transfers Zanzibar and Dar

Old October 14th, 2004, 04:31 PM
BZH

I seem to have gotten my locations mixed up. I asked for quotes for Paje by
Night and Mtoni Marine Centre and the $60 transfer was to Paje. Mtoni is
only $10. Mtoni seems much closer to Stonetown and therefore a better bet. I
also made enquiries about Botanic Country House. What suggestions do you
have? East or West. In or near Stonetown or elsewhere? We are nor all day
beach sitters. We'd like to see lots of museums and sights(culture) in
Stonetown, but adding a regular dip in the Ocean and a bit of snorkelling.
Eating in lots of local locations, etc.
thanks
Juliette

"Speedometer J Hyena (Whitedog)" wrote in
message ...
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 10:02:59 +0200, "BZH" wrote:

8 km outside Stonetown. Is the currency in Zanzibar not the same as
Tanzania? or do they have their own money? About money - no ATM's on
Zanzibar? What type of money do I take?
Can one change travellers cheques or do I take cash?

Sorry forgot to say....
Same currency as Tz but US$ will do just as well anywhere, your change
will always be in TzShillings though and you can end up with lots of
them if you're not careful!!
There's now an ATM that will accept credit cards in Stonetown, ask
anyone for directions!
If you don't mind paying commission then travellers cheques can be
changed in many places.

--

.--~~,__
:-....,-------`~~'._.'

Old October 14th, 2004, 05:09 PM

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 17:31:33 +0200, "BZH" wrote:

I seem to have gotten my locations mixed up. I asked for quotes for Paje by
Night and Mtoni Marine Centre and the $60 transfer was to Paje. Mtoni is
only $10. Mtoni seems much closer to Stonetown and therefore a better bet. I
also made enquiries about Botanic Country House. What suggestions do you
have? East or West. In or near Stonetown or elsewhere? We are nor all day
beach sitters. We'd like to see lots of museums and sights(culture) in
Stonetown, but adding a regular dip in the Ocean and a bit of snorkelling.
Eating in lots of local locations, etc.
thanks
Juliette

Ah well now you say Paje it all makes sense!! Those prices are about
right in that case, Paje is a long drive, not in distance but the last
stretches of road are made of dirt, rocks and potholes.
Mtoni is nice and has a nice beach area too and is just far enough
away from Stonetown to make all the difference. Stonetown is great, I
love it, but I don't like to stay there and it's nice to escape from
it after a day's sightseeing. Next to Mtoni is our friend's new place
(Maruhubi Beach Villas) which you can walk to and eat at for a change
if you're staying near town for a few days. Next to them is the old
Maruhubi Palace ruins which are worth a look round.
Snorkelling is easily arranged and is good near the small islands off
Stonetown. Chapwani Island ( sometimes called Grave Island) is a good
day out if you like exploring, though it's tiny, there's lots to see
and you can eat there too.
The East Coast is different in many ways, the reef makes the whole
scene different and the east coast beaches are nicer in general.
The reef also means that swimming is difficult or impossible at low
tides but again, there are plenty of trips out available.
Personally I'm not comfortable with the dolphin trips, as the boatmen
chase them to try to allow customers the chance to swim with them and
usually manage to scare them off, but it's popular enough.
The feel of much of the Paje and Bwejuu area is more laid back than
Stonetown or the North, though you'll be swapping the Mosque amplified
noise for the musical variety!
The choice of accommodation on the East Coast is huge, from basic to
luxury so it's worth having a look around at the competition wherever
you decide to stay.
Hope that helps, enjoy Zanzibar.

Old October 16th, 2004, 12:29 AM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
"BZH" wrote:

8 km outside Stonetown. Is the currency in Zanzibar not the same as
Tanzania? or do they have their own money? About money - no ATM's on

Hard to find ATMs in Tanzania! At least in Arusha and Stonetown

Zanzibar? What type of money do I take?

USD is always good though Euros are accepted too.

Can one change travellers cheques or do I take cash?

cash is better I think.