Trip across asia - includin indonesia malaysia singapore and thailand

Old May 21st, 2006, 08:12 PM posted to rec.travel.asia

Default Trip across asia - includin indonesia malaysia singapore and thailand

This is a long post guys - be warned.

i recently decided to doing a trip across some of asia during a span of 2
weeks. now before ppl tell me its too short a period of time please
understand i dont get alot of vacation. i keep track of posts on this site
and find it alot more useful than some articles on the net.

this is my itenerary so far.
I plan to visit Jakarta from Canada for a day. I dont know the best way to
get from Jakarta to Java to climb Mt Merapi (assuming it doesnt explode!!).
i'd like to know the names of a couple of trekking agencies that do the
peaks of these mountains without doing 21day or 6 day treks. i dont have the
time. perhaps 1-2 days max.
After that i plan on going to Bali for some beginner scuba diving thing for
a day. Does anyone have any recommendations on this?

After that hopefully a day visiting Singapore and a day in malaysia followed
by a few days in Thailand visiting Phuket ( i saw some pretty good trips on
http://www.phuket-travel.com/water_a...ge=rafting.htm but if
anyone has recommendations im more than willing to check it out) then
Bangkok before flying back to Toronto.

What do you think? doable or too hectic?

Cheers

Old May 21st, 2006, 09:29 PM posted to rec.travel.asia

"What do you think? doable or too hectic?"

If it was my trip, I would personally think that it was too hectic, and
with only two weeks choose one of Thailand, Malaysia/Singapore, or
Indonesia, not all three. But you have different ideas on how to
travel, and I respect that.

Assuming you want to visit lots of places, you should look at discount
airlines like "Air Asia" and "Bangkok Airways" that have dirt-cheap
flights in the area you are considering. If you try to visit several
of those places without flying constantly, you would have a hard time
doing anything more than travelling from place to place - transport by
land and water can be very slow in southeast asia.

BTW, some Thai islands have excellent scuba diving (like Koh Tao), and
there are lots of trekking options in Northern Thailand around Chiang
Mai and Chiang Rai. Spending 4 days in Chiang Mai including a trek, 4
days in and around Bangkok (you could see the Bridge on the River Kwai
or the Ayuthaya ruins), and 4 days on Koh Tao including diving would
include most of what you wanted to do, and would be much more
manageable travelwise.

Old May 21st, 2006, 10:25 PM posted to rec.travel.asia

In article , hitman247
@hotmail.com says...
[...]

Yes, in theory doable, but you will have to fly between destinations.
Also, you need to plan in advance exactly your schedule, where you will
be on each day, as you have to optimise the time.

You might skip Jakarta as there is not that much to see there. There is
no point doing a one-day beginner scuba dive course, as on the first day
you will just do some exercises and not do any dives at all. Also, it's
no point to hop from Mt. Merapi to Bali for just one day. You'll need at
least a couple of days to get an idea of what Bali is.

By the way, if you visit Java, you should visit the Borobudur site.

A day in Singapore is ok, but it would be better to stay two or three
days. A day in Malaysia is nothing - you'll only be able to see one
place.

I wouldn't spend several days in Phuket, as the place is too developed
and there are much nicer beaches and islands in southern Thailand (Rai
Leh/Krabi on the western coast, Koh Samui on the eastern coast).
--

Alfred Molon
Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:07 AM posted to rec.travel.asia

Climbing Merapi doesn't take a 21 day or 6 day trek. First of all I wouldn't
recommend climbing it at the moment, you must be aware that it is spewing
out lava and gases and is dangerous.

If you are determined to climb it, you have two main options, the usual is
from Kaliurang which is south of the volcano or from Selo to the north. Most
non-Indonesians climb it from Kaliurang with a guide from Vogels Hostel. I
suspect that Christian, at Vogels, who organises treks from Kaliurang will
not organise treks up Merapi at the moment, although he may have some treks
on the lower south eastern slopes.

The route from Selo is straight forward just follow the path upwards, but is
still dangerous and should not be undertaken at the moment. I did it several
years ago when it was quiet. I stayed the night at Selo, got up just before
sunrise walked up Merapi alone and was back down to Selo by late afternoon.
The next day I was told by a colleague that eight of his friends had gone up
Merapi from Selo and that near the summit they were enveloped in toxic gases
and five of them died. So it can be dangerous even when not erupting.

Your plan to visit 4 South East Asian countries in 2 weeks is as dumb as
your idea of climbing Merapi at the moment.

Selamat Jalan,

Pete Loud
Maps of Indonesia etc. etc.
www.peteloud.co.uk/

Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:21 AM posted to rec.travel.asia

G wrote:
This is a long post guys - be warned.

Where's the rest of it?

i recently decided to doing a trip across some of asia during a span of 2
weeks. now before ppl tell me its too short a period of time please
understand i dont get alot of vacation. i keep track of posts on this site
and find it alot more useful than some articles on the net.

this is my itenerary so far.
I plan to visit Jakarta from Canada for a day. I dont know the best way to
get from Jakarta to Java to climb Mt Merapi (assuming it doesnt explode!!).
i'd like to know the names of a couple of trekking agencies that do the
peaks of these mountains without doing 21day or 6 day treks. i dont have the
time. perhaps 1-2 days max.

Jakarta is uninteresting. Seriously. It's ok if you live in Indonesia,
maybe you can visit the local theme park, but otherwise just forget it.
Fly into Jakarta from Canada, with a connection onto Surabaya or
Yogyakarta. Then you should visit Mount Bromo (visiting Mount Merapi is
lunatic). A very short schedule might be:

Day 1: arrive from Canada in Jakarta, fly directly on to Yogyakarta,
visiting the Sultan's palace
Day 2: charter a bus to Borobodur (not too far), and in the evening
onto Mount Bromo. Not sure about current prices for this. My guess is
about $60 for the trip.
Day 3: at sunrise head up to see the view, in the day take a horse up
the mountain
Day 4: head to Surabaya and fly Surabaya - Denpasar, in the morning.
Drive to Ubud.
Day 5: After full day in Ubud, head to Kuta or nicer southern beach
resort in the evening
Day 6: spend on the beach
Day 7: Fly Denpasar - Singapore. Visit Singapore zoo for the night
safari.
Day 8: Fly to Singapore - KL in the evening
Day 9: Visit botanical gardens in KL, go shopping, go up KL Tower, get
something to eat in Chinatown
Day 10: Fly to Phuket and do whatever
Day 12: Head to Bangkok
Day 14: Return from Bangkok

You will be blowing a lot of money on flights. If you are cash rich,
time poor this might not be a problem. I would not bother with the
day's scuba, why not stay and do a proper course?

You could sensibly cut Malaysia out entirely. Although Singapore is not
the most exciting place in the world, it's not a bad stopover, as you
can do a reasonable visit in a couple of days. The flight from Jakarta
to central Java is a cheap one, as is Surabaya - Denpasar.

After that i plan on going to Bali for some beginner scuba diving thing for
a day. Does anyone have any recommendations on this?

After that hopefully a day visiting Singapore and a day in malaysia followed
by a few days in Thailand visiting Phuket ( i saw some pretty good trips on
http://www.phuket-travel.com/water_a...ge=rafting.htm but if
anyone has recommendations im more than willing to check it out) then
Bangkok before flying back to Toronto.

What do you think? doable or too hectic?

Make sure you buy a South East Asia guidebook and get yourself
informed. You can have more fun for less money by staying in one
country and just moving on when you feel like it without having a
totally planned itinerary. Half the fun is just being somewhere
different.

Old May 22nd, 2006, 11:28 AM posted to rec.travel.asia

I guess your suggestions are reasonable for someone trying to see Indonesia,
Singapore Malaysia and Thailand in 2 weeks but I think two weeks in
Guantanamo Resort might be more relaxing.

Cheers,

Pete Loud
Maps of Indonesia etc. etc. (Oh, and some photos :-)
www.peteloud.co.uk/

"Matthew Brealey" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old May 22nd, 2006, 03:11 PM posted to rec.travel.asia

G wrote:

This is a long post guys - be warned.

i recently decided to doing a trip across some of asia during a span of 2
weeks. now before ppl tell me its too short a period of time please
understand i dont get alot of vacation. i keep track of posts on this site
and find it alot more useful than some articles on the net.

this is my itenerary so far.
I plan to visit Jakarta from Canada for a day. I dont know the best way to
get from Jakarta to Java to climb Mt Merapi (assuming it doesnt explode!!).
i'd like to know the names of a couple of trekking agencies that do the
peaks of these mountains without doing 21day or 6 day treks. i dont have the
time. perhaps 1-2 days max.
After that i plan on going to Bali for some beginner scuba diving thing for
a day. Does anyone have any recommendations on this?

I'll refrain from commenting on the rest of yout itinerary since you
don't want to be told your planning to do too much, but do bear in mind
that you are not allowed to fly right after scub diving. At minimum you
need to allow 12 hours between your dive and flying, but it wpould be
safer to allow 24 hrs.
Anita

After that hopefully a day visiting Singapore and a day in malaysia followed
by a few days in Thailand visiting Phuket ( i saw some pretty good trips on
http://www.phuket-travel.com/water_a...ge=rafting.htm but if
anyone has recommendations im more than willing to check it out) then
Bangkok before flying back to Toronto.

What do you think? doable or too hectic?

Cheers

Dr Anita Malhotra e-mail:
School of Biological Sciences Tel(direct line): + 44 1248 383735
University of Wales Bangor Fax: + 44 1248 371644
Gwynedd LL57 2UW
United Kingdom
Old May 22nd, 2006, 05:58 PM posted to rec.travel.asia

pete,

while i do understand that you might find my itinerary too hectic, you
really dont have to be mean about it. i am totally open to your suggestions
as well as anyone else as to how i could change it - maybe even based on ure
personal experiences with the surrounding volcanoes in the area. i am fully
aware alot of the volcanoes do not need more than 1-2 days to climb but the
deals i was researching online all seem to group the volcano trips together
and didnt offer me an option to break it down to a specific trek, etc. i am
emailing the trek companies personally to inquire if they do offer this
option.

based on what ppl are saying, perhaps visiting singapore can be dropped from
the list as well as spending time in jakarta to make it less strenuous. the
plan is not fixed and keep in mind i am looking at travelling in november
06.

i am against travelling up mt bromo simply because it seems a bit
unstrenuous for me. i tend to get bored easily so something that challenges
me physically would be more suitable. i am well aware of mt merapi's
condition - that is why i was half joking earlier about it exploding in my
OP.

regards

Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:23 PM posted to rec.travel.asia

Hi Garreth,

Your best bet is to scrub, Thailand, scrub Malaysia, fly to direct
Singapore, then to Bali, have a couple of good days in Bali, fly over to
Lombok, walk up Rinjani from the north side, then down to Gili Air to allow
your rubber legs to regain their natural state. Go back to Bali have a
couple of days there, then fly to Yogya for the culture bit, have a couple
of days there then back to Singapore. Have a few beers at The Boat Quay then
fly home.

Cheers,

Pete
Maps of Indonesia etc. etc. (Oh, and some photos :-)
www.peteloud.co.uk/indonesia
www.peteloud.co.uk/photos/

Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:37 PM posted to rec.travel.asia

"based on what ppl are saying, perhaps visiting singapore can be
dropped from the list as well as spending time in jakarta to make it
less strenuous. the plan is not fixed and keep in mind i am looking at
travelling in november 06."

Assuming you will be flying from place to place:

Bangkok (3 days)
Chiang Mai and a 2-day 1-night trek that includes rafting (1+2 days)
Chiang Mai to Yogyakarta (multiple flights, 1 day total travel time)
Yogyakarta as a base, with day trips to Borobodur and Prambanan, and a
volcano climb (3-4 days)
Bali (3-4 days)

Rushed, but doable.