A week in Slovenia

Old June 30th, 2011, 10:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Sheila Page[_2_]

Default A week in Slovenia

In message , Jesper Lauridsen
writes
On 2011-06-30, Gerald Oliver Swift wrote:

"Jesper Lauridsen" wrote in message
Planning a SUN-SAT (6 nights) trip to Slovenia, using Munich as the
gateway. Both flights are early in the day, so the final night will
be near the airport, leaving 5 nights in Slovenia. We will have a car.

On my list of stuff to see is Ljublana, the seaside town Piran (with
a visit to nearby Trieste), the Postojna and Skocjan caves, lake Bled,
the scenic areas Tolminska Korita and Logarska Dolina, and the old
town of Ptuj.

With the exception of Ptuj, these are all situated in western Slovenia.
Doesn't the East have any historic sights or scenic drives?

At the moment I'm looking at 4 nights near Ljublana and one night in
Maribor/Ptuj. Is that reasonable divisions, given the attractions of
the country?

You appear to have covered most of Slovenia's highlights!

My "extra / alternative" suggestions (time permitting) would include :-
Porec (Croatia) - Euphrasian Basilica (UNESCO)

Croatia is off limits, unfortunately.

Lake Bohinj (via Bled)

I forgot to mention that one as part of the Bled expedition.

Maribor (much nicer than Ljubljana!) - leave motorway, drive over Pohorje
massif, then Maribor and on to Ptuj.

Looks like one night in Maribor, atm. Do you know the route numbers for
the road?

Ljubljana looked nice in the guidebook?

Instead of 4 nights near Ljubljana, have you considered staying on Tourist
Farms, nearer to each location?

The distances are pretty small, with the two motorways going close to
most of the sites. Not changing hotels everyday makes for a more relaxed
trip and gives a bit of flexibility.

Ljubljana is definitely the highlight of the country, with a picturesque
centre, walk-up castle, some late 19th century buildings, market....
And you should stay in it in order to walk around at night as well as
day. But it is a small town, so 3 days is certainly enough. Maribor
didn't seem that interesting compared to Ljubljana and Ptuj. (Again:
have a night in Ptuj to walk around.)

You will want to see more, but you seem to have the highlights.

--
---
Sheila Page
Old July 5th, 2011, 09:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

On 2011-06-30, Gerald Oliver Swift wrote:

Maribor (much nicer than Ljubljana!) - leave motorway, drive over Pohorje
massif, then Maribor and on to Ptuj.

Looks like one night in Maribor, atm. Do you know the route numbers for
the road?

Exit A1 (E57) near Tepanje to join road 430. Follow road 701 over the
Pohorje massif (Rogla ski resort is at the summit), then descend to join
road 1 and continue into Maribor. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogla

Got it. Thanks.
Old July 5th, 2011, 09:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

On 2011-06-30, Gerald Oliver Swift wrote:

Instead of 4 nights near Ljubljana, have you considered staying on Tourist
Farms, nearer to each location?

The distances are pretty small, with the two motorways going close to
most of the sites. Not changing hotels everyday makes for a more relaxed
trip and gives a bit of flexibility.

Ljubljana is definitely the highlight of the country, with a picturesque
centre, walk-up castle, some late 19th century buildings, market....
And you should stay in it in order to walk around at night as well as
day. But it is a small town, so 3 days is certainly enough.

We're not spending 3 days in Ljubljana, as such. Being where the country's
two motorways meet, makes it a convenient base for exploring. I've chosen
our hotel with an eye towards easy access.
Old July 6th, 2011, 06:17 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge 128

Surely martin has something to type about, he must have been there 30 years
ago

"David Horne" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :

Jesper Lauridsen wrote:

Planning a SUN-SAT (6 nights) trip to Slovenia, using Munich as the
gateway. Both flights are early in the day, so the final night will
be near the airport, leaving 5 nights in Slovenia. We will have a car.

On my list of stuff to see is Ljublana, the seaside town Piran (with
a visit to nearby Trieste), the Postojna and Skocjan caves, lake Bled,
the scenic areas Tolminska Korita and Logarska Dolina, and the old
town of Ptuj.

Between Piran and Trieste, Koper is worth a visit. It's not as
immediately attractive as Piran given the large port, but has some very
impressive Venetian palaces, and it's worth climbing the cathedral's
bell tower.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)

Old July 6th, 2011, 07:30 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Runge 128 wrote:

Surely martin has something to type about,

Clearly you don't. Buzz off.

Old July 6th, 2011, 08:04 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

:

On 2011-06-30, Gerald Oliver Swift wrote:

Maribor (much nicer than Ljubljana!) - leave motorway, drive over Pohorje
massif, then Maribor and on to Ptuj.

Looks like one night in Maribor, atm. Do you know the route numbers for
the road?

Exit A1 (E57) near Tepanje to join road 430. Follow road 701 over the
Pohorje massif (Rogla ski resort is at the summit), then descend to join
road 1 and continue into Maribor. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogla

Got it. Thanks.

I can recommend Ptuj. It's small but has a nice castle and old town.

--
Tim C.
You know, somebody actually complimented me on my driving today.
Old July 6th, 2011, 08:55 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne[_2_]

Martin wrote:

On Wed, 6 Jul 2011 07:30:57 +0100, (David Horne,
_the_ chancellor (*)) wrote:

Runge 128 wrote:

Surely martin has something to type about,

Clearly you don't. Buzz off.

Trot off piggy!

Old July 6th, 2011, 04:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
irwell

On Wed, 6 Jul 2011 07:30:57 +0100, vid Horne, _the_
chancellor wrote:

Runge 128 wrote:

Surely martin has something to type about,

Clearly you don't. Buzz off.

Runge needs to change his pantie liners.
Old July 11th, 2011, 11:38 AM
bizflats bizflats is offline
Member

Thats a great story...i like it..