Historian 'posed as a war hero'

Old July 4th, 2009, 02:16 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Takin & Kanoknuan

Default Historian 'posed as a war hero'

Historian 'posed as a war hero'

A military historian who posed as a war hero has been exposed as a
fantasist.

Jack Livesey claimed he won the Military Medal while serving in the
Parachute Regiment.

The Cambridgeshire author's website boasted: "He joined the Army, where,
thanks to his shooting skills, he found himself in the Parachute Regiment.

"This was his life for the next 20 years, including five tours of duty in
Northern Ireland, where he won the MM, and the Falklands War, where he
served with the 2nd Battalion."

However, the Ministry of Defence confirmed Mr Livesey served in the Army
Catering Corps for less than three years.

He was exposed after an ex-Para tipped off the Cambridge Evening News.

Former veterans told the BBC they were upset by the way he paraded his
medals.

'Sad memories'

He fooled the public for years and built up his career as a military author
and battlefield tour guide on his Army career.

Two years ago, the former soldier was a guest of honour at the 25th
anniversary commemorations of the Falklands War at the Imperial War Museum.

He spoke to BBC Look East at the time, saying: "Being here, it is very
difficult because you have got lots of happy memories and also lots of sad
memories and it is a day to come to terms with that particular war and that
incident in my life."

Derek Cole, from the Falklands Veterans Foundation, said: "We have checked
through our list of people who served there and he doesn't come up anywhere.

"I think it is disrespectful to pretend they served in the force when they
haven't.

"There are painful memories that people remember. If somebody purports to
have done it, it is disrespectful."

" I think it is disrespectful to pretend they served in the force when they
haven't "
Derek Cole

Malcolm Simpson, MBE, was 2 Para RSM during the Falklands, said: "I knew
every single soldier in the Parachute Regiment 2nd and 3rd that were awarded
a Military Medal. He doesn't come into the picture.

"There were nine men in the regiment who were given the Military Medal and
Livesey is not on the list. I knew every man in the regiment and I cannot
remember him."

Jack Livesey has authored a number of military books, including Armoured
Fighting Vehicles of World Wars I and II.

He has advised a number of military films, but some of those claims have
also been questioned.

His website states: "Jack was military adviser for the beach scene in Saving
Private Ryan."

However, his name is not included in the full cast list for the Stephen
Spielberg film.

For seven years, Mr Livesey worked at the Imperial War Museum at Duxford,
first as a volunteer, and then as a collections assistant until 2006.

Record 'not pertinent'

A museum spokesman said: "I can't comment on his military record. That was
not a qualification for the job.

"All of those roles were based on a knowledge of history, and particularly
Second World War. His military record wasn't pertinent to the museum. He
left of his own accord."

An MoD spokesman said: "Our records indicate that Jack Livesey (DOB
15/05/54) only served in the British Army in the Army Catering Corps from
December 1971 until April 1974."

Speaking to Look East outside his home, Mr Livesey stood by the website
information: "I have sent off for my military records to prove it. I have
never claimed to be in the Paras. I was attached to the Paras. I was
attached to the airborne brigade."

He maintains he was a military adviser to Saving Private Ryan.

He said: "I was contacted by them - the art department - of the film. They
were doing the Normandy Beaches.

"They were putting up some obstacles. They weren't sure which way to put
them. They phoned me up at the Imperial War Museum. There was no fee, hence
I didn't get a credit."

Later Mr Livesey told us, through a solicitor, he had a letter from the Army
confirming he had been in the Intelligence Corps for 20 years, but could not
reveal the proof because of the Official Secrets Act.

The Army has issued a further denial to his claims.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/h...re/8130351.stm

Published: 2009/07/03 06:38:23 GMT

© BBC MMIX

**Sooner or later, the truth catches up with you, as this fraudster and
fantasist Livesey found out to his cost. Exposed for the fraud that he is,
he shares much in common with that other fraudster and fantasist Steve
'Kombat' Kramer. Kramer likes to claim that he saw action in Vietnam but the
truth is that the only action Kramer saw in Vietnam was in the Catering
Corps peeling potatoes. :-)