Kyoto mid May 2009 help needed

Old November 8th, 2008, 03:38 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Marion

Default Kyoto mid May 2009 help needed

Hello,

Next year my husband and I will be in Kyoto mid May and we intend to stay
there for 4 nights. I had a look in the Lonely Planet and
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2158.html and got the impression that THE
sights are everywhere around town. My husband cannot walk far and long, but
we like to see as much as possible, so we might have to use public transport
to go around or hire a bike. What might be a good place for us to stay so we
can see as much as possible without walking too much every day.

Any recommendation for a nice hotel at a mid range price (western style with
bathroom/toilet)? Can we rent bikes from most hotels?

Thanks for your help and kind regards,

Marion
--

http://www.fahrenfort.nl
Genealogical data: Blokland, Fahrenfort, Van Maaren, Nietfeld and

Old November 8th, 2008, 05:49 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , Marion says...
Hello,

Next year my husband and I will be in Kyoto mid May and we intend to stay
there for 4 nights. I had a look in the Lonely Planet and
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2158.html and got the impression that THE
sights are everywhere around town. My husband cannot walk far and long, but
we like to see as much as possible, so we might have to use public transport
to go around or hire a bike. What might be a good place for us to stay so we
can see as much as possible without walking too much every day.

Any recommendation for a nice hotel at a mid range price (western style with
bathroom/toilet)? Can we rent bikes from most hotels?

Anywhere in town will be ok, because there are buses everywhere. But
your hubby will still have to do some walking, because from the bus
stops to the temples a certain distance has to be covered. Even if you
had your own car, you could only arrive to a certain distance from some
temples, although it's true that some sights are very close to streets
and bus stops.

For instance the Kiyomizu temple is surrounded by a pedestrian area; you
get out of the bus on the main street and then you walk up the hill. The
Sanjiusangendo temple instead is on a main street, 5 metres from the bus
stop.

I stayed in the Kyoto Dai-Ni Tower hotel near the train station, but any
other hotel in downtown Kyoto will do as well. See my travelogue for
more information:
http://www.molon.de/travelogues/Japan/2007/
--

Alfred Molon
Old November 10th, 2008, 06:27 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
geno.y

On Nov 8, 7:38*am, "Marion" wrote:
[...]

Dear Marion,

Hotels near the main train station, in Kyoto that's Kyoto Station, are
always a good choice. If you are planing to use public transportation
to get around, bus or subway, they start from Kyoto Station. There is
a wide range of hotels to choose from around the station. There are
also a lot of restaurants around the station so dining is not a
problem. Plus there is shopping in abundance.

These are the hotels I have personally inspected and like around the
station.

The nicest hotel near Kyoto Station is the Hotel Granvia Kyoto, it's
part of the station complex.

The next level down would be the New Miyako Hotel (old & new wing) and
another hotel, a half-notch down in quality, the Kyoto Tower Hotel.
Both of these hotels are across the street from the station, although
on opposite sides. The New Miyako Hotel is a first class hotel, Kyoto
Tower is better than Tourist Class but not as nice as the New Miyako.

At the Tourist Class level would be the Hokke Club Kyoto or as the
other poster mentioned, the Dai-ni Tower, the Dai-ni Tower this is a
sister hotel of the Kyoto Tower Hotel. Both of these are clean and
offer comfortable rooms too.

These are the main differences in the level of accommodations.

Hotel Granvia (deluxe hotel): Nice sized rooms, deluxe rooms and
better have an in-room safe. Indoor swimming pool, fitness center and
lots of restaurants. Note: Most hotels in Japan have an extra charge
to use the swimming pool (this hotel charges around $10 per use, per
person). You can expect staff to speak English. Note: Superior rooms
don't have an in-room safe.

New Miyako (first class hotel) : Nice sized rooms (old wing rooms are
bigger than new wing, but new wing rooms are much nicer). Many
restaurants and bars. Many staff speak English. No swimming pool or
fitness center.

Kyoto Tower Hotel (between a standard and first class hotel): Nice
sized rooms. Only a few restaurants. Many staff speak English. No
swimming pool or fitness center.

Hokke Club or similar (standard hotel): Room size is smaller. Only 1
restaurant. Front desk staff will speak English, other staff, some
English. No swimming pool or fitness center.

Note: Below this level of hotel are the "business hotels" in Japan.
These too offer clean rooms with private bathrooms with Western
toilets, but English may be a problem.

Almost all hotels in Japan have a hot water maker in the room, there
are tea bags (black & green tea usually) but no instant coffee, so
bring your own. Most hotel also have a cotton robe (2) (in Japanese =
yukata) in the room for you to use. In-rooms safes are only in 4 & 5
star hotels (mostly 5 star) as are swimming pools. Almost all hotels
have western toilets, most toilets are Washlets (http://tinyurl.com/
zejl9), western style toilet with a built in bidet, in most hotels.

Toilets are not a big problem in Japan these days, you will find
almost everywhere, even in public toilets, a very modern "Washlet".

In-room safes: Only the deluxe hotels seem to have these in the rooms.
Unlike other countries in Asia, theft has not been the problem that it
is in say countries like Thailand, so only now are the more basic
hotels installing in-room safes.

Yes, the sights in Kyoto are all around town, and the town is too big
to ride around on a bike. The local bus is the best way to get around,
or taxi, if you're doing the sights on your own. There is a Tourist
Information center located in Kyoto Station. They have self-guided
walking tour information plus you can also purchase 1-day bus passes
there. If you go to 3 or 4 places by bus in 1-day, it's a good deal.
If you only plan to visit 1 or 2 places in 1 day, just pay the bus
fare, the pass isn't worth the price.

Many sights in Kyoto can be visited on your own. The Old Imperial
Palace requires special permission as does 3 others villas in control
of the Imperial Household Agency. If you're into gardens, you may want
to visit Katsura Villa (one of the 3 Imperial villas), this requires
special permission.
http://tinyurl.com/5m5z2v

Note: Online permission is limited but you can go to the Imperial
Household Agency in Kyoto and usually get permission without any
problems. Do this your first day in Kyoto.

The easiest way to see the Old Imperial Palace is to take the local
morning sightseeing tour that includes the Old Imperial Palace, Nijo
Castle and the Golden Pavilion. These are 3 sights you should want to
visit anyway, and the price of the tour includes getting the special
permission to get into the Imperial Palace. So if you only want to
visit the Imperial Palace (old) then take the tour and be done with
it.

Japan is a country that requires walking to see the sights, Kyoto is
no exception. Take your time, stop and have a beer or do some shopping
along the way. In Kyoto there is always something interesting to see,
no matter where you are.

Enjoy Japan!
Old November 10th, 2008, 10:44 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Marion

geno.y wrote:
On Nov 8, 7:38 am, "Marion" wrote:
[...]

Thanks a lot for this very useful information. We are certain that we will
have a great holiday.

Marion