[OT] Waltzing Matilda

Old January 5th, 2004, 09:53 PM
Piper

Default [OT] Waltzing Matilda

Someone could kindly tell me something about this song please?

Thanks a lot!
Veronica

Old January 5th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Richard

"Piper" wrote in news:btcmdu$2vu$1
@lacerta.tiscalinet.it:

Someone could kindly tell me something about this song please?

Thanks a lot!
Veronica

Veronica,

You can start he

http://hjem.get2net.dk/niels_quist/waltzing.htm

Richard
Old January 6th, 2004, 12:50 AM
David Bennetts

"Piper" wrote in message
Someone could kindly tell me something about this song please?

Thanks a lot!
Veronica

A good source of info is at:
http://www.nla.gov.au/epubs/waltzingmatilda/

Regards

David Bennetts

Old January 6th, 2004, 12:55 AM
Ian S

"Piper" wrote in message
| Someone could kindly tell me something about this song please?
|
| Thanks a lot!
| Veronica

Go to http://members.eisa.net.au/~billm/Matilda1.html ...............
Ian S

Old January 6th, 2004, 03:05 AM

Thank you@ On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 23:36:48 GMT, Raffi Balmanoukian
a wrote:

in article , Piper at
wrote on 1/5/04 5:53 PM:

Someone could kindly tell me something about this song please?

Thanks a lot!
Veronica

Like what? It was written by A.B. (Banjo) Paterson - a New South Wales born
lawyer turned journalist and poet (he's on the $10 bill) around the turn of
the 20th century; according to urban legend was inspired at least in part by
the sheep shearers' strike of 1895, and is probably the most concise
expression of battlers' defiance, Australian iconclasism, and Downunderisms
(a/k/a "conversational orstrayan") that you will find.

Roughly translated:

An itinerant worker was walking along, stopped to camp for the night, and
while boiling a pot of tea by an oxbow lake found a wandering sheep. He
captured it and stowed it away, but was discovered by the rich landowner who
had brought along the police. Rather than be taken prisoner, he drowned
himself.

Old January 6th, 2004, 04:58 AM
Ian S

wrote in message
| Thank you@ On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 23:36:48 GMT, Raffi Balmanoukian
| a wrote:
|
| in article , Piper at
| wrote on 1/5/04 5:53 PM:
|
| Someone could kindly tell me something about this song please?
|
| Thanks a lot!
| Veronica
|

| An itinerant worker was walking along, stopped to camp for the night, and
| while boiling a pot of tea by an oxbow lake found a wandering sheep. He
| captured it and stowed it away, but was discovered by the rich landowner
who
| had brought along the police. Rather than be taken prisoner, he drowned
| himself.

Cobblers

Old January 9th, 2004, 12:37 AM
Keith Sayers

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 22:53:23 +0100, "Piper"
wrote:

Someone could kindly tell me something about this song please?

Wow !

Short answer is lots - depending on to which of the many
'experts' you choose to turn. But for my money I offer Richard
Magoffin (P.O. Box 123, KYNUNA, Queensland 4823 - his address in 1998
when he inscribed some publications for me). Not sure if he has a web
site - rather doubt it because he seemed to live in something of a
'humpy' - but you could try writing to him.

Keith Sayers, Canberra, Australia
Mail : 6 Clambe Place,
CHARNWOOD, ACT 2615
http://www.pcug.org.au/~kmsayers
Old January 9th, 2004, 05:36 AM
Ross

No. I'm pretty sure that he was a swagman not a cobbler.

Ross

"Ian S" wrote in message
u...

wrote in message
| Thank you@ On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 23:36:48 GMT, Raffi Balmanoukian
| a wrote:
|
| in article , Piper at
| wrote on 1/5/04 5:53 PM:
|
| Someone could kindly tell me something about this song please?
|
| Thanks a lot!
| Veronica
|

| An itinerant worker was walking along, stopped to camp for the night,

and
| while boiling a pot of tea by an oxbow lake found a wandering sheep.

He
| captured it and stowed it away, but was discovered by the rich

landowner
who
| had brought along the police. Rather than be taken prisoner, he

drowned
| himself.

Cobblers