SW Colorado Question

Old January 20th, 2007, 02:12 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Norm Dion

Default SW Colorado Question

I'll be touring SW Colorado in mid April and need to know which is the more
scenic/interesting drive:

Dolores to Telluride on Hwy 145, or
Durango to Ouray on Hwy 550.

I can't do both.

TIA

Old January 20th, 2007, 04:35 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Steve Cain

Might suggest google for sights on the two highways. The 550 is also known
as the "Million Dollar Highway" between Durango and Ouray. The road gets
its name from a stretch just south of Ouray.......
regards, s
. ..

Old January 21st, 2007, 04:54 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Norm Dion wrote:
I'll be touring SW Colorado in mid April and need to know which is the more
scenic/interesting drive:

Dolores to Telluride on Hwy 145, or
Durango to Ouray on Hwy 550.

I can't do both.

TIA

I would say take Hwy 550. The drive is ultra
scenic. Ouray is beautiful and not the victim
of so much ski development as Telluride.
Check out Box Canyon on 550 just south of Ouray.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 05:04 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Alohacyberian

"Norm Dion" wrote in message
. ..
I'll be touring SW Colorado in mid April and need to know which is the
more scenic/interesting drive:

Dolores to Telluride on Hwy 145, or
Durango to Ouray on Hwy 550.

My pick would be Highway 550 from Durango to Telluride where the scenery is
spectacular and Ouray is charming. The scenery in Telluride is also good,
but, the drive not as nice. Naturally, Telluride is more touristy. KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website view over 3,600 live cameras or
visit NASA, the Vatican, the Smithsonian, the Louvre, CIA, FBI, and

Old January 23rd, 2007, 03:13 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Anonymous[_1_]

If you take 550, do stop in Silverton.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 03:21 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
James Silverton

Anonymous said "If you take 550, do stop in Silverton."

I suppose, given my name I could not be called an unbiased
source, but a day trip from Durango to Silverton by the steam
train is well worth it, IMHO.

--
James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old January 23rd, 2007, 03:33 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Doug McDonald

James Silverton wrote:
Anonymous said "If you take 550, do stop in Silverton."

I suppose, given my name I could not be called an unbiased source, but a
day trip from Durango to Silverton by the steam train is well worth it,
IMHO.

Yes, this is one tourist trap that is well worth doing. Even better
is getting off in the middle of the train ride and doing some hiking,
such as a visit to Chicago Basin.

Doug McDonald
Old January 24th, 2007, 03:14 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Anonymous[_1_]

I totally agree that the train ride from Durango to Silverton is
fabulous.

Too bad they don't offer a service to ferry cars from Durango to
Silverton. That way people who are short on time don't have to return
to Durango to pick up their cars.
Old January 25th, 2007, 12:42 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

I totally agree that the train ride from Durango to Silverton is
fabulous.

Too bad they don't offer a service to ferry cars from Durango to
Silverton. That way people who are short on time don't have to return
to Durango to pick up their cars.

They do, however, offer the option of a trip one way by train and the
other way by bus. The train takes over 3 hours one way; I think the bus
takes about an hour, although their web site http://www.durangotrain.com
doesn't seem to say.

By the way, the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, a similar operation
that runs from Chama NM to Antonito CO, also has a bus-one-way option;
their train trip is even longer, 6 hours including a lunch stop, so
you need the bus to do the round trip in a day. This route is also
highly scenic; their web site is http://www.cumbrestoltec.com .
--
Mark Brader, Toronto It's all Henry's fault.
-- Geoff Collyer