Funny story about booking our flight for our Baltic cruise thiscoming

Old November 21st, 2006, 12:33 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jeff Gersten

Default Funny story about booking our flight for our Baltic cruise thiscoming

I had previously posted that my wife and I will be on the Star Princess
this coming august for our 30th wedding anniversary. I had also
previously mentioned that, on the advice of our travel agent, we had
booked Princess air but would like for our own cheaper fare.

Well, earlier today I called Continental. (They fly direct from Newark
and seem to have the best fare.) I got a price quote, which was going to
be good for 3 days. We seemed to be saving in the $4-500 range for the 2
of us. But, they only had one return flight and it was too early. We
were considering staying over a day in Copenhagen figuring the savings
would probably more than pay for it.

I then checked their website, and there was a MUCH LOWER fare. (Another
about $600 savings between us in addition to the earlier savings.) I
called, and asked about it. I was told that they could not do that from
the call center, but they advised that at that rate it must be an
internet special, and I should jump on it.

So, I went to the internet to book it. I kept getting an error message.
Continental cannot book this. It then gave an 800 support number, and
said to either call that number or try again later.

I called the number and discovered the problem. Princess had already
booked us on that flight (though not a flight back with Continental) The
website could not book us since we were already booked! The support
person asked if we had already paid Princess. I explained that we had
paid a deposit, but not for the flight. We had until late May to cancel
that without penalty. So, she took care of cancelling and rebooking us
(at a total savings of almost $1200 less whatever we spend in Copenhagen
the extra day.)

Old November 21st, 2006, 12:57 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray Goldenberg Ray Goldenberg is offline
Banned

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 19:33:41 -0500, (Jeff
Gersten) wrote:

(at a total savings of almost $1200 less whatever we spend in Copenhagen
the extra day.)

Hi Jeff,

Don't underestimate what a nice hotel costs in Copenhagen. vbg

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old November 21st, 2006, 02:11 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

Gersten) wrote:

(at a total savings of almost $1200 less whatever we spend in Copenhagen
the extra day.)

Hi Jeff,

Don't underestimate what a nice hotel costs in Copenhagen. vbg

Or dinner...

Nyhavn, the gorgous little port area in Copenhagen, is where I had my only
ever $18 beer.

Old November 21st, 2006, 02:13 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

Now you can go to Tivoli Garden in the evening (it's the IN thing to do in
Copenhagen in the evening). I'd suggest getting a hotel as close to Tivoli
as you can.

--Tom

Old November 21st, 2006, 04:30 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Cal Ford

Not just Copenhagen Hotels Ray .......

It is all over the World, an epidemic of prices going up. Recently booked a
group on an extended Med Cruise package. Hotels in Rome that used to run
$80 to $90 a night are now $240 and up. Unreal ......

Cal Ford
Lido Deck Cruises

In article , Ray Goldenberg says...

Old November 21st, 2006, 08:24 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
JP[_3_]

Does this escalation in hotel prices have anything to do with the currency
exchange rate or is it simply inflation?

JP

Old November 21st, 2006, 10:34 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Cal Ford

To a casual observer ..... It seems like part of it can be attributed to
adverse position of the USD to the Euro. Part of it is normal inflation of
course. But the bulk of the increase I think is because of significantly
increased demand. It seems like everybody in the world wants to be somewhere
else.

Cal Ford
Lido Deck Cruises

In article CfJ8h.5071$IW2.1996@trndny03, JP says...

Old November 21st, 2006, 11:56 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Cal Ford" wrote in message
Not just Copenhagen Hotels Ray .......

It is all over the World, an epidemic of prices going up. Recently booked
group on an extended Med Cruise package. Hotels in Rome that used to run
$80 to $90 a night are now $240 and up. Unreal ......

Cal Ford
Lido Deck Cruises

Not Unreal. It's Euros. And the low value of the US dollar.

--Tom