Harry Potter and snogging

Old August 26th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Earl Evleth

Default Harry Potter and snogging

We always get the British English edition of the Harry Potter series.

It contains some expressions which are distinctly English English but
I thought I knew them all, already. However the latest book "the half-blood
prince" has the word

"snogging",

which I have never ran into. From Google

Noun 1. snogging - (British informal) cuddle and kiss.

Ah, those were the good old days;

Old August 26th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Keith Anderson

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 19:35:46 +0200, Earl Evleth
wrote:

We always get the British English edition of the Harry Potter series.

It contains some expressions which are distinctly English English but
I thought I knew them all, already. However the latest book "the half-blood
prince" has the word

"snogging",

which I have never ran into. From Google

Noun 1. snogging - (British informal) cuddle and kiss.

And NOT the kind of behaviour to be condoned in Hogwarts. Evleth
Minor, you're a disgrace, boy! Ten points from Gryffindor, and never
let me catch you with your hand under Hermione Granger's robes again!

Ah, those were the good old days;

Keith, Bristol, UK

DE-MUNG for email replies

Old August 26th, 2005, 09:02 PM
Alan \(in Brussels\)

"Earl Evleth" a écrit dans le message de

We always get the British English edition of the Harry Potter series.

It contains some expressions which are distinctly English English but
I thought I knew them all, already. However the latest book "the

half-blood
prince" has the word

"snogging",

which I have never ran into. From Google

Noun 1. snogging - (British informal) cuddle and kiss.

Ah, those were the good old days;

Surely you're not telling us that you don't have a copy of the Harraps
"Dictionnaire argot" (A-F + F/A, éd. Bordas 1980)?
How could any anglophone get by in France without one in the days before the
Internet?
(extracts):
snog (to) , P: = to pet
pet (to): F: se caresser, se peloter

Regards,

- Alan (in Brussels)

Old August 26th, 2005, 09:08 PM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and

Alan (in Brussels) wrote:

[]
Surely you're not telling us that you don't have a copy of the Harraps
"Dictionnaire argot" (A-F + F/A, éd. Bordas 1980)?
How could any anglophone get by in France without one in the days before the
Internet?
(extracts):
snog (to) , P: = to pet
pet (to): F: se caresser, se peloter

I don't know if they still have them, but as a kid I remember public
swimming pools I used to go to in Scotland having "no petting" among its
rules and regulations!

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
photos at http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer
Old August 26th, 2005, 11:02 PM
BB

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 19:35:46 +0200, Earl Evleth wrote:

has the word

"snogging",

which I have never ran into.

You've never heard that? When I was working near Reading for a couple of
weeks, I was always watching late-night TV because I could never get to
sleep (how could one get to sleep with all those sex shows on? .

One of the shows was about a bunch of late teen/early 20s kids in Ibiza or
some such resort area. They were constantly snogging, wanting to snog, or
complaining that someone they liked was snogging with someone else. There
was just a load of snogging going on. And I could only guess what it
was...I pretty much guessed it, but one's imagination runs wild.

--
-BB-
To e-mail me, unmunge my address

Old August 26th, 2005, 11:31 PM
DDT Filled Mormons

wrote:

We always get the British English edition of the Harry Potter series.

It contains some expressions which are distinctly English English but
I thought I knew them all, already. However the latest book "the half-blood
prince" has the word

"snogging",

which I have never ran into. From Google

Noun 1. snogging - (British informal) cuddle and kiss.

Ah, those were the good old days;

"Gizzus a snog, luvvy!!!!"
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old August 26th, 2005, 11:50 PM
Ralph Holz

Hi,

Earl Evleth wrote:

And NOT the kind of behaviour to be condoned in Hogwarts. Evleth
Minor, you're a disgrace, boy! Ten points from Gryffindor, and never
let me catch you with your hand under Hermione Granger's robes again!

Snogging never goes that far, or at least in the book it did not.

Possibly. But the intention is to go that far. ;-)

For contact details, please see www.ralphholz.de.