Alabama Liquor Laws

Old November 7th, 2004, 12:36 AM
Frank F. Matthews

Tiger wrote:

On 6 Nov 2004 04:30:52 -0800, (SP Cook) wrote:

Tiger wrote in message

I see from the state website that it is illegal to take liquor into
Alabama. How is this policed? Is my car likely to be searched at the
Georgia/Alabama border when I drive from Atlanta airport with my UK
bottle of duty free next week?

On a theoretical basis, its illegal to take liquor (or tobacco) across
any state line. Residents are also supposed to write the state a
check for its lost sales tax for any purchses out of state.

THERE IS NO SEARCH AT A STATE BORDER IN THE USA. Crossing a state
border is merely noted by a sign on the highway. You will not get in
trouble for bringing a bottle or two for person use from place to
place. The notice is there to warn people who would bring in
truckloads (the state tax on liquor and tobacco varries greatly) into
a high tax state for illegal resale.

One of the reasons for the original post was that we were stopped at
what I remember as a fairly substantial 'border post' between Arizona
and California north of Havasu City 10 or 12 years ago. We weren't
searched but asked if we had some particular fruit or vegetables.

The thread has been fascinating, probably over the years we've broken
a few state's rules. Ignorance is bliss! We'll have to see what next
week brings.
Tiger

Years ago california and arizona did maintain a plant quarantine
primarily to try to protect the citrus crops from med fly. I think that
eventually a combination of federal problems and local infestations mad
it not cost effective.

Old November 7th, 2004, 03:06 AM
Ken Pisichko

PeterL wrote:

"Everyboysmomma" wrote in message
PS...
I wasn't selling it!! It was for personal/party consumption!

Oh sure. Your speedometer was broke and the dog ate your homework too.

Hey, I thought the USA allowed the freedom for dogs to eat homework!! Isn't
the USA all about freedom and less government? Now you have made me wonder ;-)
Unless, you are just joking of course :-)

Old November 10th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Icono Clast

SP Cook wrote:
THERE IS NO SEARCH AT A STATE BORDER IN THE USA.

Wrong! Thoroughly, completely, and absolutely wrong!

Crossing a state border is merely noted by a sign on the highway.

Not quite wrong when "usually" is added to the sentence.

You will not get in trouble for bringing a bottle or two for person
use from place to place.

Probably not wrong.

The notice is there to warn people who would bring in truckloads (the
state tax on liquor and tobacco varries greatly)into a high tax state
for illegal resale.

Duh-uh.

I crossed the California/Nevada border yesterday, at Meyers. The
inspection station happened to be closed but it's often open.

Inspection at California's border crossings from neighboring states
are strictly agricultural. Agriculture is the state's biggest
industry, a very fragile one vulnerable to any of many diseases and
insects that could enter the state in a motor vehicle, even in a
decorative house plant or fruit purchased for consumption. It is not
unusual for such items to be confiscated and, occasionally, for the
vehicle ordered to be thoroughly washed before entering the state.

I don't know of any Californian who objects to the strict enforcement
of the agricultural import restrictions and accompanying inspections.
Un San Francisqueño en San Francisco
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net
Old November 11th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Ted Elston

Alabama Liquor Laws
Safety Tips | Emergency Info | Alabama Liquor Laws | Accessibility
Facts | A Message from Alabama State Troopers

If you may be consuming alcoholic beverages during your stay in
Alabama, there are a few state laws you should know:

* It shall be unlawful for a minor (under age 21) to attempt to
purchase, consume, possess or to transport any alcoholic beverages
within the state.
* Alcoholic beverage sales must cease at 2 am on Sunday, except in
private clubs and the cities of Huntsville, Birmingham, Montgomery and
Mobile, and may not resume until 12:01 am Monday morning. There are no
time restrictions during the week in state law.
* It is against the law to transport more than one case of beer
and three quarts of liquor or wine into or through a dry county. There
is no sale of alcoholic beverages in a dry county.
* All alcoholic beverages purchased outside the state of Alabama
are illegal inside the state of Alabama, and are considered
contraband.
* Minors under the age of 21 are permitted to eat in
establishments which serve liquor, but they cannot be served alcoholic
beverages. Minors under 19 years old are not allowed in establishments
which have a lounge liquor license only.
* Drivers are considered legally intoxicated and may be charged
with driving under the influence of alcohol if the alcohol content in
their blood is .08 percent.
* Alabama has an implied-consent breath analysis law. If you are
suspected of driving under the influence of alcohol, you are required
to take a breath test. Refusal can result in a 90-day suspension of
your driver's license.

Ted Elston,Alabama