Schengen question.

Old May 24th, 2009, 10:26 PM posted to rec.travel.misc
J[_4_]

Default Schengen question.

Last fall, we planned a 3 month stay in Germany. I booked our travel
(106 days) and then found out about the 90 day limit without a visa.
We wanted to do some other traveling anyway, so we figured instead of
dealing with the visas, let's just spend 16 days outside of Schengen.
We decided to spend 6 days in Switzerland and 10 days in Bulgaria
(where my family was from). Problem settled.

Everything's set, we're closing in on 90 days, and and as we're
crossing to Switzerland on the train, there's no one to put any kind
of stamp in our passport. Today we find out the reason is that
Switzerland went and joined Schengen in December '08!

All of our travel and lodging is booked. We're looking forward to our
stay in Bulgaria, then returning for 2 nights to Germany before flying
back to the US.

But... Since Switzerland is now Schengen, on the day we leave for
Bulgaria, we will have been in Schengen for 94 days (4 days over the
limit). What will happen? Especially, when we try to come back to
Germany to get our flight home? Will they let us back into the
country?

What should we do now? Re-arranging flights and canceling
reservations will be extra expense, and a lot of trouble - but not as
much trouble as not being able to get back to Germany, get most of our
luggage (which we plan to leave in Germany), and get our flight home.

-J