Travelling in New Zealand.

Old October 23rd, 2006, 10:31 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Hawkins

Default Travelling in New Zealand.

We (my wife and me) are making plans to travel around in New Zealand with a
camper.
We are intended to start from Aukland for a 6 weeks travel (3 weeks in the
northern part and 3 weeks in the southern island).
If we start our trip on the 15th of february ..... is the weather still good
in the northern part?
And we were told that there is a possibility that "flies" can bother our
stay ( march) in the southern part.

Can someone give us some advice

Thanks in advance
Chris

Old October 23rd, 2006, 11:13 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Alan S[_1_]

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 21:31:52 GMT, "Hawkins"
wrote:

We (my wife and me) are making plans to travel around in New Zealand with a
camper.
We are intended to start from Aukland for a 6 weeks travel (3 weeks in the
northern part and 3 weeks in the southern island).
If we start our trip on the 15th of february ..... is the weather still good
in the northern part?
And we were told that there is a possibility that "flies" can bother our
stay ( march) in the southern part.

Can someone give us some advice

Thanks in advance
Chris

We spent 8 days in the North Island 10-19 February this year
wandering from Auckland to Wellington by car. The only
problem with the weather was that Air Conditioning was not
standard in the motel rooms and the first few days in
Auckland were rather hot and steamy.

Generally it was fine, warm and clear during that week.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Tarascon - Chateau du Roi Rene
Old October 24th, 2006, 11:05 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Ralph Fox

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 21:31:52 GMT, in message ,
Hawkins wrote:

We (my wife and me) are making plans to travel around in New Zealand with a
camper.
We are intended to start from Aukland for a 6 weeks travel (3 weeks in the
northern part and 3 weeks in the southern island).
If we start our trip on the 15th of february ..... is the weather still good
in the northern part?

Typically, yes, and the good weather starts with February. But there
are no guarantees, and NZ's climate can vary from one year to another.
In 2004, for example, there were floods in the second half of February.

Monthly sunshine hours: http://www.niwascience.co.nz/edu/res...mate/sunshine/
Monthly rainfall figures: http://www.niwascience.co.nz/edu/res...mate/meanrain/

And we were told that there is a possibility that "flies" can bother our
stay ( march) in the southern part.

That will be "sandflies" -- about the size of a pinhead, and they are
after your blood.
• They are only present in some parts of the country (generally
the most scenic parts).
• A brisk walk will keep them at bay. But stop for even one second
in a place with sandflies, and you're lunchmeat.
• They go away at night (unlike mosquitoes).
More information on sandflies
http://www.wildwalks.co.nz/sand_flies.htm
http://www.teara.govt.nz/1966/S/Sandflies/Sandflies/en

Can someone give us some advice

Thanks in advance
Chris

--
Cheers,
Ralph

Old November 1st, 2006, 09:14 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Martin Hunt

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 10:05:43 +0000, Ralph Fox wrote:

And we were told that there is a possibility that "flies" can bother our
stay ( march) in the southern part.

That will be "sandflies" -- about the size of a pinhead, and they are
after your blood.
• They are only present in some parts of the country (generally
the most scenic parts).
• A brisk walk will keep them at bay. But stop for even one second
in a place with sandflies, and you're lunchmeat.
• They go away at night (unlike mosquitoes).
More information on sandflies
http://www.wildwalks.co.nz/sand_flies.htm
http://www.teara.govt.nz/1966/S/Sandflies/Sandflies/en

You can use insect repellent, which you can buy here. They come in
several strengths, rated according to the amount of DEET (the active
ingredient) they contain. You will find that if you miss a small bit
of skin, a sandfly is sure to find it. Fiordland is notorious for
them, and the sandflies there are 10 times the normal size.
But don't let that put you off. The scenery is well worth a little bit
of discomfort, and the repellent and other precautions should keep
them at bay. They don't drink that much, so you shouldn't come to too
much harm!

Can someone give us some advice

Thanks in advance
Chris

--
Martin Hunt
Ngaio
Wellington
New Zealand
Old November 1st, 2006, 10:03 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Ralph Fox

On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 22:14:59 +1300, in message ,
Martin Hunt wrote:

You can use insect repellent, which you can buy here. They come in
several strengths, rated according to the amount of DEET (the active
ingredient) they contain. You will find that if you miss a small bit
of skin, a sandfly is sure to find it. Fiordland is notorious for
them, and the sandflies there are 10 times the normal size.
But don't let that put you off. The scenery is well worth a little bit
of discomfort, and the repellent and other precautions should keep
them at bay. They don't drink that much, so you shouldn't come to too
much harm!

If they do bite, wipe/roll them off -- don't slap them.
The bites hurt ten times as much if you slap them.