American Airlines' Preaching Pilot

Old February 8th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Mark K. Bilbo

Default American Airlines' Preaching Pilot

And so upon Sat, 07 Feb 2004 15:27:03 -0600 didst E.E.Bud Keith speak
thusly:

wrote in message
news
On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 19:56:45 +0000, rom wrote:

American Airlines pilot suggests passengers discuss Christianity
Associated Press

NEW YORK - An American Airlines pilot flying passengers to New York asked
Christians on board to identify themselves and suggested the

non-Christians
discuss the faith with them, a spokesman for the Fort Worth, Texas-based

airline
said Saturday.

Flight 34 was headed from Los Angeles to John F. Kennedy Airport on

Friday
afternoon, said spokesman Tim Wagner. The pilot, whose identity was not
released, had been making flight announcements and then asked that the
Christians on board raise their hands, Wagner said.

The pilot told the airline that he then suggested the other passengers

use the
flight time to talk to the identified Christians about their faith,

Wagner said.

The pilot later told passengers he would be available at the end of the

flight
to talk about his first announcement.

Wagner said the airline was investigating the incident, and that the

company had
guidelines about appropriate behavior. He said the pilot had just

returned to
work from a weeklong mission trip to Costa Rica.

"It falls along the lines of a personal level of sharing that may not be
appropriate for one of our employees to do while on the job," Wagner

said.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/...te/7900122.htm

Darn, I was going to post this with the header "Jebus makes pilot lose
job...claims he'll live on the love of the Lard."

And he will lose his job...can't have the mentally unstable in such a
position. I wouldn't fly on his plane, and I will send an email to AA
to that effect.

zamboni

And just what is that we call you, the guy was not harming a sole but you
compassionate liberals go for the jugular
just because you disagree with him. So he made and announcement but no one
was forced to do as he suggested. You jack ass libs are always spouting
about peace and dialogs, perhaps all he was attempting to do was create and
atmosphere in which people might talk to and learn from each other. But of
course biased people like you would not even consider that, off with his
head, right?

And you just gave a perfect example of why he shouldn't be opening a
contentious subject on a flight.

People can get quite nasty to each other.

I'm pretty sure his job description does not include "try to start fights
among the passengers."

--
Mark K. Bilbo - a.a. #1423
EAC Department of Linguistic Subversion

Old February 8th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Mark K. Bilbo

And so upon Sun, 08 Feb 2004 08:20:40 -0700 didst gk speak thusly:

"E.E.Bud Keith" wrote in message

And just what is that we call you, the guy was not harming a sole but you
compassionate liberals go for the jugular
just because you disagree with him. So he made and announcement but no one
was forced to do as he suggested. You jack ass libs are always spouting
about peace and dialogs, perhaps all he was attempting to do was create

and
atmosphere in which people might talk to and learn from each other. But of
course biased people like you would not even consider that, off with his
head, right?

His job is to fly the ****ing plane from point A to point B, not make the
non-Christian passengers uncomfortable (and probably a lot of the Christian
ones, too). He deserves to lose his job.

At least obtain one serious reprimand.

With just the different *christian sects that could have been on board and
the differences between them (imagine the baptists telling the catholics
they're "going to hell"), he could have caused some quite nasty arguments
in a confined space.

Is that safe?

Old February 8th, 2004, 05:16 PM
Mark K. Bilbo

And so upon Sun, 08 Feb 2004 01:41:48 +0000 didst Vox Humana speak thusly:

wrote in message
[...]

The last thing I want is to be forced to sit next to a stranger for hours
and discuss religion. The pilot has the ability to turn on the seatbelt
light and force all the passengers to remain in their seats. Secondly, with
all the craziness going on in the world I don't want to declare my religion,
or lack of, on an airplane. I do think there was some harm possible. I
think that requesting that passengers discuss controversial matters
increases the likelihood of air rage.

Mormons proselytizing the baptists, the baptists telling the catholics
they're going to hell, the JWs bitching at everybody, the...

Old February 8th, 2004, 05:16 PM
Mark K. Bilbo

And so upon Sun, 08 Feb 2004 00:46:50 +0000 didst Ninure Saunders speak
thusly:

-
[...]

WOW!!

That little tirade is a perfect example of "Cjristian love in action"..yes
sireeeee!!

Why do you aszume the people who have a problem with this are "liberals"?

And suppose that instead of being a Christian, the pilot was
aMoslem..would you be so supportive of him?

Somehow I doubt it.

And how about if the pilot was a Democrat and wanted people to share with
the Republicans on board just how bad a president Bush is?

Old February 8th, 2004, 05:17 PM
ZenIsWhen

"nobody" wrote in message
Just a comment:

When a crewmember wishes passengers "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Easter",

this
has real slant but nobody objects. If a crew were to announce Happy Haaj

(or
some other muslim holiday), it would be seen as very strange in the USA

(but
perfectly normal on an airline based in a muslim country).

western countries have to deal with the conflict that developped with
immigration between the constitution which is slanted towards

christianism,
and the human rights issue which dictates no discrimination between

religions.

Until religions stop being cultures filled with visible rituals, it will

be
very hard to integrate "foreign" religions in basically christian

countries.

In the middle east, foreigners are expected to abide by local customs even

if
they are not muslim (for instance, no female drivers etc). They can do

that
because there is no expection of full liberty and freedom.

But in western countries that claim full liberty and freedoms, you have to
learn to accept very different people because your constitution stipulates

you
cannot discriminate and must allow them to live the way they wish instead

of
adapting to your country's culture.

A country would have to define a "religion" as being limited only to

personal
beliefs and which exlcudes any rituals/customs/culture associated with

that religion.

The guy was a pilot - an American Airlines representative, in controlled
situation.
What you state is only applicable in generic, "man on the street" situation!

This is a VERY appropriate parallel to the religion in government situation.
While the pilot has EVERY right to his personal beliefs - as a
representative of "American"
and in a situation where he has power and control over the WHOLE plane and
it's passengers,
It is TOTALLY inappropriate for him to use that power and that position to
present HIS religions views!

He is paid, and expected, to be a pilot - nothing more!

Old February 8th, 2004, 05:18 PM
ZenIsWhen

"None" wrote in message
link.net...

"Yaofeng" wrote in message
om...
rom wrote in message

What he did may not be appropriate. But he was not preaching. He
asked Christians on board the flight to share their faith with others.

The NEW Christian Crusades!

Naaaaaa..the same old "shove our religion down your throats, by any means
possible"!

Old February 8th, 2004, 05:29 PM
devil

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 15:27:03 -0600, E.E.Bud Keith wrote:

And just what is that we call you, the guy was not harming a sole but you
compassionate liberals go for the jugular
just because you disagree with him.

He didn't harm their shoes, true. What's your point?

So he made and announcement but no one
was forced to do as he suggested.

He was the guy in charge. Gross example of abuse of authority.

You jack ass libs are always spouting
about peace and dialogs, perhaps all he was attempting to do was create and
atmosphere in which people might talk to and learn from each other. But of
course biased people like you would not even consider that, off with his
head, right?

He had no right to try get people to talk. Besides, getting to talk about
this sort of things potentially leads to a unsafe situation.

I sure would have been mad enough to make a big fuss. Homeland security
or not. Ask for immediate and public apologies.

I once found myself in a meeting room at breakfast. At the annual meeting
of a major American proferssional assocaiation. Breakfast meeting for
speakers and session chairs. That year, the meeting chair was some
brainwashed Christian, who abused of his authority in a similar manner.
By starting the breakfast with a prayer.

There were maybe 300 people in the room. When he started, I stood up.
Asked for him to wait until I would be out of the room before proceeding.
And I started walking toward the door.

Only took him a couple of seconds to react, "OK, let's have a minute of
silence instead." I am sure if I would have had time to get anywhere
clsoe to the door, more people would have followed and he would have ended
up with an empty room.

Old February 8th, 2004, 05:49 PM
None

"Mark K. Bilbo" -amikchi wrote in message
news
I'm pretty sure his job description does not include "try to start fights
among the passengers."

No, but rumor has it at AA, it IS the company policy to start fights among
the EMPLOYEES of the company.

They thrive on animosity, divide and conquer from within, and while the
employees are too busy bickering with each other, the company slips in
behind, loads their golden parachutes, then proceeds to slash wages, cut
benefits and triple up on work loads.

Rumor has it . . .that is.

--
***/***/***
When life gives you lemons

***/***/***

Old February 8th, 2004, 05:50 PM
None

"Mark K. Bilbo" -amikchi wrote in message
news

And how about if the pilot was a Democrat and wanted people to share with
the Republicans on board just how bad a president Bush is?

YIKES! Surely fists would fly!

--
When life gives you lemons