Edinburgh or Dublin Day trip from London?

Old April 15th, 2005, 03:53 AM
Kevin

Default Edinburgh or Dublin Day trip from London?

Is it practical to daytrip to Dublin by air taking an early morning flight
out and an evening flight back?

I know day trips to Edinburgh can be done by air and train and maybe coach.
Air will be faster, but will the time going to airports remove the time
savings?
Is a day trip to Edinburgh any more difficult than a day trip to Paris via
Eurostar?

Any recommended coach or train tour companies to Edinburgh?

Old April 15th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Derek F

"Kevin" wrote in message
Is it practical to daytrip to Dublin by air taking an early morning flight
out and an evening flight back?

I know day trips to Edinburgh can be done by air and train and maybe
coach. Air will be faster, but will the time going to airports remove the
time savings?
Is a day trip to Edinburgh any more difficult than a day trip to Paris via
Eurostar?

Any recommended coach or train tour companies to Edinburgh?

GNER run the trains from London to Edinburgh. You could also think of
overnight bus travel.

http://www.gner.co.uk/GNER

http://www.britbus.com/lonedinburg.htm
Derek.

Old April 15th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Jack Campin - bogus address

Is it practical to daytrip to Dublin by air taking an early morning
flight out and an evening flight back?
I know day trips to Edinburgh can be done by air and train and maybe
coach.
Air will be faster, but will the time going to airports remove the time
savings?
Is a day trip to Edinburgh any more difficult than a day trip to Paris
via Eurostar?

What on earth is so important to do in Edinburgh that you would take
10 hours travelling to do it? (Not much difference between train and
plane, you have to get to/from the airport at both ends and wait around
after checkin).

Oxford, Cambridge, Brighton, Norwich - there are interesting cities
only an hour or two from London.

I'm near Edinburgh - I've never done a daytrip the other way and don't
expect to.

Old April 15th, 2005, 11:03 AM
John H

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 10:52:27 +0100, Jack Campin - bogus address
wrote:

[...]

I've been to Dublin on a number of occasions for the day. Flying out
on the 1st flight from Newcastle and back on the last flight. The
trip into the centre of Dublin 'should' take 30 mins, but the traffic
usually makes this unlikely.

If you've never been it's definitely a city I would recommend

John

Old April 15th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Derek F

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
[...]

============== j-c ====== @ ====== purr . demon . co . uk
==============
Jack Campin: 11 Third St, Newtongrange EH22 4PU, Scotland | tel 0131 660
4760
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/ for CD-ROMs and free | fax 0870 0554
975
stuff: Scottish music, food intolerance, & Mac logic fonts | mob 07800 739
557

If you want to see a place and have little time you will put in the effort
to get there. I once flew from LA to San Francisco for the day in case I did
not have another chance to go there. I've been back to San Franciso for
longer stays twice since then but that first day trip is the one etched on
my memory.
Derek.

Old April 16th, 2005, 10:33 AM
S Viemeister

Kevin wrote:

I know day trips to Edinburgh can be done by air and train and maybe coach.
Air will be faster, but will the time going to airports remove the time
savings?

If you can sleep on trains, I'd suggest the sleeper train. Cabins or
sleeper-seats are available. Booked well in advance, this can be
surprisingly inexpensive - and will also avoid the cost of two nights
hotel or BnB. You go from city-centre to city-centre, and have the
entire day to spend in the city.

Old April 16th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Mark Hewitt

"Derek F" wrote in message

If you want to see a place and have little time you will put in the effort
to get there. I once flew from LA to San Francisco for the day in case I
did not have another chance to go there. I've been back to San Franciso
for longer stays twice since then but that first day trip is the one
etched on my memory.
Derek.

Same here, I visited New York and I only had one afternoon and an evening. I
guess most here would say that's too short, and not to bother, but I'm
certainly glad I did as it was the highlight of my trip!

Old April 16th, 2005, 06:42 PM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

[]
I'm near Edinburgh - I've never done a daytrip the other way and don't
expect to.

Oh, when I lived in Edinburgh as a teenager, I made frequent daytrips to
London, but not for tourist reasons (which maybe disqualifies it as a
'daytrip' in this sense), and I certainly wouldn't recommend it. I seem
to remember getting the train down at around 7am, getting in before
noon, doing various things in the afternoon, and then getting the 6pm
train back up to Edinburgh.

I nearly went to Dublin a year ago for a day, on the invitation of a
friend who was doing the same thing. It was possible to get £20 ryanair
fares from Manchester that day, which was the incentive. I ended up
being to busy to go, but my friend went, and had a great time- in his
opinion a nice leisurely day(!)- and is looking forward to going back!

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net