Sudan

Old July 10th, 2004, 05:43 PM
ozieb

Default Sudan

I'm planning a trip to the Sudan from Egypt during October - November 2004.
Plan to fly to Khartoum, get the necessary permits and make my way down the
Nile via Dongola to Wadi Halfa. Does anyone know what the chances of trafic
going down the Nile are, compared to coming up the Nile from Wadi Halfa to
Khartoum? Anybody been to Sudan recently who would be prepared to share
experiences, tricks and tips.
Cheers and Thanks
Bruce

Old July 10th, 2004, 09:15 PM
s. keeling

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 16:43:57 GMT, ozieb :
I'm planning a trip to the Sudan from Egypt during October - November 2004.
Plan to fly to Khartoum, get the necessary permits and make my way down the

That doesn't make sense. To Sudan from Egypt, starting in Khartoum?

Nile via Dongola to Wadi Halfa. Does anyone know what the chances of trafic
going down the Nile are, compared to coming up the Nile from Wadi Halfa to
Khartoum? Anybody been to Sudan recently who would be prepared to share
experiences, tricks and tips.

Right now, it's Ethnic Cleansing season in Sudan
(http://www.economist.com/World/afric...ory_id=2668200),
however the UN has been screaming blue, bloody murder at them lately
so that may have changed.

When I was there, visas had to be got before you went, from their
consulate. Mine was a work visa, though, which may be different.

Sudan is poor; don't expect to find ATMs on every street corner
(though I imagine that may have changed too). From what I saw, the
Sudanese people were the nicest people in the Universe. However, I'm
not Xtian, Animist, or ethnic Black Muslim.

(*) http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling
- - Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/spammers.html
http://learn.to/quote http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html

Old July 11th, 2004, 12:28 AM
ozieb

Yes a little confusing. I will fly from Cairo to Khartoum and journey south
unless of course the advice from here is to do the reverse - journey from
Wadi Halfa to Khartoum and fly back to Cairo.
Cheers