musee d'orsay

Old June 21st, 2005, 03:45 AM
Chris

Default musee d'orsay

When I visit Paris later this summer I want to go the Musee d'Orsay. Is
there a way to avoid the long lines? I don't want to buy a museum
pass, since I won't be visiting any other museums, but is there another
way to get advance tickets?
Chris

Old June 21st, 2005, 03:55 AM
Dave Smith

Chris wrote:

When I visit Paris later this summer I want to go the Musee d'Orsay. Is
there a way to avoid the long lines? I don't want to buy a museum
pass, since I won't be visiting any other museums, but is there another
way to get advance tickets?

What long lines? The last time I was there was during the morning, mid
week in May ( a few years ago), and there was one person ahead of me at the
ticket kiosk. Louvre was another matter.

Old June 21st, 2005, 11:27 AM
Diego

Le 20 Jun 2005 19:45:52 -0700, "Chris" a écrit :

When I visit Paris later this summer I want to go the Musee d'Orsay. Is
there a way to avoid the long lines?

Yes. Show up early et voila.
Old June 21st, 2005, 02:04 PM
jcoulter

Diego wrote in
:

Le 20 Jun 2005 19:45:52 -0700, "Chris" a écrit :

When I visit Paris later this summer I want to go the Musee d'Orsay.

Is
there a way to avoid the long lines?

Yes. Show up early et voila.

Go early and go straight tothe top floor (Monet, Renoir etc) then work
down. Or alternatively go in the afternoon when the museum is open late.
It takes about 3 hours to see everything, longer to study.

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Old June 21st, 2005, 03:39 PM
Chris

Thanks, I guess we have just had poor luck. I've visited twice--once
last May and we had to wait about 45 minutes or so in line. This was in
the morning, but I don't recall how early. That wasn't so bad, but we
didn't have the kids with us. The other time was in August of 2001 and
the lines were down the block--we decided not to even wait since we had
a 5 and 9 year old in tow. That was the afternoon for sure. Neither
time was particularly early, though, so perhaps that is the key. We
are going primarily for the boys (now 9 and 13) to see the 3rd floor,
so we are definitely going to start up there. I doubt we will be there
longer than a few hours.

Old June 21st, 2005, 05:08 PM
Mimi

"Chris" wrote in message
ups.com...
When I visit Paris later this summer I want to go the Musee d'Orsay. Is
there a way to avoid the long lines? I don't want to buy a museum
pass, since I won't be visiting any other museums, but is there another
way to get advance tickets?

You can buy advance tickets at the FNAC outlets, the ones that deal with
"spectacles." I believe there's a slight surcharge. When we went just last
month (on a Friday), there was a longish line before it opened. Maybe if you
arrive a half hour or so after the opening time, there wouldn't be much
line.

Marianne

Old June 21st, 2005, 05:33 PM
Rog'

"Mimi" wrote:
Maybe if you arrive a half hour or so after the opening time,
there wouldn't be much line.

I suggest advance reservations or prepaid tickets, where available.
It was a great time saver to just about walk right in, past hapless
souls still in queues. But I did notice that lines will become quite
lengthy before opening, with some folks making new friends (we
met an interesting couple while waiting at the Vatican Museum),
but an hour afterwards, the lines were much shorter or gone. =R=

Old June 21st, 2005, 05:50 PM
Chris

That's great to know. Since the boys don't pay admission, paying a
small surcharge to not wait in line is worth it!