Cash questions while Traveling overseas (Buenos Aires)...

Old November 13th, 2004, 09:32 PM
Avian

Default Cash questions while Traveling overseas (Buenos Aires)...

Hi,

Will be in Buenos Aires for 1-week and need some advice regarding cash...

I plan to bring a few hundred dollars with me and the rest will come from
ATMs using my debit card. I'd like to have a backup, just in case I cannot
use my Debit card (lost, atm machine ate it, etc).

Credit Cards are NOT an option because I can't get real cash from them
(except small amts as advances).

Is there any arrangement I can make with my bank here in the U.S. about
accessing my cash account any other way while I am down there?

Thanks for any advice,

-Avien

PS: I'm traveling from and my bank account is in the U.S.

Old November 13th, 2004, 11:59 PM
Nicky

Hi Avian:
Traveller Checks can be a good option. You can change a TC in
Buenos Aires (downtown, monday to friday, 10:00 AM to 03:00 PM sure, and
extended time in some Money Exchange houses). But they will charge a little
fee.-

If your Bank has branch in Buenos Aires you can send a transfer (or use
their TC); but ask your bank before that.

In some ATM you can obtain US Dollars - All ATM will provide Pesos
(AR$) - The exchange rate will be always the best ... for the Bank.
You can pay with US Dollars cash in many hotels, restaurants and shops
downtown Bs. Aires. - Look the notice in the shop.
The actual exchange rate is US$ 1 = AR$ 2,95 (varies 2.92 to 2,99) - In
some shops they take 3.-

Have a good trip. Welcome to Buenos Aires

Nicky - San Andrés - Argentina

. ..

Old November 14th, 2004, 01:06 AM
John Cisarik

"Avian" wrote in message
. ..
Hi,

Will be in Buenos Aires for 1-week and need some advice regarding cash...

I plan to bring a few hundred dollars with me and the rest will come from
ATMs using my debit card. I'd like to have a backup, just in case I cannot
use my Debit card (lost, atm machine ate it, etc).

Credit Cards are NOT an option because I can't get real cash from them
(except small amts as advances).

Is there any arrangement I can make with my bank here in the U.S. about
accessing my cash account any other way while I am down there?

Thanks for any advice,

-Avien

PS: I'm traveling from and my bank account is in the U.S.

I already left a message for you on the Thorn Tree (as "NorthAmerican"), but
I'd like to add something to it: I recommended American Express traveler's
checks because others are virtually impossible to cash. I had some Thomas
Cook checks with me on one trip, and had to borrow money from my traveling
companion until the last week, when I finally found a bank in Buenos Aires
that would cash them.

Also, if you can, use your ATM card starting at the beginning of your trip,
keeping the cash you have in reserve. I had the opposite experience on
another trip, spending my cash only to find, just three days before leaving
the country, that my ATM card wouldn't work. I had to call a friend in the
U.S. and have him wire me some money by Western Union, which was given to me
in pesos, not dollars.

Have a great trip; it's a wonderful country!

Old November 14th, 2004, 11:57 AM

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004, Avian wrote:

Hi,

Will be in Buenos Aires for 1-week and need some advice regarding cash...

I plan to bring a few hundred dollars with me and the rest will come from
ATMs using my debit card. I'd like to have a backup, just in case I cannot
use my Debit card (lost, atm machine ate it, etc).

Credit Cards are NOT an option because I can't get real cash from them
(except small amts as advances).

Is there any arrangement I can make with my bank here in the U.S. about
accessing my cash account any other way while I am down there?

Better to ask your bank than Usenet!