American Airlines' Preaching Pilot

Old February 9th, 2004, 01:28 AM
Shawn \Me\ Hearn

Default American Airlines' Preaching Pilot

In article 1meVb.114317$U%5.592505@attbi_s03,
"Geoff" wrote:

"ZenIsWhen" wrote in message

"rom" wrote in message
. ..
American Airlines pilot suggests passengers discuss Christianity
Associated Press

NEW YORK - An American Airlines pilot flying passengers to New York

asked
Christians on board to identify themselves and suggested the

non-Christians
discuss the faith with them, a spokesman for the Fort Worth, Texas-based

airline
said Saturday.

Flight 34 was headed from Los Angeles to John F. Kennedy Airport on

Friday
afternoon, said spokesman Tim Wagner. The pilot, whose identity was not
released, had been making flight announcements and then asked that the
Christians on board raise their hands, Wagner said.

The pilot told the airline that he then suggested the other passengers

use
the
flight time to talk to the identified Christians about their faith,

Wagner
said.

The pilot later told passengers he would be available at the end of the

flight
to talk about his first announcement.

Wagner said the airline was investigating the incident, and that the

company had
guidelines about appropriate behavior. He said the pilot had just

returned
work from a weeklong mission trip to Costa Rica.

"It falls along the lines of a personal level of sharing that may not be
appropriate for one of our employees to do while on the job," Wagner

said.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/...te/7900122.htm

Wait a minute ... perhaps the intent was to allow rational, non christians
(and atheists) to talk the christians OUT of their dubious religious
beliefs.

I was hoping that too until I read: "...the pilot had just returned to work
from
a weeklong mission trip to Costa Rica."

Maybe he works undercover for MI-5?

Probably a Mormon or other Christian denomination that does charitable
work in order to bribe unfortunates into believing in his fantasy.
Old February 9th, 2004, 01:35 AM
BTR1701

In article , Christopher A.
Lee wrote:

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 23:31:39 GMT, BTR1701
wrote:

In article , Christopher A.
Lee wrote:

I, for one, am very curious to see how AA handles this incident. I'm
not an AA fan anyway, but I do have to fly them from time to time.
If AA
tolerates this kind of behavior from it's pilots, I will make it
point to avoid
them at all costs. And I'll be sure to let them know why.

The sad thing is that if they take any action, the captain will claim
his first amendment rights are being abridged. It's the sort of thing
Pat Robertson loves.

And the captain won't have any more of a leg to stand on than his
passengers do.

Actually, the passengers do have a leg to stand on. He doesn't.

Neither one does.

Cite me the law American Airlines has broken through the actions of its
pilot.

Put the legal citation here --------

AMENDMENT I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of
speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to
assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Note how it only prohibits Congress (and by extension, the government)
from abridging speech and religion.

Private companies are not covered.

So the airline is free to prosyletize without violating the customers'
rights and it's also free to fire or discipline the captain without
violating his right to free speech.

No, it is not. Most businesses have anti-harrassment rules. I know my
own employer does.

The rules are created and defined by the business. The airline can
change its own rules to exempt religious prosyletization from the
definition of harassment if that's what it wants to do.

The point is, there's no *law* prohibiting an airline from putting
bibles in the seat pockets, printing bible verses on the napkins and
starting every flight with a prayer if that's what it wants to do.

They might lose business when people stop flying on their planes but
it's not ILLEGAL.
Old February 9th, 2004, 01:40 AM
BTR1701

In article .net,
"None" wrote:

"BTR1701" wrote in message

And you know who the sky marshals are on any given flight?

'Cause they stand up and announce "Hi, I'm Bob. I'll be your sky
marshal this morning..."

LOL, they are easy to pick out. They'll only fly first class

Wrong.

(the best
of course) they usually sit in the exact same seats all the time, they board
ahead of everyone else and are already seated,

Wrong.

You're 0 for 2. Good job.

and they generally look like dorks.

That's the first time I've ever heard a woman described as "looking like
a dork", but hey, each to his own.

Here's a hint: the people you think are sky marshals, who board first,
etc. etc. are most likely either airline personnel catching a freebie
flight or FBI, ATF, Secret Service or local police flying on official
business, going from one duty assignment to another. They are not sky
marshals.

But that's okay. As long as self-important dullards like you think you
can spot them every time, then when it really comes down to it, the
hijackers will be rather surprised when the real marshals stand up and
take them out.
Old February 9th, 2004, 01:43 AM
BTR1701

In article , John Popelish
wrote:

nobody wrote:

ZenIsWhen wrote:
He is paid, and expected, to be a pilot - nothing more!

Should that also preclude the "welcome aboard flight xx" messages from
pilots Or announcements that passengers on the left can see the grand
canyion ?

And what if there was a large group of religious zealots on board
(organised group), wouldn't it then be proper for the pilot to make a prayer ?

It takes judgement. That pilot lacked judgement.

The pilot asked Christians to raise their hands, and then said that
anybody who didn't have their hand up was crazy.

You seem to be hallucinating.

Where in this news report does the word "crazy" appear?

[...]

guidelines about appropriate behavior. He said the pilot had just returned to

Old February 9th, 2004, 01:52 AM
John Popelish

BTR1701 wrote:

In article , John Popelish
wrote:

nobody wrote:

ZenIsWhen wrote:
He is paid, and expected, to be a pilot - nothing more!

Should that also preclude the "welcome aboard flight xx" messages from
pilots Or announcements that passengers on the left can see the grand
canyion ?

And what if there was a large group of religious zealots on board
(organised group), wouldn't it then be proper for the pilot to make a prayer ?

It takes judgement. That pilot lacked judgement.

The pilot asked Christians to raise their hands, and then said that
anybody who didn't have their hand up was crazy.

You seem to be hallucinating.

Where in this news report does the word "crazy" appear?

That one didn't report it. This one (and many more) did.

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/sto...p-142438c.html

Do a google news search for [american airlines pilot crazy].
--
John Popelish
Old February 9th, 2004, 02:13 AM
PTRAVEL

"Christopher A. Lee" wrote in message
On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 21:59:07 GMT, "PTRAVEL"
wrote:

You are right about one thing: there is no basis for a lawsuit against

AA.
However, I hope you are not suggesting that the pilot's actions were
appropriate. Not only were they incredibly rude and disrespectful to

_all_
of those who do not share his faith, but they show incredibly poor

judgment
on the pilot's part. People with poor judgment should not be piloting
airplanes.

I, for one, am very curious to see how AA handles this incident. I'm not

an
AA fan anyway, but I do have to fly them from time to time. If AA

tolerates
this kind of behavior from it's pilots, I will make it point to avoid

them
at all costs. And I'll be sure to let them know why.

The sad thing is that if they take any action, the captain will claim
his first amendment rights are being abridged. It's the sort of thing
Pat Robertson loves.

He has no First Amendment rights in this context. The First Amendment is a
restriction on _government_ action, and has nothing to do with private
employers.

Old February 9th, 2004, 02:16 AM
PTRAVEL

"Christopher A. Lee" wrote in message
On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 23:31:39 GMT, BTR1701
wrote:

In article , Christopher A.
Lee wrote:

I, for one, am very curious to see how AA handles this incident. I'm
not an AA fan anyway, but I do have to fly them from time to time. If

AA
tolerates this kind of behavior from it's pilots, I will make it point

to avoid
them at all costs. And I'll be sure to let them know why.

The sad thing is that if they take any action, the captain will claim
his first amendment rights are being abridged. It's the sort of thing
Pat Robertson loves.

And the captain won't have any more of a leg to stand on than his
passengers do.

Actually, the passengers do have a leg to stand on. He doesn't.

Nope. No government action, no First Amendment rights involved.

American Airlines is a private business, not the government. It can tell
its employees to shut the hell up whenever they like.

And he'll probably still sue, claiming religious discrimination,

He can try, but he'll lose. He's not being discriminated against because of
his religion, but because of specific conduct, i.e. he can believe whatever
he wants, but he better keep his mouth shut about it during working hours.

AMENDMENT I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of
speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to
assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Note how it only prohibits Congress (and by extension, the government)
from abridging speech and religion.

Private companies are not covered.

So the airline is free to prosyletize without violating the customers'
rights and it's also free to fire or discipline the captain without
violating his right to free speech.

No, it is not. Most businesses have anti-harrassment rules. I know my
own employer does.

Right. And what the pilot did would almost certainly violate them. No
Jewish, Shinto or atheist FAs on board?

Old February 9th, 2004, 02:20 AM
PTRAVEL

"BTR1701" wrote in message
In article , "PTRAVEL"
wrote:

"BTR1701" wrote in message
In article k.net,
"None" wrote:

"BTR1701" wrote in message
In article

.net,
"None" wrote:

Great, another xtian freak just chomping at the bit to **** off
the next rag head who's bound and determined to teach a whole

plane
load of "infidels" all about Allah! That little announcement

would be all it would take
to push any hanky head over the edge.

Well, I'm an atheist myself but I think it's ridiculous to suggest
we as Americans should censor ourselves and give up our rights to
discuss matters openly and freely because we might tick off a

terrorist.

I'm certainly not going to keep silent because some religious

whack-job
might get worked up over something I say.

This was different. This was a pilot with a captive passenger load,
who was inviting those onboard who WERE xtians to bend the ears of

those
who weren't, most likey for the duration of the flight.

And those who weren't Christians can politely say "Can you please shut
the hell up. I'm trying to sleep (or read or whatever)."

You seem to think there's a fundamental right to never have an
unpleasant experience in life.

You are right about one thing: there is no basis for a lawsuit against
AA. However, I hope you are not suggesting that the pilot's actions were
appropriate.

Not at all. Personally, I would have been spectacularly annoyed. But my
remedy for that is to stop patronizing their business.

Mine, too, though I'd be awfully tempted to leave the plane, even to the
point of asking that the door be opened if had already been shut.

I would have no basis in *law* for filing a suit against them.

There _may_ (and only _may_) be some basis in breach of contract, though
it's a real stretch, i.e. my contract with your airline doesn't require that
I listen to religous indoctrination, etc. Either way, though, it would be
an extremely stupid law suit and wouldn't have much chance of prevailing.

Too many people these days think that if something ****es them off, they
should be able to recover money from someone for it.

Yep. No argument there.

Old February 9th, 2004, 02:25 AM
PTRAVEL

"John Popelish" wrote in message

snip

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/sto...p-142438c.html

Wow! It was even worse than originally reported. Some excerpts:

"An American Airlines pilot terrified passengers aboard a Los Angeles-to-New
York flight when he asked Christians to identify themselves and then called
those who weren't Christian "crazy," witnesses and an airline spokesman said
yesterday.
"Fearing the pilot might have some sinister plans for the flight, many
frantic passengers tried to reach their families on their cell phones,
witnesses told CBS News.

"Flight attendants contacted ground control about the incident, assuring
passengers that they didn't think they were in any real danger.
"Nelligan said she and other passengers thought the behavior was "bizarre"
and wondered whether his comments were a threat."

I take it back. There very well may be grounds for a law suit, specifically
negligent and/or intentional infliction of emotional distress.

This guy is a nut bag! If AA doesn't fire him, and PUBLICLY, then I think a
letter is in order from everyone who, like me, refuses to fly with pilots so
lacking in judgment that they can do this.