Chennai or Calcutta ?

Old November 27th, 2003, 10:31 AM
Alexander

Default Chennai or Calcutta ?

Hi to all,
which city is more interesting for short visit? I planned to visit Andamans
and will stop in Channai or Calcutta. Which city is better?

Thank you in advance, Alex.

Old November 27th, 2003, 12:41 PM
N.J. Hillary

"Alexander" wrote in message
Hi to all,
which city is more interesting for short visit? I planned to visit

Andamans
and will stop in Channai or Calcutta. Which city is better?

Thank you in advance, Alex.

Two very different high population density cities but you might enjoy
Chennai more than Calcutta, especially if you can find time to travel to
nearby places like Mahabalipuram.

Old November 27th, 2003, 05:30 PM
Rupert

Yeah I enjoyed my time in Chennai - probably the only Indian City I have
been to that I could find a decent european styled book store that was
bigger than the average bathroom.

Old November 28th, 2003, 03:28 AM
Edwardseco

In article , "Rupert"
writes:

eah I enjoyed my time in Chennai - probably the only Indian City I have
been to that I could find a decent european styled book store that was
bigger than the average bathroom.

I guess it is a difference of opinion that makes for horse races but I found
Chennai boring. Also found good English language bookstores in a number of
other cities, go Hyderabad.
edwardseco
Old November 28th, 2003, 07:09 AM
Bijapuri

Chennai has more interesting things within overnight sleeper train range,
but Kolkata is a humdinger!

"Edwardseco" wrote in message
In article , "Rupert"

Old November 28th, 2003, 07:56 AM
Harry

I have been in Calcutta several times in the past.
I have met there several older English people and one told me a short story
:

Calcutta is built alongside the Hoogly River about 45 miles from the Gulf of
Begal.
People call the Hoogly the ass of the world and Calcutta is 45 miles up.

"Alexander" schreef in bericht

Old December 1st, 2003, 07:24 AM
Montecore

Rupert ) wrote:
: Yeah I enjoyed my time in Chennai - probably the only Indian City I have
: been to that I could find a decent european styled book store that was
: bigger than the average bathroom.

In Mumbai, check out Crossword and Oxford Book Store
In Calcutta, check out Oxford Book Store and Landmark.

To the OP: I reckon Chennai'd be a bit better. I am flying to the
Andamans tomorrow morning, and am in Calcutta today. Wish I had chosen to
fly from Chennai instead.

--
Vandit Kalia
this space for rent

Old December 2nd, 2003, 02:56 PM
Anders

Montecore wrote:

Rupert ) wrote:
: Yeah I enjoyed my time in Chennai - probably the only Indian City I have
: been to that I could find a decent european styled book store that was
: bigger than the average bathroom.

In Mumbai, check out Crossword and Oxford Book Store
In Calcutta, check out Oxford Book Store and Landmark.

To the OP: I reckon Chennai'd be a bit better. I am flying to the
Andamans tomorrow morning, and am in Calcutta today. Wish I had chosen to
fly from Chennai instead.

--
Vandit Kalia
this space for rent

Chennai has a wonderful beach to the southeast, I enjoyed every weekend
there during my expat time.

/Anders

--
Remove the obvious part before replying by mail please!