Japan Rail pass

Old October 30th, 2007, 08:00 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

Default Japan Rail pass

In article .com,
geno.y says...

Hakone, suggest you purchase a Hakone Free Pass, for sale at the
Odakyu sightseeing Service center located on the 1st floor of Odakyu
Shinjuku Station (West Side). The Hakone Free Pass, valid for 2 days
or 3 days, starts at ¥5,000. You get round trip train from Shinjuku
plus transportation around Hakone area, a boat cruise and entrance to
many sights. If you're looking for cheap accommodations, try Kappa
Tengoku located in Hakone Yumoto.

Thanks. Would it be better doing Hakone (+ Fuji) as a daytrip from Tokyo
or stopping there for one night on the way to the Kyoto/Nara area?
--

Alfred Molon
Old October 30th, 2007, 04:43 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
geno.y

On Oct 29, 7:18 pm, wrote:
On Oct 30, 3:55 am, Alfred Molon wrote:

In article . com,
says...

Will be in Tokyo for the next few days, then I was thinking to do Nikko
as a daytrip, then go to Mt Fuji, perhaps Ise, perhaps a side trip to
Kanazawa, Kyoto/Nara/Osaka and Hiroshima.

You definitely want the pass for Tokyo-Kanazawa-Kyoto-Hiroshima-
Tokyo. The fares add up very quickly on longer trips. You should
probably get the 14-day pass unless you plan to do all that in 7 days.

However, if you do plan to do the above in 7 days, then get the 7-day
pass, since the longer pass won't pay off for Tokyo itself or for day
trips around Tokyo.

Which pass do you mean - the Japan west one (is it the Kansai?) ?

I'm not familiar with the East and West passes - but check carefully
which cities they cover. I think you would need the regular Japan
Rail Pass for your planned itinerary.

From what I gather, the original poster is already in Japan. The

regular Japan Rail Pass cannot be purchased within Japan. So he can
only shop the various regional passes that are sold to foreign
passport holders within Japan.

The JR East pass is good for Honshu north of Tokyo up to Akita and the
end of the Tohoku Shinkansen. JR West Sanyo Pass is good from Osaka to
Hakata. JR Kansai Pass is good for Kyoto, Nara, to Himeji. But get the
Kansai Thru Pass if you want to visit Mt. Koya. There is also a Kyushu
pass and a Hokkaido pass. But the only way to get from Tokyo to Kyoto
or Osaka is to purchase a regular ticket.

Old October 30th, 2007, 05:00 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
geno.y

On Oct 30, 9:43 am, "geno.y" wrote:
On Oct 29, 7:18 pm, wrote:

[...]

From what I gather, the original poster is already in Japan. The

Weird, my post got truncated. It should have read...

From what I gather, the original poster is already in Japan. The

Old October 31st, 2007, 05:29 AM
sreeja sreeja is offline
Member