"False" Euro Notes

Old December 29th, 2004, 12:05 AM
szozu

Default "False" Euro Notes

About a week ago someone said that a 50 EUR note was rejected because the
signature on the note was "fraudulent." Today the same thing happened to me
at the supermarket with a 10 EUR note in spite of it being Jean-Claude
Trichet's signature. These new notes are just coming into circulation and
apparently many cashiers are not being informed:

http://newswww.bbc.net.uk/2/hi/business/3726634.stm
http://www.bportugal.pt/bnotes/assinatura_notas_e.htm
http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/stor...x8z&n=73841124

The whole issue is rather illogical; if someone were going to manufacture
counterfeit notes they would probably reproduce the current signature of Wim
Duisenberg instead of being creative.

Lana

Old December 29th, 2004, 06:27 AM
Sjoerd

"szozu" hoppbunny at hotmail com schreef in bericht
About a week ago someone said that a 50 EUR note was rejected because the
signature on the note was "fraudulent." Today the same thing happened to

me
at the supermarket with a 10 EUR note in spite of it being Jean-Claude
Trichet's signature. These new notes are just coming into circulation and
apparently many cashiers are not being informed:

http://newswww.bbc.net.uk/2/hi/business/3726634.stm
http://www.bportugal.pt/bnotes/assinatura_notas_e.htm
http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/stor...x8z&n=73841124

The whole issue is rather illogical; if someone were going to manufacture
counterfeit notes they would probably reproduce the current signature of

Wim
Duisenberg instead of being creative.

Lana

http://www.ecb.int/bc/banknotes/look...nature.en.html

Sjoerd

Old December 29th, 2004, 08:39 AM
Mxsmanic

"szozu" hoppbunny at hotmail com writes:

About a week ago someone said that a 50 EUR note was rejected because the
signature on the note was "fraudulent."

Of all the different ways in which to verify the authenticity of a euro
banknote, why would anyone choose to look at the signature, which is
_designed_ to change?

Today the same thing happened to me
at the supermarket with a 10 EUR note in spite of it being Jean-Claude
Trichet's signature.

People at your supermarket look at the signature on banknotes? Where do
you live?

The whole issue is rather illogical; if someone were going to manufacture
counterfeit notes they would probably reproduce the current signature of Wim
Duisenberg instead of being creative.

Agreed.

The signature is worthless, anyway. Many people have signatures that
are trivially easy to forge, including Mr. Trichet. Signatures are
actually extremely poor security mechanisms; they remain in use only
because the majority of people are honest.

Old December 29th, 2004, 09:41 AM
szozu

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
"szozu" hoppbunny at hotmail com writes:

About a week ago someone said that a 50 EUR note was rejected because

the
signature on the note was "fraudulent."

Of all the different ways in which to verify the authenticity of a euro
banknote, why would anyone choose to look at the signature, which is
_designed_ to change?

Today the same thing happened to me
at the supermarket with a 10 EUR note in spite of it being Jean-Claude
Trichet's signature.

People at your supermarket look at the signature on banknotes? Where do
you live?

In Cannes. This happened at Champion. The other incident I know of happened
at a hairdresser's in Antibes.

Lana

Old December 29th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Mxsmanic

"szozu" hoppbunny at hotmail com writes:

In Cannes. This happened at Champion. The other incident I know of happened
at a hairdresser's in Antibes.

Either life is slow in Cannes and Antibes (and I've heard that it is),
or there are an awful lot of gangsters (and I've heard rumors along
those lines as well, although more to the east).

Old December 29th, 2004, 10:38 AM
szozu

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
"szozu" hoppbunny at hotmail com writes:

In Cannes. This happened at Champion. The other incident I know of

happened
at a hairdresser's in Antibes.

Either life is slow in Cannes and Antibes (and I've heard that it is),
or there are an awful lot of gangsters (and I've heard rumors along
those lines as well, although more to the east).

Yes, life on the CDA is much slower than in Paris, but supermarkets are
nevertheless crowded and checkout lines are long--particularly during the
holiday season.

Lana

Old December 29th, 2004, 10:41 AM
szozu

"nitram" wrote in message
On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 10:41:55 +0100, "szozu" hoppbunny at hotmail com

There's a scam reported elsewhere where the person on the checkout
declares a good note to be a forgery and keeps it.

Happily, I was allowed to keep my "fraudulent" note. Perhaps I will hang
onto it until Mr. Trichet's signature becomes more widely accepted.

Lana

Old December 29th, 2004, 09:05 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

szozu wrote:

About a week ago someone said that a 50 EUR note was rejected because the
signature on the note was "fraudulent." Today the same thing happened to me
at the supermarket with a 10 EUR note in spite of it being Jean-Claude
Trichet's signature. These new notes are just coming into circulation and
apparently many cashiers are not being informed:

Interesting to know that European supermarket clerks can be
as clueless as Amercan ones! When the "new" American $20
bills first came into circulation, a lot of people regarded
them with some skepticism. (To me they still look more like
"play" money than the genuine article, but they seem to be
negotiable.)

Old December 29th, 2004, 09:11 PM

nitram wrote:

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 10:41:55 +0100, "szozu" hoppbunny at hotmail com
wrote:

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
. ..

"szozu" hoppbunny at hotmail com writes:

About a week ago someone said that a 50 EUR note was rejected because

the

signature on the note was "fraudulent."

Of all the different ways in which to verify the authenticity of a euro
banknote, why would anyone choose to look at the signature, which is
_designed_ to change?

Today the same thing happened to me
at the supermarket with a 10 EUR note in spite of it being Jean-Claude
Trichet's signature.

People at your supermarket look at the signature on banknotes? Where do
you live?

In Cannes. This happened at Champion. The other incident I know of happened
at a hairdresser's in Antibes.

There's a scam reported elsewhere where the person on the checkout
declares a good note to be a forgery and keeps it.

Hmmm.... Unless I were deliberately TRYING to pass a
conterfeit note, I'd insist upon them calling a policeman to
arbitrate, before I'd allowed them to confiscate my money!
(But then, some people still fall for bunco games like the
"Nigerian" letter, so I guess whoever said "never
understimate the stupidity of the common man" was right!)

Old December 29th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Gerard van Wilgen

"szozu" hoppbunny at hotmail com wrote in message
About a week ago someone said that a 50 EUR note was rejected because the
signature on the note was "fraudulent." Today the same thing happened to

me
at the supermarket with a 10 EUR note in spite of it being Jean-Claude
Trichet's signature. These new notes are just coming into circulation and
apparently many cashiers are not being informed:

http://newswww.bbc.net.uk/2/hi/business/3726634.stm
http://www.bportugal.pt/bnotes/assinatura_notas_e.htm
http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/stor...x8z&n=73841124

The whole issue is rather illogical; if someone were going to manufacture
counterfeit notes they would probably reproduce the current signature of

Wim
Duisenberg instead of being creative.

Indeed, and moreover, it seems very unlikely that counterfeiting notes of 10
euro would be a good idea. It probably costs as much money and effort to
produce them as counterfeit notes of 50 euro, but you have to bring a lot of
them into circulation (which to me seems to be the riskiest part of the
operation) before you "earn" a decent profit. And I think that
counterfeiting notes of 500 euro is also a bad idea, because it is likely
that such notes will be thoroughly examined before they are accepted (and
they are often used for transactions with people who will do very nasty
things to you when they find out that you payed for the "merchandise" with
counterfeit money :-) Notes of 50 and 100 euro are by far the most likely
candidates for being counterfeit money.

Gerard van Wilgen
--
http://www.majstro.com/Web/Majstro/s...p?gebrTaal=eng