Russia via Bering Strait via Alaska (and Pan American Highway)

Old December 29th, 2004, 07:44 AM

Default Russia via Bering Strait via Alaska (and Pan American Highway)

Does anyone have any knowledge of whether it would be possible with a
4-wheel drive vehicle (say, a Diesel Hummer H1) towing 1,500 gallons of
Diesel fuel to from California go to Alaska, traverse Alaska to the
shoreline of the Bering Strait and pay a barge or other vessel to carry
the vehicle and its occupants across the strait to Russia, and from
there drive through Russia, through Eastern Europe to Western Europe?

Thanks!
Michelle

P.S. Also if anyone has any knowledge of whether the Pan-American
highway is still completely passable to drive from California to the
tip of South America, I'd be interested in knowing that too.

Old December 30th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Callithrix

That's true, that's true. I'm a Russian. And I was in those places for
a couple of times for business. We've been dropped there by
helicopter... Otherwise, you'll need both caterpillar off-roader and a
swamp truck (it's like a small monster truck with bare balloons instead
of tyres) and still you won't be able to get through whole Siberia...
just because of other obstacles (there are no bridges on the rivers...)

Another bad problem - you won't be able to repair your Hummer once it
gets broken (and it will for sure) until you reach more civilized
places, which are at least 3000-4000 km inland. And money is not a
matter - there are no facilities to repair fancy computer-controlled
cars with automatic transmission etc.

But, if you are desperately perseverant to do the trip, it's an option
to contact Hummer bosses and discuss if they will to provide the
necessary assistance to you in exchange of using your journey in a
reklama campaign...

Old December 30th, 2004, 08:33 PM
Callithrix

humans can hardly walk through it.
-----------------------------
Oh, that is not that bad... you can walk once you got used to. All you
really need is wading boots in the summer (moskito net is optional -
it's better not to pay attention to those little suckers). Then you can
make up to 30-40 km a day.

There are no McDonald'ses - that's a pity.

Old December 30th, 2004, 09:49 PM

To the guy who said "Look at a map first! duh!" I know there are no
roads or services. I don't need a map to tell me that. That's why I
suggested using a Diesel 4wd Hummer with a 1,500 lb. tank-trailer for
fuel.

It might take a long time to go through Alaska and Siberia, but it
would definitely be an expedition that would get a lot of press. And
Hummer would love that! They would certainly pay some a handsome
amount of money as a sponsor of the excursion. In fact, someone could
get a lot of sponsors to do that. It doesn't even matter if the person
is successful or not at getting to Western Europe...just the idea of
someone trying would get a huge amount of press. People would follow
it. They'd be tracking the expedition with GPS coordinates... It
would be on the news... Like climbing Mount Everest or K2!!
Who is going to take the challenge?

Old December 31st, 2004, 12:11 AM
Keith W

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Its been done , for an account of a trans Siberian trip (both ways !)
in a Land Rover see

http://www.landroverclub.net/Club/HTML/Vladivostok.htm

The secret seems to be driving behind the train along the trans siberian
railway through the 'impenetrable' bits.

Keith

Old December 31st, 2004, 12:13 AM
Keith W

"Callithrix" wrote in message
oups.com...
That's true, that's true. I'm a Russian. And I was in those places for
a couple of times for business. We've been dropped there by
helicopter... Otherwise, you'll need both caterpillar off-roader and a
swamp truck (it's like a small monster truck with bare balloons instead
of tyres) and still you won't be able to get through whole Siberia...
just because of other obstacles (there are no bridges on the rivers...)

Another bad problem - you won't be able to repair your Hummer once it
gets broken (and it will for sure) until you reach more civilized
places, which are at least 3000-4000 km inland. And money is not a
matter - there are no facilities to repair fancy computer-controlled
cars with automatic transmission etc.

Which is probably why the last succesful trip was made in
a Land Rover Defender. No fancy electronics here,
carburettors and leaf springs for suspension which can be easily
replaced when they break.

Keith