Houston/Galveston

Old January 27th, 2004, 08:15 PM
LES!

Default Houston/Galveston

I'm trying to find a hotel for the night before our cruise. So I've been
searching for the cruise terminals address for Galveston.

On all the pages I've found, they do not list the NCL Sea as leaving from
there (Also, none have listed the address other than saying it is on 25th
street and some say 22nd st.). Is there a separate terminal for NCL? Is
there one located in Houston? Some agent sites list the cruise as leaving
from Houston, and some list it from Galveston.

Anyone have any information on where it leaves from and possibly the address
so I can find a nearby hotel?

Thanx

--

LES!

"It takes the Village People to raise a child. Sometimes you need a cowboy,
sometimes you need a cop, and sometimes you need a big gay Indian."

- Unknown (possibly Dharma & Greg)

a disturbing new study shows that studies are disturbing.

-ellen

===================================

To email me privately, remove your lips from my ass!

Old January 27th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Thomas E. Parody

Les,

NCL sails from the port of Houston. For more information on location,
directions, hotels, etc. go to http://www.portofhouston.com/

Old January 27th, 2004, 10:46 PM
Richard Whitlock

Hi Les:

The terminal is at Barbours Cut and in an area about as scenic as your local
junkyard. It is basically a container storage area. There aren't any hotels
close by. There are motels in LaPorte which is about as close as you can get to
the terminal which is maybe five miles away (I am not good on mileage). La
Quinta is one I know of but there are a few more. You might want to check out
motels in LaPorte on-line and then contact them and ask if they have shuttle
service to the terminal. I saw where the Houston Port Authority web site
suggests looking for hotels in Kemah or Clear Lake but LaPorte is closer. Kemah
would be more "fun" as they have a Boardwalk with entertainment and restaurants
but it is probably about ten miles south of the terminal and only two are within
walking distance of the Boardwalk--one very pricey particularly on weekends.
Don't know what the other one gets but it looks a little more reasonable. How
were you planning to get from the airport to the terminal? Cab? I have no clue
what the cab fare would be from the airport (which airport--Bush or Hobby) but
my guess would be in the $50-60 range.

It is great to have cruising at my back door but I feel sorry for those coming
in from out of town as the ports are not convenient to either airport. It takes
about an hour to get to the port from the airport which is probably why it has
taken so long to get a cruise market here. Most of the cruisers are from the
Texas/Louisiana area that can drive in. If you fly in, you are at the mercy of
the cruise-line's transportation or cab/shuttle service.

Tucker in Texas

Old January 27th, 2004, 11:39 PM
D Ball

Les,

Richard knows what he is talking about. I recently researched lodging in
that area for a girls' retreat to explore Kemah and eat lots of shrimp. Here
are some links I came up with:

http://www.clearlakehotels.com/
http://www.kemah.com/
http://www.captsquarters.com/
http://www.gardenoriginals.com/
http://www.kemahescape.com/
http://www.kemahbayhouse.com/

You'd have to talk to all of these places about airport transfer, then transfer
to port the next day. Maybe some of them are getting savvy to the NCL cruise
pax market and offering assistance that way, as cabs would be pricey?

If push comes to shove, fly into Hobby and pick an airport hotel, then take
one of the limo/shuttles that will do the port run for you the next day.
If the Port of Houston website doesn't have a list, the Port of Galveston
website does, and you can google the archives for recommendations. (I am
assuming you'll do Southwest from NM into Hobby; otherwise, if you fly into
IAH, the economics would probably still work out more or less the same--pick
an IAH airport hotel and do the limo/shuttle the next a.m.).

Good luck!

Diana Ball
Near Houston, TX
http://www.dianaball.net

Next up: Celebrity Millennium – Med – June 04
RCI Mariner – E Carib – Holidays 03
RCI Serenade – Transatlantic – Maiden 08/04/03
Star Princess – Mex Riviera – Holidays 02
Dawn Princess – Alaska – July 02
NCL Star – Hawaii – June 02
RCI Rhapsody – W Carib – Holidays 01 (back-to-back)
RCI Explorer – E Carib – Holidays 00
NCL Sea – W Carib – Holidays 99