Porltand, OR to Thailand: advice? suggestions? tips?

Old January 8th, 2004, 09:15 PM
Sonya

Default Porltand, OR to Thailand: advice? suggestions? tips?

Hi, my boyfriend and I are looking to travel for a week in Thailand,
and am having trouble figuring out flights from Portland, Oregon that
don't take a day and a half out of the 7 days I have for vacation.

I would appreciate any tips/suggestions/advice on places to
see/stay/visit in Thailand, and anything that might make things easier
in planning.

If you have any packages, hotels or itineraries that you'd recommend,
I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Sonya
Old January 8th, 2004, 10:07 PM
Treemoss2

am having trouble figuring out flights from Portland, Oregon that
don't take a day and a half out of the 7 days I have for vacation.

You will never figure out any flight that takes less. It is distance plus the
International Dateline.

Old January 8th, 2004, 10:41 PM
SLW

"Sonya" wrote in message
om...
Hi, my boyfriend and I are looking to travel for a week in Thailand,
and am having trouble figuring out flights from Portland, Oregon that
don't take a day and a half out of the 7 days I have for vacation.

I would appreciate any tips/suggestions/advice on places to
see/stay/visit in Thailand, and anything that might make things easier
in planning.

If you have any packages, hotels or itineraries that you'd recommend,
I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Sonya

Try flying out of Seattle. EVA has quite a few flights. There is a brief
stop in Taipei and then on to BKK.

SLW

Old January 8th, 2004, 11:00 PM
Peter L

"Sonya" wrote in message
om...
Hi, my boyfriend and I are looking to travel for a week in Thailand,
and am having trouble figuring out flights from Portland, Oregon that
don't take a day and a half out of the 7 days I have for vacation.

You have to cross the international date line. Good news is you get that
day back when you return.

Old January 9th, 2004, 12:01 AM
Tim

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 22:41:18 GMT, "SLW" wrote:

Try flying out of Seattle. EVA has quite a few flights. There is a brief
stop in Taipei and then on to BKK.

SLW

United out of seattle makes one stop in Japan. That is probably your
quickest option. As I recall you only layover at Narita for 1-2 hours
which is a nice break and then get to BKK around 11PM local time.

Tim

I wish I didn't know now
what I didn't know then.
Old January 9th, 2004, 10:57 AM
O. K.

I agree on that point with Tchiowa: 1 week is a too short time to go to
Thailand. It's a long and quite expensive flight. You won't be able to see
much in this week, among other things because of the jet lag. Try to get a
longer vacation (if possible), you'll see it's worth it.

greets,

O.K.

Old January 9th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Richard

(Sonya) wrote in message . com...
Hi, my boyfriend and I are looking to travel for a week in Thailand,
and am having trouble figuring out flights from Portland, Oregon that
don't take a day and a half out of the 7 days I have for vacation.

I would appreciate any tips/suggestions/advice on places to
see/stay/visit in Thailand, and anything that might make things easier
in planning.

If you have any packages, hotels or itineraries that you'd recommend,
I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Sonya

Hi Sonya:

[Un]fortunately Thailand has a lot to offer and 7 days is not really
enough to see it all. As you may imagine, there are loads of
'tourist' things to do here. However, some find this a little
dull/boring.

Also, given Thailand's geographic position, it has a quite diverse
countryside - ranging from beaches in the south to the 'mountains'
(and I use that term very loosely)in the north. Although Thailand's
new era of budget airlines means it is a lot more affordable to travel
here, it is very unliely that even by travelling by plane you are
going to have enough time to see it all (at least, not this time).

As such, I would suggest that you narrow down what you really want to
do a little bit more. Fortunately this ng (which may give the
appearance of being a bunch of 'red-necks') is full of decent people
who live all over and who could give you some very useful insights of
what to see (once you've narrowed down your really want to do
activities).

What I can say staright off is the area where I live - Bangkok - is
once place you do not want to spend too much of your time. It might
even be refrshing to you if you avoid the place altogether - given
your very limietd travelling time.

In any event - I really hope you have a great time in Thailand. Also,
stay in touch - this ng could do with new blood interested in
Thailand.

Best regards
Richard
Old January 9th, 2004, 02:29 PM
Werner Mueller

Richard wrote:
snip

What I can say staright off is the area where I live - Bangkok - is
once place you do not want to spend too much of your time. It might
even be refrshing to you if you avoid the place altogether - given
your very limietd travelling time.

If you haven't seen Bangkok, you have seen nothing at all! ;-)
Go and see the Vimanmek Mansion.
peace

--
When ignorance reigns – live is lost!(Rage Against The Machine)