Grand Western Loop - ideas?

Old June 18th, 2012, 11:27 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

Default Grand Western Loop - ideas?

"Dan Stephenson" wrote in message
I like beauty drives, fun drives, mountains and lakes.

Have you encountered some place along this general path, that was
pecularly regrettable? Such as someplace usually dangerous or otherwise a
place to avoid?

Looks like THIS was a spot to avoid:
http://web.mac.com/stepheda/Western_...y_2012.html#19

Old June 18th, 2012, 11:32 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

http://web.mac.com/stepheda/Western_..._May_2012.html

Index on top shows:
Day 16, 31 May 2012
when I click it

Text/photos show:
Day 16, 27 May 2012 - 4365 trip miles (47096 miles total)

same for other dates . not knocking it - just an FYI.
Enjoying the trip so far.

"Dan Stephenson" wrote in message
At some point I intend to make a grand western loop road trip. A length
scenic drive. I have the scenic driving books for California, Montana,
Wyoming and Colorado, but ask if there is some particularly spectacular
place I should definitely see along my route?

I'm driving generally westward along I-10 to Los Angeles, north along the
Pacific Coast Highway to the Olympic Penninsula of Washing State, east
across the North Cascades National Park and on into Montana and Glacier
National Park, then south through Wyoming and Yellowstone / Grand Teton,
then south through Colorado (which I've visited quite a bit already).

I like beauty drives, fun drives, mountains and lakes.

Have you encountered some place along this general path, that was
pecularly regrettable? Such as someplace usually dangerous or otherwise a
place to avoid?

Thanks, please post!
--
Dan Stephenson
http://web.mac.com/stepheda

Old June 19th, 2012, 02:28 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dan Stephenson

On 2012-06-18 17:27:44 -0500, - Bobb - said:

"Dan Stephenson" wrote in message
I like beauty drives, fun drives, mountains and lakes.

Have you encountered some place along this general path, that was
pecularly regrettable? Such as someplace usually dangerous or
otherwise a place to avoid?

Looks like THIS was a spot to avoid:
http://web.mac.com/stepheda/Western_...y_2012.html#19

Heh that is true. This was the drove north out of Santa Cruz. I also
drove through Seattle at rush hour (sigh) to go to Edmonds to see if
Rick Steves was at his shop for a visit and a thank-you (he wasn't).

I was able to avoid bad Los Angeles traffic.

The drove over the Mojave Desert was unpleasant, but unavoidable to
reach the Pacific Coast Highway from Las Vegas. Another unavoidable
and most miserable drove was driving home from Amarillo on highway 287.
A bunch of nother, interspersed with small towns and speed traps.
Before the town of Electra was a huge billboard: "WARNING ELECTRA IS A
SPEED TRAP" or something to that effect.

I generally did not encouter seedy areas, fortunately.

Old June 19th, 2012, 02:33 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dan Stephenson

On 2012-06-18 17:32:39 -0500, - Bobb - said:

http://web.mac.com/stepheda/Western_..._May_2012.html

Index on top shows:
Day 16, 31 May 2012
when I click it

Text/photos show:
Day 16, 27 May 2012 - 4365 trip miles (47096 miles total)

same for other dates . not knocking it - just an FYI.
Enjoying the trip so far.

Thanks

Sometimes I would copy and paste text from an old day, and change the
data, in order to maintain a consistent format. Looks like I need to
update the text.

ok, done

One, uh, word to the wise for anyone else contemplating a trip like
this. Consider how much coffee or water you are drinking, and how
desolate the place you may be driving through. And when you fill up
gas, don't actually fill up, leave a little to give yourself an excuse
to stop at a gas station and use their facilities as a paying customer.
Just saying.