Places that speak English

Old October 13th, 2003, 03:10 AM
VacuumHead

Default Places that speak English

Besides Belize, in what other parts of the Caribbean and Latin/South
America is the English language commonly spoken? Same for Europe also
please. Thank you.

2
Old October 13th, 2003, 03:33 AM
Charles

In article ,
VacuumHead wrote:

Besides Belize, in what other parts of the Caribbean and Latin/South
America is the English language commonly spoken? Same for Europe also
please. Thank you.

When you say commonly do you mean as a first language? These---

In Caribbean; Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Barbados, Trinidad, US Virgin
Islands, British Virgin Islands, Antigua, Grenada, Anguilla, Dominica,
St. Lucia, St. Vincent.....

South America; Guyana

Europe: United Kingdom, Ireland, Malta

English is also commonly spoken as a second language in a lot of places.

--
Charles
Old October 13th, 2003, 03:42 AM
Tom & Linda

Partial list...

Jamaica
Cayman I's
Trinidad
Antigua
Barbados
USVI
BVI
Key West vbg
Half of Miami (vbg)
Bermuda (though it's neither Caribbean or Europe)
Falkland I's
A good percent of people in Puerto Rico and Cozumel
You will find most taxi drivers and tourist support people in most
islands (except for a few places like Martinique) will speak English
very well.

British Isles (of course)
Switzerland
Iceland??
Lots of people in Germany and Italy

--Tom

Old October 13th, 2003, 03:59 AM

English is commonly spoken throughout the region.

English is the official language language of Jamaica, US & British
Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Bahamas,St. Vincent & the Grenadines,
Grenada, Barbados, Domenica Montserrat,Angullia. Antigua,Triinidad &
Tobago, St Kitts, Nevis, Guyana and numerous smaller islands.

Inspector Gadget

Old October 13th, 2003, 04:03 AM

In Europe English is the offical lanuage of England Scotland, Wales,
Ireland, Gibralter, Malta, but is quite commonly understood throught the
tourism world.

Inspector Gadget

Old October 13th, 2003, 01:11 PM
VacuumHead

Can you give me a list of the second language places (ESL)--Europe and
Caribbean again please. Is English spoken in Brazil--specifically Rio,
Recife, Porto Alegre, Salvador? Thanks again.

Old October 13th, 2003, 01:37 PM
Karen Selwyn

VacuumHead wrote:
Can you give me a list of the second language places (ESL)--Europe and
Caribbean again please. Is English spoken in Brazil--specifically Rio,
Recife, Porto Alegre, Salvador? Thanks again.

Of course English is spoken by many people in the tourism industry in
the places you have listed. Precisely what is it you're trying to find
out? Whether or not you can visit tourist sites with no language other
than English or whether you can visit independently for an extended
period of time with English only?

Karen Selwyn

Old October 13th, 2003, 01:46 PM
Charles

In article ,
VacuumHead wrote:

Can you give me a list of the second language places (ESL)--Europe and
Caribbean again please. Is English spoken in Brazil--specifically Rio,
Recife, Porto Alegre, Salvador? Thanks again.

I would say you can't really make a list of second language places. A
lot of people in the Caribbean speak English because of it's proximity
to the United States. I can't think of any port I have been to on a
cruise in the Caribbean where if English was not the first language,
that knowledge of English was not common.

As for Brazil---They speak Portuguese. I have not been there but I
would guess English is not that common. I ran into a group of 400
Brazilians on a seven day cruise in the Carribbean and never found one
who spoke English. There were seperate announcements in Portuguese and
Portugusese menus for the Brazilians in the dining room.

--
Charles
Old October 13th, 2003, 01:51 PM
villa deauville

I also believe Air Traffic Controllers all over the world use English.to
keep in touch with the pilots

SUNNY.........does not care to fly except on her broom

S'nd I