Another Young Flier Is Ignored - But There's Blame to Go Around

Old January 10th, 2008, 06:42 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Ablang

Default Another Young Flier Is Ignored - But There's Blame to Go Around

http://rickseaney.com/2008/01/05/ano...-to-go-around/

Saw this story on Consumerist.com: the parents of a Canadian child are
steaming mad at WestJet. It seems they paid the airline to watch over
their little "solo flyer" and apparently WestJet dropped the ball
(though the child did arrive safely).

Sadly, this isn't exactly breaking-news: there are plenty of other
examples.

But as a parent, one thing caught my eye: the child in question was
just 5-years old. I am by no means defending WestJet, but, whatever
happened to common sense?

I don't know about you, but I would no more let a 5-year old fly
alone, than I would allow them to play in the middle of a Los Angeles
freeway.

If you disagree (or agree), let me know.

--

2 Comments

1.

Isn't there some age limit for allowing children flying solo?
Common sense tells me that a 5 year old needs an adult companion and
should not be put on a plane and left to the not so tender mercies of
a flight attendant who has many duties to perform. I would call this
child neglect on the part of the parents or guardians.
If my grandchild (who is age 5) needed to be sent to us by her
parents and no relative was available to accompany her, I would fly to
her home and accompany her to our home. Yes it would cost a lot but
her well-being is the only concern.

Comment by anonmom -- January 5, 2008 @ 10:23 am
2.

Egh, i flew quite alot as an unaccompanied minor, starting at
age 4. no problem at all. Granted, all of those flights were direct,
non-stop.

Really, it's about the kid. I have a 10 year old nephew who I
would not send alone. But his 7 year old brother would be a-ok. And
his 4 year old brother would be fine next year.

Making rules for the lowest common is insane. Letting people
make judgments for themselves is a good thing. =)

Comment by none -- January 6, 2008 @ 8:23 pm