Digital Camera

Old July 6th, 2004, 02:05 PM
jtc

Default Digital Camera

I apologize in advance for this question however, I know I
can trust the answers from the readers here.
I have read the rtc groups for digital cameras and wading
through the offensive material has done me in.
So, I pose the question and yes, I will use it when I
cruise.
Having narrowed the decision to the Canon Powershot A80 and
the Canon Powershot s500 please advise first hand knowledge
of your use of either of these cameras or other similar
cameras. I want a camera with optical zoom as well as
digital zoom.
I am interested in a user friendly camera, easy portability
and no doubt will use for several years.
Thanks for your comments.

--

all incoming and outgoing mail scanned with current Norton
AntiVirus protection

Old July 6th, 2004, 03:13 PM
Diva

I don't know those exact models but the Powershot A40 is a wonderful, =
dependable camera that takes beautiful shots. I've had it 2 years and =
there isn't a thing wrong with it at this point.

June

"jtc" wrote in message =
ink.net...
I apologize in advance for this question however, I know I
can trust the answers from the readers here.
I have read the rtc groups for digital cameras and wading
through the offensive material has done me in.
So, I pose the question and yes, I will use it when I
cruise.
Having narrowed the decision to the Canon Powershot A80 and
the Canon Powershot s500 please advise first hand knowledge
of your use of either of these cameras or other similar
cameras. I want a camera with optical zoom as well as
digital zoom.
I am interested in a user friendly camera, easy portability
and no doubt will use for several years.
Thanks for your comments.
=20
=20
--=20

Old July 6th, 2004, 05:24 PM
News Reader

Don't have 1st hand knowledge on either one but I do have a S400 for
over a year. I am very happy with it and I assume the S500 will be
similar. Unless you plan to print your picture in large more (
10x14), the S410 may be a better choice. It will write to memory card
faster and it has less "noise" when shooting at night/dark place.

Old July 6th, 2004, 06:22 PM
jcoulter

Lee Lindquist wrote in news:amlle0hashi94kdq21a32brcivtdfv4pvt@
4ax.com:

forum where folks discuss canon digital cameras.

Also, other than a something to fill a list of marketing
specifications, digital zoom has no value.

I used to think this but when using a video cam the digital actually does
help you get closer shots that you would not be able to blow up in after
production as easily as you can with a standard digital camera. I have a
shot of an eagle in a tree at Ketichan that zooms back to reveal the town.
I could not have even seen the eagle as such with my optical zoom.
Old July 6th, 2004, 06:38 PM
jtc

thanks you for the information.....I have visited there
also, I want the optical zoom for the very reason that with
just the digital zoom you are very limited

--

wrote:

Having narrowed the decision to the Canon Powershot A80

and
the Canon Powershot s500 please advise first hand

knowledge
of your use of either of these cameras or other similar
cameras. I want a camera with optical zoom as well as
digital zoom.

I suggest you visit
http://www.dpreview.com

You will find reviews, sample images, and a canon-specific

Old July 6th, 2004, 08:34 PM

Life (and cameras) are full of trade-offs.:

My wife has the S500. I find the camera too limiting (not enough range
on the zoom), too small for my hands, not enough resolution, and too
automatic. My wife, however, loves the beast. It certainly works for
her -- she took over 1000 pictures on our last trip and has made
several computer-based slide shows she makes our friends watch.

Digital zoom is completely useless. You can do exactly the same thing
by editing the picture on a computer.

Paul

link.net...

Old July 6th, 2004, 09:55 PM
Brian K

On 07/06/2004 1:38 PM jtc after palpating a Gingko, electronically
interjected:

thanks you for the information.....I have visited there
also, I want the optical zoom for the very reason that with
just the digital zoom you are very limited

I suggest you visit Cnet.com for reviews on all things high-tech from
cell phone, digital camera, to WiFi Notebook and PC / Mac Desktop.
http://www.cnet.com/ They also explain what to look for in a given
product and make the technically baffling less so. I turn to Cnet
whenever I am considering a major tech purchase. They are the
"consumers reports" of technology.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.