lot of
money.

Perhaps the $200 fare is more flexible??

Why were you yelling about being asked to pay what you agreed to pay?
If you don't want to pay fees for changes, don't book fares that charge
them. You seem to be missing an important point. You do know that
airlines offer different fares, right? Why did you think your economy
fare was lower than others?

You're wasting your time. He does want to hear anything that
contradicts his fantasies. Not very much different than the BA guy
who also thought he was entitled to do whatever he felt like and blame
the airline for it.
Old March 27th, 2008, 02:23 PM posted to rec.travel.air
John Kulp

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 00:02:47 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Mar 27, 1:31=A0am, "Mr. Travel" wrote:
wrote:
I know with the subject this could go anywhere, but just need to
vent. =A0I have a flight home from TX to UT in about a month. =A0My plan=

have changed so I wanted to try and make it home a few days earlier.
Well, called united and sure we can change your flight for only $100
plus the difference in the fare. =A0I told them they were crazy and
after yelling for a bit they were able to bring it down from $180 to
$150. =A0Just a note I could by a one way fare for just a little over
$200 on their website. =A0So at this point not saving me a whole lot of
money.

Perhaps the $200 fare is more flexible??

Why were you yelling about being asked to pay what you agreed to pay?
If you don't want to pay fees for changes, don't book fares that charge
them. =A0You seem to be missing an important point. You do know that
airlines offer different fares, right? Why did you think your economy
fare was lower than others?

The $200 fare is not more flexible, it is the same class of ticket I
purchased previously. As far as fees I wouldn't mind paying a little
extra money to book a fare that is more flexible but when they charge
3x as much it isn't worth. My plans don't change that often, but when
they do the airlines sure try and stick it to you. I am just glad
that this time it is an option and not a must.

And they will undoubtedly be glad to have you disappear as a passenger
too. Ever think that twits like you taking up all their time with
idiot rants like this costs them money that they have to pass on to
rational passengers?
Old March 27th, 2008, 02:24 PM posted to rec.travel.air
John Kulp

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 00:25:07 -0700, "Mr. Travel" wrote:

wrote:

The $200 fare is not more flexible, it is the same class of ticket I
purchased previously. As far as fees I wouldn't mind paying a little
extra money to book a fare that is more flexible but when they charge
3x as much it isn't worth. My plans don't change that often, but when
they do the airlines sure try and stick it to you. I am just glad
that this time it is an option and not a must.

I suspect the price you paid and the more than triple the price ticket
are not the only ones you could have bought for the same flights.

If they made it too cheap to change, there woulnd't be a reason to buy
higher priced tickets. If you don't want to pay change fees, you might
want to try Southwest. They have no change fees. You just pay the fare
difference if you want to change flights.

I prefer the current method of doing of ticket charges. I fly quite a
bit using my own money. I have no problem accepting the restrictions in
order to get a fare discount. Over time, the change fees amount to only
a slightly higher cost in the overall amount spent for tickets.
In some cases, the fare has even gone down.

But, then, you're rational.
Old March 27th, 2008, 02:26 PM posted to rec.travel.air
John Kulp

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 23:42:18 -0700, "Mr. Travel" wrote:

wrote:

As far as your other comment. Just because they sell the lowest fare
on their website does not mean it is a deeply discounted fare.

You stated the full fare was over 3 times the price you paid.
What amount of discount do you think would qualify as "deeply discounted"?

I didn't even want to ask that myself.