GGC's - my $.02 worth

Old October 20th, 2003, 03:55 PM
Lloyd Parsons

Default GGC's - my $.02 worth

I've been following the various threads concerning the GGC and some of
the competing group cruises. I've noticed that there seems to be at
least some impression that the GGC is controlled (although that may be
a bit strong) by a cadre of Florida cruisers.

Personally I don't think so. I've been on the last two GGC's and found
the mix in the group to be from all over the place. This indicated by
the number of people staying in the selected hotel and my personal
interaction with many in the GGC group.

I see people from Washington state, all up and down the East coast, a
smattering from the midwest and a fair count of the West, not to
mention the Canadians that have come along on many of them. If I were
to pick the section that seems to have more control, it would have to
be the East coast. But even then, I don't think that is true either as
many of the most active members that consistently get deeply involved
in activities and pre-cruise parties are from the Midwest and West.

The whole idea of the GGC is to meet those from RTC that have been
conversing in the group but either have never met, or just meet once a
year for the GGC.

Of all the group cruises that I have monitored, the GGC is unique in
that it is more about people than it is about the cruise. Meeting and
interacting with the participants is the major highlight of it, IMHO.
It is the PEOPLE that make the difference!

I have met and made good friend from all over the country because of
the GGC. This group is much more tight knit than geography indicates
should be the case. Here in RTC and in other message groups, we
interact at a level of very close friends and family. But it is not an
exclusive group, but an inclusive one. The invitation for one and all
from RTC is implicit in its name and its formation.

A comment was made that the GGC's don't seem to go anywhere but the
caribbean and then depart from Florida. That is a fair assessment.
But there is a reason for that. In order to include the largest number
of people in the group, cost HAS to be a big part of the consideration.
Cruising out of Puerto Rico has been mentioned, but airfares to there
from much of the country are prohibitive and would eliminate a large
portion of the potential cruisers. Florida is usually much more
economical for all. Even the west coasters! Specials from anywhere in
the US to Florida are all over the place.

Now what makes the GGC different? People and the interaction. What
can be more pleasant than early morning coffee on the fantail of the
ship with very good friends you only see once a year? Or dinner with a
group of people that enjoy your company enough to eat, chat and
interact every night? How about the impromptu parties and
get-togethers that happen every GGC? Or the new 'best friend' you meet
that is just now joining in the GGC? Where the cruise goes, or on what
ship is literally secondary to that, IMHO!

For instance, last GGC I suggested a 'singles nite out' on a whim. I
thought what the hell, it might be fun. What started to be a single
night of that, ended up being an every night occurence! We had dinner
each evening together, usually with a couple or two that joined in.
The size of that group varied from 1-3 large tables over the length of
the cruise. I got to know some of the singles and others I had met on
the previous GGC in a more personal way because of that.

For me, the decision to go on the GGC is whether or not I can go, not
where its going, what ship its on or any of a slew of questions I might
want answers to on a different cruise.

It upsets me more than you can know that I most likely will not get to
cruise with 100+ best friends this time because of an uncertain job
situation.

Lloyd
Old October 20th, 2003, 05:21 PM
Steve in FLL

(Lloyd=A0Parsons) wrote (in part);
I've been following the various threads concerning the GGC and some
of the competing group cruises. I've noticed that there seems to be at
least some impression that the GGC is controlled (although that may be a
bit strong) by a cadre of Florida cruisers.
-=3D-=3D

Hi Lloyd,

I agree with the above statement in full.
In checking my recall of the demographics of those on the r.t.c/ggc
groups, I feel that the NE has far more in attendance than Florida.

While Florida, as a whole, may have more from one state, we, by no
means, "control" the vote.
ask Al Gore ;-)

We, in Florida, may have more of a propensity to cruise: by choice of
where we chose to 'retire', or just by our mere proximity to the major
U.S. cruise ports; by birth or choice.

I, like Lloyd, choose to cruise based on Who is going, rather the
'initial' desigination, destination or the line/ship.

I think that the key idea behind the "Original" GGC was to bring us, on
r.t.c., together. The GGC's have fulfilled that mission statement. And
I thank the original founders for that!!!!

I also have fond memories of the GGC2003, and the 'singles' get together
dinners..

What started as a quaint idea, blossomed into a many tables of singles
and couples sharing a common bond of friendship and camaraderie.

To suggest that the MOAGC replaces the r.t.c/GGC's is pure nonsense.
One decides who they want to cruise with; whether it be a SGC, Cruise
Critic, Cruisemates, The Conquistadors, The Vikings, Mardi Gras,
FantasyFest, WhoCruises, Chef's Cruises, Maj Jongg g and many of the
other group cruise out in the market these days.

I feel that the GGC's were the impetus for the formation of *many* of
these groups, and know full well that many group cruise will follow.

I, for one, did not like the whole voting/selection process. There are
many groups out there, and *I* vote when I put my credit card and $$$$'s
on the line.

Many other good points, Lloyd, and I agree with all of them.

Lloyd, I Hope your independent consulting business pans out. Sure would
like to cruise with you again Lloyd.

Sailed on the :
GGC
GGC2000
GGC2002
GGC2003

I was booked on the GGC2001 & GGC2004 ..but had to cancel for various
reasons.

Steve in FLL
Committee member GGC2002

--

Steve in FLL
Life is short. Make fun of it.

Old October 20th, 2003, 07:17 PM
Steve Hayes

Lloyd,
I have been reading this board for a couple of years now but have
never been on a GGC yet. However, your explanation of a GGC is EXACTLY
what I would expect and understand. It sounds like a great
get-together in which the best location and pricing is a major
consideration to attract the largest group. Makes sense to me. Some
day I will have to join in.
Steve Hayes

Old October 20th, 2003, 09:56 PM
Brenda

Same with us, as I am Auxilary Police here in Cleveland & my DH is the
"brain" of Ohio's universities as far as computer programming goes.
So Ohio knows we are in Hawaii every February 2-3 weeks. The rest of
the year, we must commit to lax times to plan a vacation. No
meetings, problem times with change if classes, etc.

Poor Lori with Princess cancelling cruises that we made reservations
for a year up front, so he got the time off. He cannot just goto a
calendar & cross off his former vacation & pencil in a new one. CPD
phones my cell phone & I am on the beach at Lahaina at luau & I am
asked if I can get to a freeway to close it & I tell them that is 11
hour plane flight........

Lori sends me invites for goup cruises but we are getting back from
Hawaii & no vacation time til May (maybe late April). Then again
after September.

I want to cry when I read the post from folks who "live" on
cruiseships. But they worked their lives away & now are rewarded
cruising every month. We can afford 2-3 a year, since we have our
yearly maintenance fee in Hawaii to pay & the air is free thanks to DL
SM. But maybe on year I will cruise with everyone from
RTC..........especially Lori & Barry with the kids.

Old October 20th, 2003, 10:08 PM
Lori Cunningham

Thanks you sooo much,
That made my day!

Lori Cunningham
http://www.skyscrapertours.com

[...]

om...

Old October 23rd, 2003, 02:50 AM
Sue Keenan

Sir Patrick wrote:

what is GGC?

Click on the following link to see info about this year's GGC, the
GGC2004, and the GGC FAQs:

http://www.ggc2004.com/faq.php

Sue