how reliable TGV timetable from Avignon for airport departures

Old May 9th, 2004, 11:45 AM
trk

Default how reliable TGV timetable from Avignon for airport departures

Hi,
At the end of our trip to France, we are planning to return to CDG airport
by TGV from Avignon at 8am and catch the plane home about 3 hours after the
scheduled arrival time of the TGV at CDG airport.

Is this feasible or should we plan on a day earlier "just to make sure"

Would appreciate any coment

Thanks
Trevor
Perth
Western Australia

Old May 9th, 2004, 01:30 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Since accidents on the line or major works can result in significant
delays, unless your return is flexible, I would opt for the "day
earlier". Missing your flight is unlikely but can be a major mess.

Old May 9th, 2004, 03:18 PM
R J Carpenter

"trk" wrote in message
Hi,
At the end of our trip to France, we are planning to return to CDG airport
by TGV from Avignon at 8am and catch the plane home about 3 hours after

the
scheduled arrival time of the TGV at CDG airport.

Is this feasible or should we plan on a day earlier "just to make sure"

I'm a 100% card-carrying pessimist. French railways keep to schedule very
well - except when there's the infrequent breakdown or there's a strike.

If ___I___ were catching a plane to Oz from CDG, I wouldn't trust __any__
form of public transportation with only 3 hour to spare.

You asked, I spoke.

bob c.

Old May 9th, 2004, 03:27 PM
jcoulter

"trk" wrote in
:

Hi,
At the end of our trip to France, we are planning to return to CDG
airport by TGV from Avignon at 8am and catch the plane home about 3
hours after the scheduled arrival time of the TGV at CDG airport.

Is this feasible or should we plan on a day earlier "just to make
sure"

Would appreciate any coment

Thanks
Trevor
Perth
Western Australia

You will be able to make it on any given day, your best protection would be
if the trip is in conjunction with an airticket (air france and it's
partners offer such) but I would think given the length of your plane trip
that starting from Paris on the day of travel might be a better idea.
Old May 10th, 2004, 07:52 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Hi,
At the end of our trip to France, we are planning to return to CDG airport
by TGV from Avignon at 8am and catch the plane home about 3 hours after

the
scheduled arrival time of the TGV at CDG airport.

Is this feasible or should we plan on a day earlier "just to make sure"

I've taken the TGV a number of times and it's always run on schedule (both
leaving and arriving), and, were it me, I wouldn't hesitate to do so with a
3-hour layover at CDG. Keep in mind that the train station is in the
airport, and there's no transfer involved, just a straight run from Avignon
to CDG. Sure, something *could* happen, but is it really any more likely
than on an airplane?

I'd say go for the 3-hour connection, but have a plan-b ready, just in case.
Plan-b would involve having to take another flight the next day and staying
at a hotel near the airport. Just check and make sure rooms are available
on-line shortly before you go. If you get stuck, you'll have at least part
of a day that you can spend in Paris (just take the RER into the city).

For what it's worth, I missed a flight out of CDG two years ago, due to my
shuttle arriving late at the hotel *and* such severe smog that they mandated
lower speeds on the freeway. I got out the next day, and there was no
re-ticketing fee involved.

Just my opinion; you need to do what's comfortable for you.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old May 10th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

Hi,
At the end of our trip to France, we are planning to return to CDG airport
by TGV from Avignon at 8am and catch the plane home about 3 hours after
the scheduled arrival time of the TGV at CDG airport.

Is this feasible or should we plan on a day earlier "just to make sure"

I've taken the TGV a number of times and it's always run on schedule (both
leaving and arriving), and, were it me, I wouldn't hesitate to do so with a
3-hour layover at CDG. Keep in mind that the train station is in the
airport, and there's no transfer involved, just a straight run from Avignon
to CDG. Sure, something *could* happen, but is it really any more likely
than on an airplane?

Not more likely but still something to avoid. I wouldn't fly in with a
3 hour change if it was not on a continuing ticket. With the
limitations on tickets that you find today the risk is simply too high.
In the discussion you will find the comment that it's not a problem if
the ticket can be changed. However, it probably can be difficult. It
can also be difficult if you are a day late for work.

Old May 10th, 2004, 02:56 PM
jcoulter

"trk" wrote in
:

Hi,
At the end of our trip to France, we are planning to return to CDG
airport by TGV from Avignon at 8am and catch the plane home about 3
hours after the scheduled arrival time of the TGV at CDG airport.

Is this feasible or should we plan on a day earlier "just to make
sure"

Would appreciate any coment

Thanks
Trevor
Perth
Western Australia

I know I have chimed in already, but in thinking it over I would never do
what you are contemplating. One should as a rule never include mixed
reservation travel on the same day, It is just too risky, Not on the usual
case days where it is fine, but one bad experience is enough for a long
time. that and three hours at CDG is not really enough buffer. On an
average day check in to boarding at CDG has resulted in no time for
shopping or eating. The lines just move that slowly. On the other hand if
your travel insurance will insure a 3 hour layover then you will get home
without additional expense and I would do it for the convenience.

Have you thought of flying out of Marseille or Nice? That way you could be
on an ongoint ticket and travel interuption by delayed flights could be
covered by the airline.
Old May 10th, 2004, 09:08 PM
poldy

I once took the TGV from Paris to Nice. I don't think it was less than
what I would have paid for the flight. So for about the same money, it
took 8-9 hours rather than 1 hour.

Some parts of the journey had nice scenery, particularly the portions
along the coast near St. Tropez. But was the rest of it worth the time?
Old May 10th, 2004, 10:22 PM
trk

Hi,
Thanks for all the advice
We have decided to return to Paris a day earlier and have one more night in
our favourite city before returning home.
It should remove any possible stress that we certainly do not want at the
end of our holiday.
Regards
Trevor
Perth
Western Australia

Old May 11th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Mark Fagan

I have found the TGV departs EXACTLY on time, unless of course there's a
problem (or strike). But the norm is to leave when the schedule says so. I
made the train to Lyon by the skin of my teeth, having JUST enough time to
change my ticket to the earlier train and avoid a 3 hour wait. I had to run
down the escalator and jump on at the last second.