Chennai hotel and more Questions

Old December 8th, 2004, 07:54 AM
indonotabi

Default Chennai hotel and more Questions

My plan is flying to Chennai in the end of January 2005.

Can anyone recommend any good hotel, price around 400 Indian Rupees in
Chennai?
(I am a bit afraid of bugs and noise.Basic that's all I ask.)
Is bus the best way to get to the city center from airport?(for budget
traveller like me)
I'll stay 3 to 5 days there.

Then I'll have to make it to Trivandrum within 2 weeks by train.
After finishing business in Trivandrum
I'll have plenty of time to travel around south India.I'll plan that
after I get there.
But for my 2 weeks travel between Chennai and Trivandrum,
I seek suggestions where to stop and take a little time to look
around.
Neither I want to hurry nor travel too long. Maybe 2 stops between. 3
to 5 days each.
Also I can't spend too much money.
Do you have any suggestions?

I've posted several time on this group. There're lots of good and
helpful people around in this group.

Any suggestions or warnings about south India is also welcome.

Sincerely
Old December 14th, 2004, 09:19 AM
Cliff Bott

The New Woodlands Hotel, 72-75 Dr Radhakrishnan Salai, phone 811 3111, is
clean and has a variety of reasonably priced rooms. It is a favourite with
ex-patriate Indians going to Chennai to attend the music festival in
Dec-Jan. Because it is popular it would be wise to book in advance.

I understand there is now a fixed price taxi service from the airport to the
city, about 200Rs, the booking desk is in the airport.

Travelling by train is a great way to get around and also to meet people.
As well as day travel, on longer trips you can travel overnight in
reasonable comfort in A/C sleeping compartments.

For a 2 week journey between Chennai and Trivandrum by train there are two
possibilities: you can go via Coimbatore and visit one of the hill stations
at Ooty or Kodaikanal, Kochi (Cochin), and do a backwater cruise (highly
recommended) via Kollam or Alappuzha (Alleppey). Or you can take a more
southerly route and visit some of the temple cities: Thanjavur (Tanjore),
Tiruchirarappali (Trichy) and Madurai. Mahabalipuram is worth visiting on a
day trip from Chennai.

January is a good time to travel as it is in the 'cool' part of the year
(relatively speaking - Chennai is hot all year round). Only drink bottled
water which, fortunately, is cheap and readily available. Only eat freshly
cooked food. Particularly in Tamil Nadu, it is best to avoid meat and fish
and stick to the traditional vegetarian food which is widely available.
Avoid salad. Take a tropical strength mosquito repellant. Use air
conditioning or a fan at night to keep the mosquitoes away.

South India is a safe place, the people are friendly and, considering the
vast difference in income between westerners and the ordinary people, there
is remarkably little dishonesty and hassle. The main problem is with the
auto-rickshaw drivers, particularly in Chennai. Even if you agree with them
on a fare when you get on board, more often than not you find they ask for
more at the end of the ride. Also they are paid commission by the Kashmiri
tourist store operators so you usually end up travelling via one or two of
these establishments. There is no magic formula for dealing with the
auto-rickshaw drivers. Even the locals have problems with them.

In Chennai you should try to see a performance of carnatic music and/or the
BharataNatyam dance form. In Trivandrum you should not miss a performance
of the marvellous and unique Kathakali dance drama.

om...

Old December 16th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Nige

"Cliff Bott" wrote in message
The New Woodlands Hotel, 72-75 Dr Radhakrishnan Salai, phone 811 3111, is
clean and has a variety of reasonably priced rooms. It is a favourite
with
ex-patriate Indians going to Chennai to attend the music festival in
Dec-Jan. Because it is popular it would be wise to book in advance.

I understand there is now a fixed price taxi service from the airport to
the
city, about 200Rs, the booking desk is in the airport.

Last time I was stopping off in Chennai for a few hours, the airport looked
much better organised.

Travelling by train is a great way to get around and also to meet people.
As well as day travel, on longer trips you can travel overnight in
reasonable comfort in A/C sleeping compartments.

Am not sure if this is the best one, but you can certainly pick up some
excellent knowledge from http://www.seat61.com/India.htm

For a 2 week journey between Chennai and Trivandrum by train there are two
possibilities: you can go via Coimbatore and visit one of the hill
stations
at Ooty or Kodaikanal, Kochi (Cochin), and do a backwater cruise (highly
recommended) via Kollam or Alappuzha (Alleppey).

IS THERE A RECOMMENDED RESOURCE FOR THE 'BACK WATER CRUISE' ?

Old December 16th, 2004, 03:56 PM
bku

Here is some info on back water cruises.....
http://tinyurl.com/3mgx5

--
bku
bku's Profile: http://travelforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=301

Old December 17th, 2004, 12:38 AM
Cliff Bott

If you go to www.keralatourism.org and look under 'Houseboat holidays' on
the bottom right hand side of the home page you till find a list of
'recommended' houseboat operators.

The operator we used was Pulickattil, which I thought was average. If I was
doing it again, I would try a different operator.

The Lonely Planet South India Guide (2001 edition) has a detailed 2 page
section on the various options for Backwater crusies around Alappuzha and
Kollam. Presumably the other guides that were recommended as superior to
the LP guide in response to an earlier post by indonotabi have equivalent or
superior information.

Old December 17th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Nisse PowerMan

bku wrote:

Here is some info on back water cruises.....
http://tinyurl.com/3mgx5

--
bku
bku's Profile: http://travelforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=301
View this thread: http://travelforums.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19277
This post was submitted via http://www.TravelForums.org

Backwater in Chennai??? Well.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Dont miss the Taj Beach Hotel just outside Chennai, the beach is nice
with waves and it is a relaxed place.

/Anders

--
Remove the obvious part before replying by mail please!