Gambia - hole in the wall cash machines?

Old July 28th, 2004, 07:10 PM
Tom

Default Gambia - hole in the wall cash machines?

Has anyone discovered a "hole in the wall"
that actually produces cash in this country? My attempts in
Bakau/Banjul/Serrakunda & Kololi last year produced nothing but
regretful smiles from the staff. My bank (Nat. West) has no
suggestions...
TIA
--
tom
Old July 29th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Marc Lurie

I vaguely remember a machine in the lobby area of a fancy hotel in
Banjul somewhere, but for the life of me, I can't remember the name of
the hotel. I could be confusing this with a machine in a hotel lobby
somewhere else, but for some reason, I think it was Banjul. (there is
a statue of an elephant with an outstretched trunk in front of the
pub/coffee shop area of the hotel if that helps...)

Sorry about being so vague :-)

Marc - Johannesburg.

Old July 31st, 2004, 10:24 AM
Andrew Renshaw

Hi,

In three years of travelling to Gambia I have never found a hole in the wall
that works. You can get a credit advance on your credit card by going into
the bank but it takes upto 7 days and it is not cheap.

What I tend to do is take a small amount of cash and use my credit card for
paying for meals and paying for trips. I have found I can exist on £50 cash
for a week doing it that way.

Food on top of course.

Im going in a couple of months time and will be visiting a school and then
going up country. In prep for doing three months work in Bakau.

Yours

Andy

Old July 31st, 2004, 04:17 PM
Tom

In article , Andrew Renshaw
writes

"Tom" wrote in message
Has anyone discovered a "hole in the wall"
that actually produces cash in this country? My attempts in
Bakau/Banjul/Serrakunda & Kololi last year produced nothing but
regretful smiles from the staff. My bank (Nat. West) has no
suggestions...
TIA
--
tom

Hi.
Many thanks for the replies. This will be my fourth visit to The Gambia.
I really must look into the possibility of opening an account with a
Gambian bank which I can feed cash into from the UK. I'm doing voluntary
work with some nursery schools - teaching teachers, fund raising, that
sort of thing. I stayed in Bakau the first time I visited, more recently
staying in a village near Lamin. As this will be the rainy season I'm
basing myself in Kololi - I'm an old man and like some comfort!
Best wishes for your trip.
--
tom