Driving from Berlin to Prague

Old May 5th, 2004, 07:19 PM
Daves

Default Driving from Berlin to Prague

I'm meeting a friend in Heidelberg in late August. My plan is then to take a
train to Berlin, spend a few days, rent a car and drive to Prague, drop the
car off, spend a few days and then take a train to Frankfurt to fly home.
Any problems with renting in Berlin and dropping off a car in Prague? Any
interesting diversions along the way?

Cheers

Old May 5th, 2004, 08:19 PM
tim

"Daves" wrote in message
I'm meeting a friend in Heidelberg in late August. My plan is then to take

train to Berlin, spend a few days, rent a car and drive to Prague, drop

the
car off, spend a few days and then take a train to Frankfurt to fly home.
Any problems with renting in Berlin and dropping off a car in Prague?

Apart from the fact that you will pay as much in 'foreign' country
drop-off fee as you will on the rest of your trip (car hire, petrol,
overnight hotel, air fares) put together, no.

Any
interesting diversions along the way?

Dresden.

There's no reason not to take the train for this journey,
it's easy and it will save you several hundred dollars.

tim

Cheers

Old May 5th, 2004, 11:53 PM
Martin Stock

"Daves" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I'm meeting a friend in Heidelberg in late August. My plan is then to take

train to Berlin, spend a few days, rent a car and drive to Prague, drop

the
car off, spend a few days and then take a train to Frankfurt to fly home.
Any problems with renting in Berlin and dropping off a car in Prague?

a) You cannot take all type of cars to Prague. And you have to ask in
advance. Czech Republic is normally not included in the countries you
allowed to drive to with your rental car.
b) International drop off fees are mostly expensive

There are direct EC trains from Berlin to Prague. Single ticket 2nd class is
EUR 50,-.
Departures at Berlin Ostbahnhof at 07:49, 09:49, 13:49, 15:49 and 17:49.
Travel time is 4,5 hours

Any
interesting diversions along the way?

http://www.dresden.de/index.html?node=12248
http://www.saechsische-schweiz.de/
http://www.saechsische-dampfschifffa.../index_en.html

You can interrupt your journey at Dresden with the above mentioned train
ticket. For a few hours and even for a few days.

Old May 6th, 2004, 02:26 AM
Ivan Sever

In article ,
"Martin Stock" wrote:

"Daves" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I'm meeting a friend in Heidelberg in late August. My plan is then to take

train to Berlin, spend a few days, rent a car and drive to Prague, drop

the
car off, spend a few days and then take a train to Frankfurt to fly home.
Any problems with renting in Berlin and dropping off a car in Prague?

a) You cannot take all type of cars to Prague. And you have to ask in
advance. Czech Republic is normally not included in the countries you
allowed to drive to with your rental car.

This may be changing now that the Czech Republic is in the EU.

Ivan
The Czech Republic FAQ:
http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~sever/Czech.homepage.html
A Unique Internet Resourcem older than Google, Java and Amazon
Old May 6th, 2004, 01:17 PM
Daves

The reason for the train-drive option is that I can get a rail-drive pass (2
days car rental, 2 days train pass) for about $400 Canadian (240 Euros) for
two people. I thought that was a better deal than paying for trains the
whole route. I think I need to research this a bit more.

Old May 6th, 2004, 09:07 PM
Martin Stock

"Daves" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
The reason for the train-drive option is that I can get a rail-drive pass

(2
days car rental, 2 days train pass) for about $400 Canadian (240 Euros)

for
two people. I thought that was a better deal than paying for trains the
whole route. I think I need to research this a bit more.

Price for a single ticket 2nd class Berlin - Prague for 2 persons is EUR
78,25 (not 2 x 50,- !).
http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/english.html

For cheap car rentals see:
http://www.sixti.com (a Smart from EUR 5,00 per day)