Trip Report - SDF-DTW-AMS-BCN-MAD-JFK-CVG-SDF

Old November 6th, 2003, 12:12 AM
None

Default Shoe Nazis / TSA harassment

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Larry Gold wrote:
who cares if you held up a few minutes extra, what's more important than
your safety? your life

If I actually believed it would improve safety any, I would be absolutely
delighted to wait up for it.

And that . . .in a nutshell, is all that needs be said on the issue.

Old November 6th, 2003, 05:18 AM
The Bill Mattocks

"Larry Gold" wrote in message ...
who cares if you held up a few minutes extra, what's more important than
your safety? your life

That's a dangerous attitude. You would be very 'safe' if you were
kept locked in your home by armed soldiers. Good idea?

More important than safety is freedom. Anyone who doesn't 'get' that,
doesn't really understand freedom.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty or safety. --Benjamin Franklin

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote! --Benjamin Franklin
Old November 6th, 2003, 05:20 AM
mrtravel

The Bill Mattocks wrote:

"Larry Gold" wrote in message ...

who cares if you held up a few minutes extra, what's more important than
your safety? your life

That's a dangerous attitude. You would be very 'safe' if you were
kept locked in your home by armed soldiers. Good idea?

More important than safety is freedom. Anyone who doesn't 'get' that,
doesn't really understand freedom.

Correct. America lost a lot more than human lives that day.

Old November 6th, 2003, 12:59 PM
None

"mrtravel" wrote in message
. ..

The Bill Mattocks wrote:

"Larry Gold" wrote in message

who cares if you held up a few minutes extra, what's more important than
your safety? your life

That's a dangerous attitude. You would be very 'safe' if you were
kept locked in your home by armed soldiers. Good idea?

More important than safety is freedom. Anyone who doesn't 'get' that,
doesn't really understand freedom.

Correct. America lost a lot more than human lives that day.

And Americans continue to loose more every day

Old November 6th, 2003, 01:44 PM
Reef Fish

(me) wrote in message . com...
(Reef Fish) wrote in message . com...
[snip]
So, one time right before I walked through, I realized that I still
had my 18K Rolex watch on, so I quickly removed it and put it into
one of my SHOES (that's where this thread of Shoe Nazis comes in G)
and the TSA watching the proceedings told me to take that watch out,
and his reason was:

"If you have that watch in the shoe, someone (meaning the TSA watching
the scanner) might think you're trying to hide some weapon in the shoe."

[snip]

But in retrospect, I got to thinking about the STUPIDITY of the TSA
agent's remark and reason why my watch shouldn't be in my shoe. Would
the dectecting machine not be able to tell that it was a WATCH, and
that if there were other hidden "weapons" such as the metal shanks
inside the shoe that they would have been detected as well?

[snip]

They have a thing about combinations. I guess it makes the
screen a mess since everything appears "on top of" everything
else.

You guessed wrong. :-) If they can't tell a watch in a shoe from
a timer in a shoe that is a bomb, then imagine what happens if there
is a pair of shoes in the checked luggage with watches around, ALL
on top of OTHER things that have metal or metallic content!

A watch in a shoe ends up looking like a shoe with a "timer".

Nice science fiction idea. :-) See my preceding paragraph.

I suspect it's why they want the laptops out and solo.

Your suspicious for the reason is wrong too. A laptop is virtually a
THICK solid sheet of metal that obscures (blocks) everything else
unless the X-ray is set higher than the current standard of making
it safe for all films of speed 800 or less.

It then either looks like every other lap
top they've ever seen, or it doesn't. If it doesn't, it gets
searched.

Ya see, they don't really know what they are looking for. It's
just a show to demonstrate that they are looking.

Your bottom paragraph is really the BOTTOM LINE!

-- Bob.
Old November 6th, 2003, 10:05 PM
stephen

mrtravel wrote:

The patriot act (Domestic Security Enhancement Act) is interpreted at will
by those enforcing it. Here is an Adobe PDF version
http://www.infowars.com/pdfs/patriot2-hi.pdf

Again, please point to a site showing this was passed by Congress and
signed into law by the president

I can add something to my web site, and post a link. What are you
looking for, exactly?

--
Stephen

deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Old November 6th, 2003, 10:35 PM
None

Looking for: The exact date/verbiage where DSEA, more commonly known as the
Patriot Act, or in this case, the Patriot Act II, was passed into law by
congress. I believe it was either January 02 or January 03 when this
occured.

I'm also trying to politely find a way to describe the passage that
basically says a person can be held indefinitely without ever being charged
now, as long as an "inference" of terrorist activity either exists or is
alleged.

This is a serious issue that I don't want to see turn into a ****ing match.
If I am right in my interpretation, I'd like to know. If I am wrong in my
interpretation, I'd equally like to know.

"stephen" wrote in message
mrtravel wrote:

The patriot act (Domestic Security Enhancement Act) is interpreted at

will
by those enforcing it. Here is an Adobe PDF version
http://www.infowars.com/pdfs/patriot2-hi.pdf

Again, please point to a site showing this was passed by Congress and
signed into law by the president

I can add something to my web site, and post a link. What are you
looking for, exactly?

--
Stephen

safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Old November 6th, 2003, 11:04 PM
mrtravel

stephen wrote:

mrtravel wrote:

The patriot act (Domestic Security Enhancement Act) is interpreted at will
by those enforcing it. Here is an Adobe PDF version
http://www.infowars.com/pdfs/patriot2-hi.pdf

Again, please point to a site showing this was passed by Congress and
signed into law by the president

I can add something to my web site, and post a link. What are you
looking for, exactly?

The date it was signed into law by the president after being passed by
congress.

Old November 6th, 2003, 11:07 PM
mrtravel

None wrote:

Looking for: The exact date/verbiage where DSEA, more commonly known as the
Patriot Act, or in this case, the Patriot Act II, was passed into law by
congress. I believe it was either January 02 or January 03 when this
occured.

It it was passed on Jan 2 or 3, why is a draft copy dated Jan 9?
Every link I have found indicates it has not been passed.
Recently
http://www.cotse.net/privacy/patriot2.htm

Old November 6th, 2003, 11:24 PM
Steve

Default Trip Report - SDF-DTW-AMS-BCN-MAD-JFK-CVG-SDF

"Simon Elliott" wrote in message
Steve writes
While not air related, the Metro Line into Madrid is extremely
nice. It's a bit of a walk to the Metro station, but it's nice and I was
impressed with Madrid's metro system compared to the Metro system in
Barcelona (which does not goto BCN).

There's quite a convenient train service between the airport and Plaça
Catalunya in the centre of Barcelona.

Yup, which is great if you're staying in that part of town. However, I've
found it a pain to schlep luggage on the train from the airport to Passeg de
Gracia (ok, the train is the easy part). Going from the train station to
the yellow metro line is in Passeg de Gracia a pain, IMHO... (with luggage).
In some ways I find the Airport Bus better than the train (Blue A1 line) and
it goes to Placa Catalunya in front of El Corte Ingles. The best option
(and what I used this time in Barcelona) is the taxi -- it all comes down to
where you're going.

What I liked about Madrid is the metro system is nicer, more modern, and
more passenger friendly when it comes to pax using the metro system to get
to/from the airport. The metro station at MAD is quite a haul though from
the Intl terminal 1, but not so bad if using terminal 2.

Steve