Cheap luggage bites

Old June 19th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Miguel Cruz

Hilary wrote:
john wrote:
Woolworths?

That's the name of a very old retail firm which went out of business
in the US a few years ago.

It's also the name of a major high-street retailer in the UK. Who are
still very much in business at the moment.

Still going strong in Australia too.

miguel
Old June 19th, 2005, 07:49 PM
mrtravel

Hilary wrote:

That's the name of a very old retail firm which went out of business
in the US a few years ago.

It's also the name of a major high-street retailer in the UK. Who are
still very much in business at the moment.

Hilary

In 1909, FW Woolworth expanded to the UK
http://www.woolworthsgroupplc.com/ab...up_history.cfm

In 1997, Woolworth closed its last 400 US stores and changed its name to
Venator. In 2000, it took the name of its top retail performer and
became Foot Locker, Inc. Source:
http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclop...lworth-Company

So, the US Company that was Woolworth exists today as Foot Locker, Inc.
Old June 19th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Joan McGalliard

Miguel Cruz wrote:

Hilary wrote:
john wrote:
Woolworths?

That's the name of a very old retail firm which went out of business
in the US a few years ago.

It's also the name of a major high-street retailer in the UK. Who are
still very much in business at the moment.

Still going strong in Australia too.

Woolworths in Australia was like Woolworths in the UK, but it has for
decades been a supermarket chain, not a "5 & dime". The supermarkets
are called Safeway in some states, and oddly share livery with the
recently defunct UK safeway chain, but I don't think they have any
connection.

joan

--
Joan McGalliard, UK http://www.mcgalliard.org
Old June 19th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Jack Campin - bogus address

This experienced traveler uses a bag that wasn't cheap, but sure looks
like crap. It's held up for a remarkable 13 years of near-constant
travel, and other than a broken zipper handle (which I replaced with
a jumbo paper clip in order to accentuate the trashy look) it shows no
signs of giving up. It's never been broken into, and I attribute that
to all the stains it's picked up from rain, baggle handling, being
kicked along airport floors, and the like.

In 8 years of lots of travel, my very cheap backpack which was the
cheapest Argos had in 1997 has stood up, a couple of the less
important straps have a broke, but it's still solid, and I've not
seriously thought about replacing it yet.

My 25-year-old Karrimor rucksack is still going fine. Grubby as you'd
expect from something that old, though finally it's lost the ingrained
marble dust from sharing the baggage compartment with a load of grave-
stones on a bus ride near Trabzon. It's had no repairs, though I've
customized it a bit by sewing on extra straps to hold a heavy tripod.
By now it's utterly distinctive on a carousel.

Old June 19th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Miguel Cruz

Joan McGalliard wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
Still going strong in Australia too.

Woolworths in Australia was like Woolworths in the UK, but it has for
decades been a supermarket chain, not a "5 & dime". The supermarkets
are called Safeway in some states, and oddly share livery with the
recently defunct UK safeway chain, but I don't think they have any
connection.

The Woolies across the street from me when I lived in Sydney (1992-1994)
sold everything from socks to hair dryers. But there seems to have been a
lot of changes in Australian Supermarketry since then.

miguel
Old June 19th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Jim Ley

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 21:35:21 +0100, Jack Campin - bogus address
wrote:

My 25-year-old Karrimor rucksack is still going fine. Grubby as you'd
expect from something that old, though finally it's lost the ingrained
marble dust from sharing the baggage compartment with a load of grave-
stones on a bus ride near Trabzon. It's had no repairs, though I've
customized it a bit by sewing on extra straps to hold a heavy tripod.
By now it's utterly distinctive on a carousel.

I thought mine was too, but I managed to walk off and through customs
at Jo'burg with someone elses...

Jim.
Old June 20th, 2005, 02:28 AM
spamfree

There is, of course, cheap and cheap. I use bags made from Cordura,
which is well-nigh indestructible. Those bags most often fail because
the internal steel stiffening breaks, while the outer remains intact.

Ah-ha! We may be in violent agreement. In my opinion, there are
three classes of luggage:
1) cheap crap that costs 50 USD or so, bought from such places as
Walmart; the fabric is usually thin nylon of some sort
2) intermediate luggage costing 200 USD or so, constructed of
Cordura and other quality materials
3) high-priced luggage such as Hartmann and designer labels

The type of luggage as described in my story was of the first category.
I personally buy luggage of the second category. Most people in this
thread seem to assume that there are only two categories of luggage,
and they are wrong. I remain convinced that buying #1 is a short-
sighted policy, buying #2 is probably good value for the money, and
buying #3 may be worth it (in the case of Hartmann and certain other
brands), but often may result in poor value for the money. Many
people assumed that I prefer #3, but they are wrong. In some
respects, e.g. handle length, high-priced brands like Hartmann are
inferior to cheaper brands like Eagle Creek and LL Bean. All of the
above references are American based, of course.

Pete

Old June 20th, 2005, 05:34 PM
nightjar

"spamfree" wrote in message
ink.net...
There is, of course, cheap and cheap. I use bags made from Cordura,
which is well-nigh indestructible. Those bags most often fail because
the internal steel stiffening breaks, while the outer remains intact.

Ah-ha! We may be in violent agreement. In my opinion, there are
three classes of luggage:
1) cheap crap that costs 50 USD or so, bought from such places as
Walmart; the fabric is usually thin nylon of some sort
2) intermediate luggage costing 200 USD or so, constructed of
Cordura and other quality materials
3) high-priced luggage such as Hartmann and designer labels

We are only in agreement if US luggage prices are exorbitantly high. I would
count very cheap as being GBP10-15 and expensive starting at around GBP
85-90, which is about the price of a Samsonite rigid wheeled suitcase.

Colin Bignell