Best beaches, Maui or Kauai?

Old March 21st, 2006, 10:30 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Best beaches, Maui or Kauai?

I am considering another trip to the islands. I have been to Maui and
the beaches were IMO the best I have seen. I was wondering how they
compare to the beaches on Kauai? Has anyone been to both places?
Thanks.

Old March 22nd, 2006, 01:27 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

I have been to both. I tend to think Maui has better beaches. Although,
Poipu Beach in the south and the beaches in the north (Hanalei &
Princeville) area are great. Actually, the Coconut Coast on the east
side is nice too (Kapaa area). I still would say Maui beachwise is
better, but Kauai's beaches and don't forget the other scenery, is well
worth a visit. They're my two favorite HI islands. :-)

Old March 22nd, 2006, 04:27 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Caveat wrote:
wrote:

I am considering another trip to the islands. I have been to Maui and
the beaches were IMO the best I have seen. I was wondering how they
compare to the beaches on Kauai? ...

Depends on what criteria you use in defining "best" -- big, small,
private, crowded, scenic, swimming, body surfing, board surfing,
snorkeling, diving, boating, wildlife, services, accessibility, stream
inlets, waterfalls, sand, rock, hiking, wind, rip tides, windward,
leeward, season, temperatures, etc. etc.

I'll bet you thought yours was an easy question, right?

We have been to most all the beaches on five islands. They all offer
something for those who go there. But, generally, the newer islands
have fewer sandy beaches, and on all islands the north shores have
much rougher water and more dangerous swimming (esp. in winter).

It's difficult to compare Maui and Kauai, but I like Makena (aka Big
Beach) on the former, and Poipu on Kauai -- although at Poipu the
beach is smaller, has rocky areas, and monk seals on that beach cause
frequent closures to protect them.

But I have favorites on all the islands.

Caveat

Yes, I guess best beaches leaves a lot to question. For us, swimming,
snorkeling, sunbathing. I really liked Big Beach, and found a suprise
to the north... We mostly stayed at the beaches in near Kihei. I'd like
to explore the are past Lahaina this time.

Old March 22nd, 2006, 05:40 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

wrote:
Caveat wrote:
wrote:
I am considering another trip to the islands. I have been to Maui and
the beaches were IMO the best I have seen. I was wondering how they
compare to the beaches on Kauai? ...

Depends on what criteria you use in defining "best" -- big, small,
private, crowded, scenic, swimming, body surfing, board surfing,
snorkeling, diving, boating, wildlife, services, accessibility, stream
inlets, waterfalls, sand, rock, hiking, wind, rip tides, windward,
leeward, season, temperatures...

Yes, I guess best beaches leaves a lot to question. For us, swimming,
snorkeling, sunbathing. I really liked Big Beach, and found a suprise
to the north...

Heh-heh, sounds like you found Little Beach. They aren't big on suntan
lines there. That started back in the Banana Patch days, which is when
I first stayed there. But the National Guard raided the place in a
helicopter assault (pakalolo growing was big in the area) and it has
never been the same since. Had some great times there, though.

We mostly stayed at the beaches in near Kihei. I'd like
to explore the are past Lahaina this time.

West of Lahaina there's not much beyond the blight of Kaanapali.
Ahumanu and Honokowai aren't much, and the area from Napili through
Fleming Beach Park is becoming another Kaanapali-like monster. The
coast further along is scenic, but untamed. (You are right across the
channel from Molokai at that point, where we saw scads of whales last
week.)

http://www.hawaiiweb.com/maui/beaches/default.htm

On Kauai, Poipu has the best weather, it's a pretty beach, but getting
to much of it is requires walking through the lobbys of expensive
resorts, or up the beach from the small public-access entrance. But my
choice of "favorite" on Kauai would go to another old haunt:
Hanakapiai, where I camped with a nubile acquaintance for a week
(before meeting my current spouse). Great memories: hiking back up to
the falls, frocklicking in the pools, playing in the sand, making love
in the seas caves. No people, no clothes, but a tough hike to there.

http://www.photoresourcehawaii.com/f...image_id=10846

Caveat
Old March 22nd, 2006, 06:13 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Caveat wrote:
wrote:
Caveat wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the information. One more Q- We did the trip to Hana. That
was a big highlight. No enough time for hiking, exploring things
though. I also liked the uncrowded, unspoiled drive on the way back. We
stopped at a beach that was all round rocks. The waves made a nice
sound there. Can't recall the name, the picture is below. Man those
roads get narrow. Also went to the volcano. We went in the day, as, we
are not getting up at 2am. Would you reccomend any other 'must see'
points in Maui?

Rocky Beach.
http://www.concreteconceptsinc.com/buzz/IMG_0810.JPG

Old March 22nd, 2006, 10:13 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

wrote:
[snip]
Thanks for the information. One more Q- We did the trip to Hana. That
was a big highlight. No enough time for hiking, exploring things
though.

The biggest mistake people make when heading for the Hana Coast is not
allowing enough time. One day is just not enough. There are a great
number of wondrous sights to be seen along that coast.

I also liked the uncrowded, unspoiled drive on the way back.
We stopped at a beach that was all round rocks. The waves made a nice
sound there. Can't recall the name, the picture is below...

Did you go back via the north shore of East Maui, or take the rough
road that skirts the south coast? The reason I ask is that the photo
doesn't look much like typical terrain on the Paia=Hana Road (which
is wet and thick with foliage), but more like the dry terrain found
along the south coast from the Seven Pools back to Makena.

Man those roads get narrow. Also went to the volcano. We
went in the day, as, we are not getting up at 2am.

Sunrise on the rim of Haleakala is one of those life-altering
experiences. Typically, the top third of the mountain is clear at
sunrise and seems to be floating above a sea of clouds. Then, as the
sun rises, the cloud layer begins to slowly rise and clouds stream
into the crater below you. They continue to rise in the crater until
they start to flow over the rim where you are standing. At that moment
you see no land, and are standing on the clouds. Quite memorable.

Would you reccomend any other 'must see' points in Maui?

Depends on how much time you have. But if you ever go back to Hana,
spend a few nights there and explore the area. One of my favorites are
the caves at Wianapanapa State Park:

According to Hawaiian legend, a princess ran away from her cruel
husband and hid there in a section of the caves that one must still
swim underwater to access. Her husband saw her reflection, swam in and
killed her by smashing her head against the rocks. The vivid color
splotches on the walls of that cave are said to be bits of her flesh,
hair, brains and blood. Each Spring the tiny shrimp who live there
turn the water bright red in deference to the slain princess and they
way she died there.

Love those Hawaiian tales.

Caveat
Old March 23rd, 2006, 07:45 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Last time we went we stayed in a tree house in the rainforest of Hana.
Good for campers/hickers. Dirt cheap...

iPeace

On 2006-03-22 17:44:04 -0600, said:

Caveat wrote:
wrote:
[snip]
[...]

The beach was along the south side, with the rough roads, etc. It was a
little hairy driving back that way, but fun.

Thanks again for the tips, I can't wait to get back.

Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:16 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On 2006-03-22 17:44:04 -0600, said:

Caveat wrote:
wrote:
[snip]
[...]

That sounds interesting. How did you find out about that?

Old March 24th, 2006, 03:07 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

If you do a day trip to Hana, start early (like 7 a.m.). I liked
staying in Upcountry (Haiku, B&B called Tropo House). It's a 20-25
minute trip to the airport, closer to Hana than the resort areas and
about 10 minutes to Hookipa Beach. It's mostly for wind surfers, but
there's a protected section where my then 10 year old son went Boogie
boarding.