Dontation Clothing for Kenya

Old November 3rd, 2004, 09:56 AM
Pat Anderson

In message , Liz
writes
In message
"Scott Smeester" wrote:

My question is what would be worth taking? I heard from a fellow missionary
prior to getting all this stuff that the baseball caps would definitely be a
hit, but what about the golf shirts and the "April 2002 Biz Band Festival
Featuring the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band" t-shirts?

I've more than once seen the sort of T-shirts/tops I wore as a student (too
long ago to mention) on sale in Nairobi street stalls. And I've stopped
looking twice at the sort of white t-shirts with SALE written on them which
come from dummies in clothes shop windows here being worn by young men in
Kenya.

So I'd imagine that as long as you can cope with the logisics they'll be
welcome somewhere.

Slainte and good luck

Liz

Liz,
I`m sure you have heard of "Mitumba" the second hand clothes which are
sent out to African countries and then sold on street stalls. I have a
friend in Nairobi who has bought good leather shoes and other things
for a few pounds. When I first saw these clothes I mistakenly thought
they had been sent out as clothes for the needy and were being sold
"illegally". Of course Mitumba is actually big business! A few years
ago there were full page adverts in the newspapers in Kenya, from the
manufactures, saying that their businesses were suffering because of
these cheaper imports.
For Scott: The above is a different thing entirely to donating gifts.
Pat
--
Pat Anderson

Old November 6th, 2004, 06:48 PM
Evelyn Usher

Hi Scott, Have a great holiday. I am sure the clothes will be
appreciated
--
Evelyn