that knife and fork stuff

Old June 4th, 2005, 08:50 AM
The Reids

Following up to SusieQ

But, I just can't bring my self to eat Pizza unless I pick it up and
fold it.

never done that. Its frustrating that you don't notice these
things at the time but I think Italians eat it with a knife and
fork, as you might expect?
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Thames path-London-Photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old June 4th, 2005, 08:52 AM
The Reids

Following up to Carole Allen

Yes..lots of folks in Italy fold their pizza...for one thing, these
are thin-crust,and not loaded with 50,000 toppings...folks fold and
eat them sort of like a sandwich..

Ah, someone with a better memory! I do remember that pizza in
Italy is much simpler than US style, to the extent of examples
with zero topping or a little cheese and some fresh leaves.
Old June 4th, 2005, 08:52 AM
The Reids

Following up to nitram

Did you know Debrett says eat first course with just a fork? Does
anybody do that?

Any tips about eating ring doughnuts?

it seems silent on the subject.
Old June 4th, 2005, 08:57 AM
The Reids

Following up to george

As to your original posting, I noted that you were eating in your
hotel. I found it amazing 8-9 years ago that there were only two
restaurants in Lerwick not associated with hotels open for dinner.
While shopping for food at Safeway there for our rented apartment, my
wife asked the young female cashier where she would go to eat dinner.
She thought for a few seconds, and then replied "My mothers".

I think generally in the northern isles restaurants are very thin
on the ground, I suspect crofters dont eat out much. Where there
are facilities its everything under one roof, bar, rooms, food.
On Yell, the motel, cafe and "pub" were all (permently?) closed
down.
Old June 4th, 2005, 08:58 AM
The Reids

Following up to Carole Allen

Did you know Debrett says eat first course with just a fork? Does
anybody do that?
--

What if the first course happens to be soup?

pick up the bowl?
Old June 4th, 2005, 08:59 AM
The Reids

Following up to Charles Hawtrey

It must take a lifetime of practice before one can balance peas on the
back of an inverted fork!

bugger that, if a "rule" is a pain, ignore it.
Old June 4th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Padraig Breathnach

The Reids wrote:

Following up to Carole Allen

Did you know Debrett says eat first course with just a fork? Does
anybody do that?
--

What if the first course happens to be soup?

pick up the bowl?

With your fork, of course.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old June 4th, 2005, 09:45 AM
d_jay_double

Nope, they cut it into wedges and then fold the wedges. The folding is
only partial and helps keep the wedges straight. Thumb and middle
finger underneath, index finger squashing the top down and, hey presto!
the slice stays straight enough to eat. Wouldn't work with thick base
and heavy toppings. But then Debrett's does frown on heavy toppings....

Old June 4th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Earl Evleth

On 4/06/05 9:58, in article , "The
Reids" wrote:

What if the first course happens to be soup?

pick up the bowl?

Watch out, do not drink from the finger bowl

Earl

Old June 4th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Alan S

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 10:17:01 +0200, nitram
wrote:

Any tips about eating ring doughnuts?

Yep. Don't.

Cheers, Alan, Australia

Alan "Debrett" Bon Viveur, cultural attache to the Court of Saint
James?
--

Nope. Alan who used to eat lots of them while driving cabs
in Melbourne, and now reads and posts on

Care to join me? No race, creed, or any other
discrimination, only one membership qualification :-)

Cheers, Alan, Australia